shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolling ring...Cartier vs. other vendors

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been eyeing thin tri-colored rolling rings for a while now, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go with Cartier's 1.5 mm trinity ring, or go with someone else. I've checked Rollingring's site but I'm not impressed with the pictures. I worry about the quality of their rings (again, just based on the pics).

I don't care at all about getting a ring (or any piece of jewelry, for that matter) with a brand name like Cartier. I do know that their rings are quality pieces though. Do you know if Cartier can do their engraving on the inside of their rings? I'd actually prefer not to see their logo.

So, if you were getting a tri-colored rolling ring, would you pay the high price of Cartier and get theirs or would you go with someone else? If you'd choose another vendor, who would you choose and why?

No matter who I'd get it from, I've decided that the thin bands would look best on me. Plus, I like the delicate look.

TIA for your help/suggestions!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a "brand" seeker or anything like that, either. However, I just almost don't see the point of having the rolling ring without it being Cartier because the ring is unique and so known as theirs. I think I'd like a 2mm one, so I'm waiting for the perfect width to be made! ;)) I also think their quality is really nice.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
+1

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I am in the process of getting a rolling ring for my 30th birthday! I have seen the pictures on Rolling Ring and I think they look very well made. Also, when I called to ask about sizing, they were very nice on the phone and answered all my questions. I've done a search on the forums here and everyone who has bought from them has been very happy with the quality. They are solid gold. I think with Cartier, like anything, you are paying for the name. It's like Tiffany. People want the classic Tiffany setting and are willing to pay more for the blue box and experience and a beautiful diamond that one could also get at a different vendor in a similar setting for much less money. However, some poeple just want the name and the quality that is tied to it. For my budget, Rolling Ring is fine. :twirl: I'm either going to go with Rolling Ring or go the custom route with my local jeweler who did my wedding set. I want one of the bands set with 5 princess cut diamonds I'd like to recycle from a band I currently don't wear. None of the rings on Rolling Ring have princess cut as an option, so I need to speak with them to figure out which route would be most cost effective - buy the ring from Rolling ring and have my jeweler set the diamonds or have my jeweler do the entire project.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the Trinity ring, I do not think you are just paying for the name. I've noticed that the rose gold band from some of the other vendors is more copper in appearance than rose. Cartier has the rose gold just right. I have the Cartier Trinity with scattered diamonds and would go with the orginal on this piece. I have had mine for several years. Take a polishing cloth to it every one in awhile and it looks like new :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am a brand seeker. I bought my Cartier (diamond, sapphire and ruby) rolling ring from Signed Pieces and I don't know how it looked the day it was purchased, but it is fabu all these years later. Some items really are "worth" being original.

In case you are looking for an Estate Cartier ring, last time I checked Oakgem had a RR or two...

cheers--Sharon

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you cheked out ebay? I have a small ring size and I've found a few authentic ones (even with stones...alas not in my size) for 500-600.00. What size are you looking for? You may be able to get one gently used for the "cheaper" price of the not Cartier one :naughty:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Vintagelover -- I've never bought anything from ebay but I did look there, just to see what was out there. I didn't find anything in my size (4.75 - 5).

Canuk -- Your ring sounds beautiful! I checked Signed Pieces but they appear not to sell jewelry anymore. :confused: I think I'd prefer a new piece as opposed to an estate piece but I did check out Oakgem's site. Thanks for the suggestion!

Risingsun -- I love your ring! Yours is one I kept finding every time I did a search here. It's gorgeous! It's good to know that the color of the Cartier RG band is truly rose rather than copper. It's almost a fine line for me though, as I don't want something PINK, you know?

Mrsacornblue (I'm wondering what that means!) -- Welcome to PS! Thanks for recommending rollingring's site. I hope you'll share pics once you get a ring, whichever way you to choose to get it.

Thanks Danny and DS! I see your point about going with Cartier. I KNOW the quality would be great. It's something I'll keep thinking about.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, I would love to have a Cartier rolling ring with diamonds! Do you have to go up a size to wear one? I will have to check eBay!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
Hi Zoe,
Thank you for the welcome! Mrsacornblue is a screen name that I use online....it's a combination of a nickname for my husband (acorn) and my favorite color (blue). I use it on all the message boards I frequent which is why I chose to use it here...easy to remember :wink2:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoe- on my ring, the Cartier logo is super small (b/c the ring itself is super small!). I can only see it if I stick my nose right up to it.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1307822831|2943484 said:
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Vintagelover -- I've never bought anything from ebay but I did look there, just to see what was out there. I didn't find anything in my size (4.75 - 5).

Canuk -- Your ring sounds beautiful! I checked Signed Pieces but they appear not to sell jewelry anymore. :confused: I think I'd prefer a new piece as opposed to an estate piece but I did check out Oakgem's site. Thanks for the suggestion!

Risingsun -- I love your ring! Yours is one I kept finding every time I did a search here. It's gorgeous! It's good to know that the color of the Cartier RG band is truly rose rather than copper. It's almost a fine line for me though, as I don't want something PINK, you know?

Mrsacornblue (I'm wondering what that means!) -- Welcome to PS! Thanks for recommending rollingring's site. I hope you'll share pics once you get a ring, whichever way you to choose to get it.

Thanks Danny and DS! I see your point about going with Cartier. I KNOW the quality would be great. It's something I'll keep thinking about.

