shape
carat
color
clarity

Romantic or Realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies!
2.gif

So here is the thing... SO and I were talking about rings and all, and we don''t know if we want to get his mom involved! SO doesn''t really want to because it''s supposed to be "our" ring and we have a feeling she''ll have too much opinion on it, annoy my SO and get everyone upset.... BUT the thing is, she has a connection and knows a diamond wholesaler that sells loose diamond as well as pre-made settings for unbelievable prices (she recently purchased a 3-side pave band, double halo setting for less than $500... I saw it yesterday and went
23.gif
). There is no way we can get those prices if she doesn''t bring us there (they are not open to public).

So should we be romantic, do our own thing and surprise her (at this point, she doesn''t even know an engagement is in the near future!), or be realistic and get her involve to save some major bucks?
33.gif

IHB~

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Save the bucks! But do all your research first - take a list, or even photos! - so you know what you want to look at first, and to help you be firm...enlist the help of the sales assistant, make the assistant your ally in face of any possible onslaught from an over enthusiastic mum!
Does mum have good taste?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have her intro your SO to him, and let HIM do the talking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ve disproved the "great deal wholesaler" on here many, many times. You generally get exactly what you pay for or less. A person who calls himself a wholesaler but sells to the public is NOT a wholesaler. The product may or may not be what they say it is, and often there is no return policy. And I would strongly advise you not to involve his mother. You''re far better off getting help on PriceScope, seriously.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 3:19:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
We've disproved the 'great deal wholesaler' on here many, many times. You generally get exactly what you pay for or less. A person who calls himself a wholesaler but sells to the public is NOT a wholesaler. The product may or may not be what they say it is, and often there is no return policy. And I would strongly advise you not to involve his mother. You're far better off getting help on PriceScope, seriously.
I agree. If it looks like a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 3:24:03 PM
Author: gwendolyn

We''ve disproved the ''great deal wholesaler'' on here many, many times. You generally get exactly what you pay for or less. A person who calls himself a wholesaler but sells to the public is NOT a wholesaler. The product may or may not be what they say it is, and often there is no return policy. And I would strongly advise you not to involve his mother. You''re far better off getting help on PriceScope, seriously.
I have to disagree - my other half did his research before buying my ring and he got my GIA certifiied diamond stone at a great price. If you can save some $$$ and get the ring you want then do it
2.gif

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
We've disproved the 'great deal wholesaler' on here many, many times. You generally get exactly what you pay for or less. A person who calls himself a wholesaler but sells to the public is NOT a wholesaler. The product may or may not be what they say it is, and often there is no return policy. And I would strongly advise you not to involve his mother. You're far better off getting help on PriceScope, seriously.

I can understand your point. From what I know, they are not open to the public. The connection that she has is through a good friend (I met her before), who owns a jewelery business for many years (oversea and locally). Their business often buy from this wholesaler, that's why SO's mom can benefit from it. I guess if we go with this route, we have to do a lot of homework...

Another thing that is keeping me from this wholesaler is that I probably won't get the ring of my dream since they are all pre-made settings...
15.gif

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:23:10 PM
Author: LaraOnline
Save the bucks! But do all your research first - take a list, or even photos! - so you know what you want to look at first, and to help you be firm...enlist the help of the sales assistant, make the assistant your ally in face of any possible onslaught from an over enthusiastic mum!

Does mum have good taste?

Um...I''d say mum have good taste, she is pretty funky for her age. But we have different taste so...it might still be a problem. But yea, I definitely will have my list and get SO''s agreement so we can be as firm as possible!

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I think that if I were in your situation, I would definitely have mom involved to see what kind of good deal you can get, but ahead of time come up with specs and styles that you like and what you really want to get. That way mom can''t jump in and change what you two have decided already about style, size, specs, etc.

Also, just because you go there, doesn''t mean you have to buy and if they don''t have what you want, no matter how good the price - don''t buy it. You have to be happy and you''ll be wearing this ring hopefully (unless there''s a future upgrade) forever, so I would say find something that makes you say "WOW" not "Oh that''s a good deal"
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:24:13 PM
Author: Londongirl1

We''ve disproved the ''great deal wholesaler'' on here many, many times. You generally get exactly what you pay for or less. A person who calls himself a wholesaler but sells to the public is NOT a wholesaler. The product may or may not be what they say it is, and often there is no return policy. And I would strongly advise you not to involve his mother. You''re far better off getting help on PriceScope, seriously.

I have to disagree - my other half did his research before buying my ring and he got my GIA certifiied diamond stone at a great price. If you can save some $$$ and get the ring you want then do it
2.gif
I''m ALL for saving money, but with pave settings I am *extremely* dubious. And this isn''t even just any pave, but "3 sided pave, double halo setting for less than $500"??? Sorry, but that''s a ''too good to be true'' deal--maybe it looks fab now, but for that money, it seems likely that the stones will start falling out left and right before long.

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 1:09:54 PM
Date: 3/15/2009 5:24:13 PM

Author: Londongirl1

2.gif

I'm ALL for saving money, but with pave settings I am *extremely* dubious. And this isn't even just any pave, but '3 sided pave, double halo setting for less than $500'??? Sorry, but that's a 'too good to be true' deal--maybe it looks fab now, but for that money, it seems likely that the stones will start falling out left and right before long.

Yup, I totally agree with you on this one. I didn't want to sound mean, but I also asked Mom why the price is so low, and she said they got a mass shipment oversea and she basically got it at cost. I'm no expert in diamond settings, but I examined the ring close up and the workmanship looked decent... I guess we'll tell by time
3.gif

In any case, I spoke with SO about this and we agreed on doing our own homework and research first, and when we have a good understanding of what we want and the prices around town, then we'll mention it to Mom and just go take a look at what this "wholesaler" has to offer. That way, we kill our curiosity while Mom can't "blame" us for not getting her involved
31.gif

And yes, I will definitely go for something that I love rather than settling for a good deal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results