shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie who has done a bunch of reading, needing some help!

JSmith547

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a diamond ring. I've done a ton of reading, mainly through this forum and education websites so I feel like I have some idea of what's going on! :lol: I've also gone to a few stores to see diamonds in person. One thing to note, I was really surprised to see what Helzberg considers a masterpiece diamond. They lady showed me a .75 I, V2 diamond. It was beautiful but I think that had alot to do with the cut.

Anyways, I'm looking a round diamond in the 3/4 range for ~ $4500. It's going to go in a platinum pave setting with .23 diamonds in it. The setting is on Blue Nile and they have a 10% off setting/engraving coupon code, so that always helps. Therefore, I'm looking at BN for the diamond.

I've found the following two stones for the same price:

1) .75 carat, Signature Ideal, H, VS1, Depth: 61.8% , Table: 57%, crown angle: 34.5 , pavilion: 40.8, HCA Score: 1.4, Florescence: Medium
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&builder=BYOR&pid=LD02240995

2) .73 carat, Ideal, H, VVS2, Depth: 60.9% , Table: 56%, crown angle: 34.5 , pavilion: 40.6, HCA Score: .7, Florescence: None
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&builder=BYOR&pid=LD02222134

Before I make a purchase, I'll ask for a Visual Florescence test (BN did it for me with another diamond) to make sure it isn't visable in normal lighting conditions. Assuming all checks out,It seems to me that #1 is the better option...am I wrong?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Rookie who has done a bunch of reading, needing some hel

+1 for #1

re #1 - I like the medium fluor, the medium girdle, and the Signature Ideal upgrade option - I ran HCA too but came up with 0.6 (twice) for this stone - I ran AGA and came up with solid 1A score (1As in every category) - I like this stone alot

re #2 - very similar numbers - HCA 0.6 and AGA 1A (all 1As but for 1B in pav depth) - but no fluor and no upgrade

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ditto to marymm

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

I know you said you were looking at BN, but just thought I would throw this one out at you

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1407807.asp

HCA
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.1 - Excellent
within TIC range

JSmith547

Rough_Rock

Stone-cold11|1316357112|3020084 said:
Do not like the BN SI's GCAL report. Look at the brilliance analysis, it looks worse than their scale for VG in performance.

EDT:
If eye-clean, this looks much better in the brilliance analysis.
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-...tep=DIAMONDS_STEP&builder=BYOR&pid=LD02184766

I see your concern Stonecold. The diamond you linked to looks better in the actual photo as well. Although, it also looks significantly bigger too and I know the difference between .81 an .75 shouldn't be as noticable as it is in the picture....makes me wonder if the .81 just got a better photo taken.

The diamonds graded out the same on the AGA/NAJA tool, but the above diamond graded as a 1.4 on the HCA tool.

I spoke with a BN consultant on the phone, she told me that all Signature Ideal cut diamonds are eye-clean no matter the clarity. Just as a test, I looked for any round Signature Ideal cut diamonds with an SI2 clarity and none showed up (no matter price, size, etc.). Also, they only go as low as VS2 for emerald cut signature ideal, so I'm guessing she's correct. Also, she said the .81 has a .2 mm difference in size which is about the thickness of 2/10 of a dime.

Thoughts between #1 and the diamond Stonecold posted?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like Stone's suggestion. I think it's a very lovely stone and you'll be please with it. I don't see the point in higher clarity if this diamond is eyeclean and .2 is an eye visible difference in size. I think it's going to be a really lovely stone!

I saw that you picked the setting already... which one did you pick?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

did she pick the setting or did you? it has a very distinctive style so I would make sure she likes it before spending 2k on the setting.

also IMO that setting overwhelms diamonds smaller than 1 carat.

JSmith547

Rough_Rock

slg47|1316390091|3020344 said:
did she pick the setting or did you? it has a very distinctive style so I would make sure she likes it before spending 2k on the setting.

also IMO that setting overwhelms diamonds smaller than 1 carat.

I picked it based on criteria she gave me and ran it by her best friends and sister who gave it a thumbs up according to what she's told them.

I was a bit concerned about going smaller than 1 carat, but I looked at the recently purchased rings with that setting and I thought they looked great.There is the same setting without the the diamonds: http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_19792,, but IMO you can't really see the floral pattern without the accent diamonds.

I appreciate all the advice and welcome other opinions about diamond and setting.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the setting with a 0.76 ct. Round G-Color, SI2-Clarity, Ideal Cut diamond: http://tinypic.com/r/23t1q4j/7...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the setting is lovely. It also wouldn't be my choice for the .80 though as it is very wide. However if her sister has given it a heads up who are we to quibble!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I agree, I don't like the flora vida setting without the diamonds.

I am not crazy about that setting but I am not your gf :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

3.5 is better and I do like that setting.

I'd try to keep it under 3 personally, but that's me.

JSmith547

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1316492049|3021163 said:
3.5 is better and I do like that setting.

I'd try to keep it under 3 personally, but that's me.

are there any guideline ratios as far as setting width to diamond size? For example, setting> 3.5mm needs diamond>.75 carats.

While I like that setting, I don't get/see the floral-y aspect that I do from the original flora vida setting...which is something I know my gf likes. Decisions, Decisions....

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think part of the concern of a 4mm width is that, to some people's eyes, it can have the effect of minimizing a sub-carat stone - some people find a 2mm width or a shank that reverse-tapers as it approaches the center stone can maximize a sub-carat stone. This is more a matter of personal taste and preference rather than hard-and-fast rules.

I love the floral effect of the Flora Vida, and the .81ct you've chosen should appear larger the 0.76ct stone featured in the "recently purchased" gallery -- basically you'll have a 6mm stone on top of a 4mm mount.

But what is your GF's ring size? And, do you think you'd be selecting the matching wedding band? That would make the wedding set come up to 8mm wide -- which may or may not work well on your GF's finger. Or maybe you're thinking a slim plain wedding band? Either way, I'm wondering if the side surprise diamonds on the Flora Vida ER would hit up against a wedding band?

Another option perhaps is to go with a slimmer ER and match it up with the Flora Vida wedding band...

JSmith547

Rough_Rock

Found this setting that also has the floraly/vintage look she is looking for.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-platinum_19837

With this .84 diamond: http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD02262637&builder=BYOR&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP

Scored a .6 on the HCA and the following on AGA:
Tab Percent: 1A
Crown Angle: 1A
Crown Height: 1A
Pavilion Depth: 1B
Girdle: 1A
Depth: 1A
Polish: 1A
Symmetry: 1A
TotalGrade: 1A

Also, the optical brilliance on this diamond looks the best out of any that I've seen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results