shape
carat
color
clarity

rose-cut navette as engagement ring

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It can simply be fixed by a good jeweler. It likely can be fixed that no one would ever know and it should not be subject to re-breaking for any normal reason. You need to see find a jeweler accustomed to fixing such antique type items. Some jewelry repairs look like a plumber fixed the piece. A talented and skilled jeweler can definitely fix this sort of separation. It is annoying, but not a deal-breaker. Possibly the seller will admit to the problem and pay some or all of the repair costs...It can't hurt to inquire. Believe me, it is not a tragic problem with no hope.

fel

Shiny_Rock
David -- I was hoping you would respond. Can you recommend someone in the Boston area?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you got that part (resizing conditions/returnability for purchase) ironed out in advance; smart on your/her part! And I see David chimed in above, which is helpful.

I just saw the part where the shank connects to the head; that is CRAZY that they sent it to you like that with two major areas of damage. Even if it is repairable, personally, I’d be far more inclined to just return this for a full refund. There are two major areas of structural damage to the setting before he even has an opportunity to ask her to marry him and put it on her finger. That is unacceptable, and would have me always worrying about other potential breakage. I know it’s an antique, and that’s always a possibility, but to start out this way would cross my ‘mind clean’ boundary. But that’s just me.

I don’t think I’d trust them to repair it to my satisfaction, and if you decide to have it repaired, it absolutely should not be at your expense. Maybe find a qualified bench who can fix it, get an estimate, and provide that to the seller demanding they pay for the repair, or send it back and have them issue a refund.

Damn ... I’m so sorry for you/the couple.

fel

Shiny_Rock
So I have great news. After quite a bit of back and forth and advocacy, the ring vendor agreed to the extensive repair necessary to restore the ring to its former glory. It was rather extensive damage, so the repair work is going to cost about 50% of the value of the ring. That includes needed prong work, that the couple is going to pay for, so that no diamonds will be lost.

The bride-to-be is ecstatic!

In the meantime another picture. Check out those diamonds

! IMG_4413.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you mind sharing the name of the jeweller? I’m in the UK and wouldn’t want to purchase from this company.

fel

Shiny_Rock
@Maisie, since the company ultimately did the right thing here, I would not want to hurt their image by giving them a negative public review. Furthermore, given that they did fully resolve the issue, and prior to resolving it they offered a return at their expense, I don't think we should draw a negative inference about their service. Instead, I will assume they made a one-off poor choice on a bench jeweler to resize the ring, and my bet is that they will not use that individual again for future antique repairs.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful. All along I have been following this thread and thinking... if she loves it, so what if it would need to be “maintained” over time. But what you are saying is great and it sounds as though it will be very stable. Yay!!
:love:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, so glad they managed to sort it out @fel

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Maisie, since the company ultimately did the right thing here, I would not want to hurt their image by giving them a negative public review. Furthermore, given that they did fully resolve the issue, and prior to resolving it they offered a return at their expense, I don't think we should draw a negative inference about their service. Instead, I will assume they made a one-off poor choice on a bench jeweler to resize the ring, and my bet is that they will not use that individual again for future antique repairs.

Well it’s good that you would recommend them :))

Kandie

Rough_Rock
So I have great news. After quite a bit of back and forth and advocacy, the ring vendor agreed to the extensive repair necessary to restore the ring to its former glory. It was rather extensive damage, so the repair work is going to cost about 50% of the value of the ring. That includes needed prong work, that the couple is going to pay for, so that no diamonds will be lost.

The bride-to-be is ecstatic!

In the meantime another picture. Check out those diamonds

! IMG_4413.JPG

So gorgeous! We need more pics pleeezzzzz!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results