color
clarity

Rose cut diamond melee for 18k rose gold wedding band

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Help!
Por favor!
:pray:

I'm designing my emerald engagement ring as we speak and and am also designing my wedding band but I could use some good ole' fashion advice to help!

I want my wedding band (like my engagement ring) to also be 18k rose gold & contain the same engraving between 5 or 6 small rose cut diamonds.

I got the impression that itd be easier if I purchased the diamonds and had them sent to him for fabrication, so heres my question;

What is the best place to purchase high quality diamond melee?
Im talking 1.3mm to 2mm rose cut diamond melee.

Please let me know! Thx!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's almost always more efficient -- and less expensive -- for us consumers if the person fabricating the ring is who sources melee and diamonds that are generally used solely as side stones (e.g., trapezoids, bullets, chevrons, half-moons, etc.) Those in the trade have access to stones we consumers have no chance of getting & it's easier for them (assuming they are seasoned bench jewelers) than for most of us to quickly determine the appropriate size, whether the stones are quality ones. Has your bench jeweler actually declined to source the rose-cut melee for you... or maybe the price he's quoted you seems too high?

I used to think that Manak Jewels in Sunnyvale, CA was strictly a wholesaler who would not sell to consumers. But there's a 2018 Yelp review that suggests the Yelper was a retail customer, not in the trade.

Stuller sells only to the trade, but your bench jeweler most likely already has an account with Stuller or should be able to quickly qualify for one. Stuller offers rose-cut melee (round and oval) in a nice range of sizes; clicking on the link below will take you to the rose-cut melee inventory pages:

GIA is now screening most of Stuller's round melee
but it's not presently screening rose-cut melee. Still, I've found Stuller's own color-clarity grading to be reliable.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It's almost always more efficient -- and less expensive -- for us consumers if the person fabricating the ring is who sources melee and diamonds that are generally used solely as side stones (e.g., trapezoids, bullets, chevrons, half-moons, etc.) Those in the trade have access to stones we consumers have no chance of getting & it's easier for them (assuming they are seasoned bench jewelers) than for most of us to quickly determine the appropriate size, whether the stones are quality ones. Has your bench jeweler actually declined to source the rose-cut melee for you... or maybe the price he's quoted you seems too high?

I used to think that Manak Jewels in Sunnyvale, CA was strictly a wholesaler who would not sell to consumers. But there's a 2018 Yelp review that suggests the Yelper was a retail customer, not in the trade.

Stuller sells only to the trade, but your bench jeweler most likely already has an account with Stuller or should be able to quickly qualify for one. Stuller offers rose-cut melee (round and oval) in a nice range of sizes; clicking on the link below will take you to the rose-cut melee inventory pages:

GIA is now screening most of Stuller's round melee
but it's not presently screening rose-cut melee. Still, I've found Stuller's own color-clarity grading to be reliable.

You are friggin' awesome!
& Everything you wrote was very helpful.

I actually got so stressed out about the melee for my band that I had to stop looking.

Oddly the other day my mother came to me with a south sea pearl ring that contained 8 beautifully cut and bright white 2mm melee diamonds and offered her ring to me!
Which in my opinion is the sweetest place to source melee from ;)2

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are friggin' awesome!
& Everything you wrote was very helpful.

I actually got so stressed out about the melee for my band that I had to stop looking.

Oddly the other day my mother came to me with a south sea pearl ring that contained 8 beautifully cut and bright white 2mm melee diamonds and offered her ring to me!
Which in my opinion is the sweetest place to source melee from ;)2
Oh, that is very sweet indeed! But may I suggest that, if you haven't already done so, you let your mother know of your plans, how delighted you are to incorporate the diamonds from her ring into your band; that way, she won't be wondering why you aren't wearing the ring she gave you.

As for the South Sea pearl, you could confer with the jeweler about re-setting it into a pendant (or ring) mounting. Stuller has oodles of mountings, so I'd sure like to think there's at least one that would be suitable for the pearl & capture your fancy! If you opt for a pendant, perhaps you'd consider wearing it on your wedding day; speaking as a mom, I would feel so honored, be very touched by that. And for a more casual look, you could switch the pearl pendant to a silk or leather cord & easily change up the colors.

P.S. I hope you'll share pics with us of your e-ring and wedding band when completed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results