shape
carat
color
clarity

Rope Pearls

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
What is the maximum size of pearls for a rope pearl necklace? It's all personal I suppose, but is there a certain diameter limit due to weight and flexibility. The ladies on this forum are really creative. I would love to know what your opinion :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. People here have Tahitian ropes which range from 9-12mm, so you'd be safe going up to that size.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
It depends on the length of the rope and how much your neck can handle.

I prefer smaller pearls in the 6-8 mm range for long ropes. The 9-12 mm range is just too heavy for my neck for long ropes.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1462495798|4027881 said:
Hmmm. People here have Tahitian ropes which range from 9-12mm, so you'd be safe going up to that size.

Thank you cmd! I appreciate the confirmation that 12mm would work. My neck would probably could only handle a 35" rope in that size though. Glad to know a rope with large pearls wouldn't look strange. :D

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves|1462497456|4027892 said:
It depends on the length of the rope and how much your neck can handle.

I prefer smaller pearls in the 6-8 mm range for long ropes. The 9-12 mm range is just too heavy for my neck for long ropes.

BWeaves, you brought up a good point! I don't think I could go all day with a 60" rope made up of 12mm pearls. :nono:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
How do you plan to wear it? Smaller diameter pearls knot well, large pearls do not. Oh! Pun alert! Do not knot large pearls.

I amuse myself. :naughty:

I have a 9mm 36" rope I never wear. I prefer the look of my 6-7mm pearl rope.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the type of pearls though. Baroque Tahitians will look like 4RG's gorgeous multicolor strand (in the previous Tahitian sale thread) in that size range, and would look great. Round white pearls OTOH might look better in a smaller size (see Beweaves' to die for natural white Hanadama rope). I also think that ropes tend to look better slightly less graduated than shorter strands.

You'll also want to check scale on yourself personally. I have a petite metallic rope that I rarely wear because it's petite and I am not.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Petite pearl ropes look great when doubled up ... knotted ... doubled with a cameo "clasp" ... I think smaller pearls have more room for play.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My weight limit is probably 40 inches of 10-11mm pearls. I've two ropes that go up to 16mm but they also have smaller 7mm pearls as well (my faux harvest n wave strand). I know some ladies with stronger necks so it's very much personal preference/limit I guess.

Cmd: what's the size of your metallic rope if you don't mind sharing? I'm thinking of getting a white rope but can't decide on the mm size.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icy_jade|1462502119|4027922 said:
Cmd: what's the size of your metallic rope if you don't mind sharing? I'm thinking of getting a white rope but can't decide on the mm size.

It's 6-7mm. It was in the 2014 July sale (the one with the silver S clasp). I pretty much only wear it doubled around my larger metallic strand (this is what I was wearing when I got the ironic comment a couple of years ago).

_3439.jpeg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Length is also a factor. I have one rope that is 100", and a couple at 60". If they had 9-10mm pearls, they'd be far too heavy.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Depending on the length a Tahitian rope is too heavy for most women. A 12mm rope would look very odd too.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. For round Tahitian ropes, the typical size that I have seen offered is around the 10 mm range. Because baroques are more elongated, the slightly larger size seems to be ok. Freshwater ropes and akoya ropes tend to be much smaller.

I sometimes connect my baroque Tahitian strands (which are around 10 - 12 mm) into a 54 inch rope that I wear doubled. That's the weight limit for me.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1462501471|4027915 said:
How do you plan to wear it? Smaller diameter pearls knot well, large pearls do not. Oh! Pun alert! Do not knot large pearls.

I amuse myself. :naughty:

I have a 9mm 36" rope I never wear. I prefer the look of my 6-7mm pearl rope.

:lol: Love the pun! That's another good point about knotting the pearls, which I would like to have the option . Probably need to keep round pearls in a smaller diameter as compared to baroque pearls. Thank You! :appl:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1462501684|4027917 said:
I think it depends on the type of pearls though. Baroque Tahitians will look like 4RG's gorgeous multicolor strand (in the previous Tahitian sale thread) in that size range, and would look great. Round white pearls OTOH might look better in a smaller size (see Beweaves' to die for natural white Hanadama rope). I also think that ropes tend to look better slightly less graduated than shorter strands.

You'll also want to check scale on yourself personally. I have a petite metallic rope that I rarely wear because it's petite and I am not.

Great points! I am sort of tall and with heels, I am taller! :lol: Plus, my hair is at least shoulder length and full . . . that means no petite pearls for me!

cmd, hope this doesn't sound weird, but I wish I could apply lipstick like you do. You always look so "put together"!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
My weight limit is probably 40 inches of 10-11mm pearls. I've two ropes that go up to 16mm but they also have smaller 7mm pearls as well (my faux harvest n wave strand). I know some ladies with stronger necks so it's very much personal preference/limit I guess.

More good things to ponder . . . the weight substantially increases with larger pearls, plus I love to layer! :love: Don't need to stress the neck! :naughty:

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1462553251|4028145 said:
I agree. Depending on the length a Tahitian rope is too heavy for most women. A 12mm rope would look very odd too.

True and True!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ClassyRocks|1462586285|4028377 said:
cmd, hope this doesn't sound weird, but I wish I could apply lipstick like you do. You always look so "put together"!

I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! Especially since most of the time I feel like I'm a hot mess!

I have the best luck with lip pencils (with a dab of matching colour lipstick on top), or the pencil style lipsticks. It's easier to stay in the lines that way.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1462594497|4028436 said:
ClassyRocks|1462586285|4028377 said:

I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! Especially since most of the time I feel like I'm a hot mess!

I have the best luck with lip pencils (with a dab of matching colour lipstick on top), or the pencil style lipsticks. It's easier to stay in the lines that way.

You are beautiful! Not only on the outside, I can tell you are beautiful inside too! :saint:
I am going to try your tip tomorrow . . . I have a drawerful of liners and lipsticks :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Aside from what your neck can comfortably bear, I think it's probably just whatever your personal style is and also if you tend to dress up a lot or not.

Personally, I prefer small pearls for ropes and large pearls for short strands. I usually dress very casually so a rope of large dramatic pearls wouldn't get much use here. I have several ropes and 48 inches seems to be my sweet spot. I prefer 6-7 mm or 7-8 mm. Mine are all freshwaters. I have lavender, pink, white metallic, dyed black and dyed gray. I usually wear them long and knotted.

This is 6-7mm.

wmp_1_.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
seaurchin|1462674426|4028841 said:
Aside from what your neck can comfortably bear, I think it's probably just whatever your personal style is and also if you tend to dress up a lot or not.

Personally, I prefer small pearls for ropes and large pearls for short strands. I usually dress very casually so a rope of large dramatic pearls wouldn't get much use here. I have several ropes and 48 inches seems to be my sweet spot. I prefer 6-7 mm or 7-8 mm. Mine are all freshwaters. I have lavender, pink, white metallic, dyed black and dyed gray. I usually wear them long and knotted.

This is 6-7mm.

wmp_1_.jpg

Thank you so much seaurchin! :appl: I do want a strand that I can knot, and yours looks perfect. :love: I am getting so much wonderful advice and ideas. Hoping that other members will benefit from all of the wisdom and pictures too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1462516380|4027988 said:

It's 6-7mm. It was in the 2014 July sale (the one with the silver S clasp). I pretty much only wear it doubled around my larger metallic strand (this is what I was wearing when I got the ironic comment a couple of years ago).

Thanks! The neck shot is really helpful! I'm thinking of 8mm for a 60 inch rope that I can wear doubled or tripled. Dunno if I should go bigger but looks like should not go smaller I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results