shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose cut diamonds.....

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone tell me-- what EXACTLY is a rose cut diamond? I have read over in Hangout that some places will "turn over" a regular diamond and call it a "rose cut". I am embarassed to say---I have NO idea what makes a stone a Rose cut :oops: . What are the advantages/disadvantages...are they only found in older/antique jewelry. TIA for any help.

Ps, I have tried google and the PS search engine but I am not finding a clear answer like the answers PSers give in RT.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's essentially flat on the pavillon (bottom) and the top is faceted in more or less a dome shape. The original ones are really crude with just a few facets and the modern ones look much more like half a soccer ball.

Edit: as far as pros/cons it's just a matter of taste. They don't have the brilliant light return of other cuts but they face up much larger than they weigh and I think the look is charming. I would describe the sparkle as being similar to a soap bubble. My wedding band below has modern round rose cuts.
weddingrings%20001_0.jpg

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Kelpie. I read something about an "upside down" diamond and got confused. Your rings are beautiful by the way!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I think what you read was how it irritates forum members when jewelers mount diamonds upside down and mistakenly(maliciously?) market them as rose cuts. Those should not be called rose cuts.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I also have been curious as to what exactly is a rose cut diamond.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ninama|1305429180|2922111 said:

Wow. Thank you for posting that - I hadn't seen it... gulp. :love:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the thread links. I actually put "rose cut diamonds" in the search engine but none of that came up (or, if they did, I didn't see them). Thanks again for your help...I'm off to go read the links! :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results