shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie Buyer - Polish / Symmetry/ Girdle/Rapp Sheet??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GVS2

Rough_Rock
That icon is what I feel like!!! I have been looking for a couple of weeks, looking on DT and this forum, reading as much as I can on every website, and checking out every store in my town... Here are a few questions that might help all rookie buyers. Thanks in advance for advice!!

1. Would I be able to tell the difference between a faceted girdle, and one that is not? The diamond I like most, which I''ll describe below, has a medium girdle (GIA cert DOES NOT say faceted, so I assume it is not). Will the faceted girdle sparkle more?

2. The diamond I found has good/good polish/symmetry. Is this o.k. or should I be going for better? The diamond is a suprise, so I can''t tell my GF, but I know when she sees other diamonds, she always says that sparkle is most important to her, not size...

3. I went to a jewler today who was using a Rappaport sheet from March 2003. Is this current? How often does it come out? They were offering a "5% discount to Rapp".

4. I have a very distant cousin the jewlery business who says she can get me 12-13% off Rapp... is this a good discount?

5. The Diamond is:
1.21 Carat
G color
VS2 Clarity
Floresence: None
Cullet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Table 58
Depth 61.7
price: $6,925

Thanks for any help!!
read.gif
read.gif
21.gif
read.gif
read.gif
read.gif
read.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
Before you get any help here, you'll likely need to report some other data on the stone.
See if they'll give you a sarin or megascope report. Or simply ask them for the crown and pavillion angles, etc. If they don't know this data or are not willing to give it to you, then it's hard to know more about the stone, and the experts here will likely agree and want more data.

Hope this helps, hopefully they'll have this information.
Good ,luck!

10.gif

GVS2

Rough_Rock
If they don't have this information, then should I walk? They said it is a "Tiffany Ideal"... whatever that means. Nothing can be determined with that information? What about the other more general questions? Thanks!!

GVS2

Rough_Rock
Can anyone help? Even with the questions that aren't specific to that diamond? Thanks!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/15/2003 8:30:35 AM GVS2 wrote:

Can anyone help? Even with the questions that aren't specific to that diamond? Thanks!

----------------
Ah, but see, all the questions DO relate to the diamond.

That price may be good if the diamond is an excellent make (cut).....but we don't know that until you get the information that tells us this. The price may be too high if the diamond isn't an excellent make. It's not as simple as saying "Yes, that's a good price"....it depends on what you GET for it.

Think of this like buying a car. You won't likely get meaningful information if you ask "is $20,000 a good price for a car?" No one could answer that question meaningfully unless they asked you ......What kind of car? How old is it? How much mileage? What options?

Same thing......if you can get meaningful information about the diamond, you're much more likely to get meaningful (or any) responses! Good luck.

GVS2

Rough_Rock
How can I get this information if they don't have it? They will let me take the diamond if I put a credit card on file... (I would think that is a good ting, since they know I could get it appraised). Who could I take it to, to get the crown and pavillion #'s?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
From the information you posted, the diamond seems to be very very nice. Near colorless, good clarity & the table & depth % are good. Price is good. A green light from just this infor. But, you really need more information & a visual to make an informed decision.

As far as the girdle, are you sure it is not faceted? I'm no expert & I will defer if wrong - but I thought most girdles are faceted.

Also, what are the dimensions? This information should be on the cert & easily obtained.

At the end of the day, your eyes & the eyes of an independent appraiser will help your decision. An indepenent appraiser should be able to supply you with the crown & pav. angles.

Good luck.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Most girdles are faceted, but some aren't. It doesn't really make a big difference. Actually, the natural, unfaceted girdle could make the color look better.

Tiffany Ideal?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
What does that mean?
The #'s look nice and there are good chances that this stone has a nice make, but we can tell only if you get additional data.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
"3. I went to a jewler today who was using a Rappaport sheet from March 2003. Is this current? How often does it come out? They were offering a "5% discount to Rapp".

4. I have a very distant cousin the jewlery business who says she can get me 12-13% off Rapp... is this a good discount?"

I read somewhere that you should expect a minimum of 10% off Rapp. The experts can correct me here if I get it wrong, but the Rappaport sheet is a pricing list for RETAIL prices, meaning the high end as a starting point. I know for a fact that you can get at lest in the teens off Rapp, I don't konw what the best you can expect is.

There are some pricing guidelines under price stats above. Once you know the croan and pav angles, you can determine the cut grade, and then see how your pricing lines up with those.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results