Thank you, Zoe. I believe if you do get the Cartier Trinity, you will be very happy with your choice :))

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I have a cartier trinity (the XL one, I love large rings) and since I got it 4 years ago I'm in love with it and wear it almost every day. It's not only the brand name you're paying for, it's super quality (I have few scratches and the white gold doesn't turn yellow at all as I feared when I got it). Plus, if you don't like the Cartier engraving you can roll your ring so it doesn't show ;-)

Everytime I look at it I know it's a Cartier and so do all my friends and relatives. The Trinity ring has a history, it's not just another rolling ring and it makes it special into my eyes day after day.

It's not my most expensive ring but until I receive my e-ring it remains my favourite!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1307842374|2943711 said:
Hi Zoe- on my ring, the Cartier logo is super small (b/c the ring itself is super small!). I can only see it if I stick my nose right up to it.

Good point! Your ring is the one that made me decide that I *had* to have one. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, you've all convinced me. It looks like I'll be getting the Cartier ring. Thanks everyone!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the "Cartier club" ! I've only had great experiences so far with them :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm psyched, Frenchcut! It won't be for a while, but at least I've made up my mind (it took FOREVER!). When the time comes, I'll be going to Cartier. :))

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Zoe- I was thinking about this ring and just wanted to let you know, in my opinion, that the very thin one really is too thin to showcase the 3 gold colors. A lot of times it looks like an indistinct blob of gold on my finger- I think the larger sizes would be much better at displaying the colors.

Also- despite what Cartier claims re: their customer service, I've had three very bad experiences with them, so much to the point that I will never purchase from them again.

Having said that, I do love the ring!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, LS. I really need to go to a boutique and check them out in person. I love the way the 1.5 mm rings looks on your model hands. :bigsmile: The only concern I have with the 2.9mm ring is that if each band is 2.9 mm, then the whole ring may look too wide on my small hands/short fingers.

I'll have to see though. Thanks again!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1307972772|2944678 said:
Thanks for the tip, LS. I really need to go to a boutique and check them out in person. I love the way the 1.5 mm rings looks on your model hands. :bigsmile: The only concern I have with the 2.9mm ring is that if each band is 2.9 mm, then the whole ring may look too wide on my small hands/short fingers.

I'll have to see though. Thanks again!
Zoe~ you have seen the ring on my hand. I think the 2.9mm is a great size. I choose to wear mine on the middle finger of my right hand. It just looks good to me there. That might be something to think about. More room on that finger. It makes a nice counterbalance to an engagement ring :))

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, when shopping for a trinity ring years ago, I stopped in the Cartier boutique on Newbury Street many times.

I agree with what the PPs have said--the trinity ring is a Cartier trademark, I find the color of their rose gold very appealing and you CAN tell a difference in quality between the Cartier trinity ring and the generic rolling ring.

I ended up getting the generic version (in 18K gold) because I hated the idea of paying such a high markup for Cartier and because I was buying it as a backup wedding band to mix things up a bit (not for everyday wear). That being said, I WOULD have paid a bit more for a second-hand Cartier trinity ring because I really did like it more.

My point is that I do like my rolling ring, but if it weren't for the very high markup, I would prefer the Cartier ring, hands down.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe, did you ever get your ring? If so, what size did you go with? I'm having the same debate myself over size....

BoulderGal

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A late addition ....

What I find sort of funny about the Trinity ring being considered a Cartier "classic" is that it's sort of like the Tiffany Bezet: the rebranding of a popular, universal design! Tri-color rolling rings weren't invented by Cartier - in point of fact, their original name hints at their origins a lot more clearly ... Russian wedding band, which have been popular since at least the 19th century. Cartier, in contrast, only released their version in 1924. Fun fact found on the internet (well, in Harper's Bazaar's cache, circa May 1st, 2009):

"Released in 1924, this iconic collection boasts three colors of 18-karat gold that symbolize the different stages of a relationship: white for friendship, rose for love, and yellow for fidelity."

Which is, I have to admit, sort of sweet.

But even given all that? Unless I could find an eternity version for less (25K is just TOO MUCH for me to pay for melee), I probably would go with Cartier just for the basics. I feel like the big-name houses, even with their mark-ups, give a nice shot of luxury on their staple items, and I'm as susceptible to the little red box as anybody else. Plus, at this point, it's a highly successful rebranding, and I think it's sort of worth it to be able to say, "Why, yes!" when somebody says, "Is that an X?"

That said, I really hope the Bezet doesn't take off. Man, does that get up my nose ....

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I'm getting excited about "rolling rings". Where I come from, a town in England with a well-known jewellery quarter, there are many, many Russian wedding rings in the shop windows in all widths. I've always known them as Russian wedding rings and as a generic design. I've only just become aware that Cartier has a famous one called the Trinity. I looked at their website and saw that the smallest is 2.9mm and it's $1,000. The 4mm one is $1350. I don't think they are a bad prices at all for such substantial Cartier rings! Anyway, many years ago I bought a Russian wedding ring from the jewellery quarter at home. I think it's 2mm, it cost 40 pounds as the price of gold was much lower then, and I still wear it and get a lot of pleasure out of it. I could really fancy a Cartier version though... :naughty:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1321115395|3060313 said:
A late addition ....

What I find sort of funny about the Trinity ring being considered a Cartier "classic" is that it's sort of like the Tiffany Bezet: the rebranding of a popular, universal design! Tri-color rolling rings weren't invented by Cartier - in point of fact, their original name hints at their origins a lot more clearly ... Russian wedding band, which have been popular since at least the 19th century. Cartier, in contrast, only released their version in 1924. Fun fact found on the internet (well, in Harper's Bazaar's cache, circa May 1st, 2009):

"Released in 1924, this iconic collection boasts three colors of 18-karat gold that symbolize the different stages of a relationship: white for friendship, rose for love, and yellow for fidelity."

Which is, I have to admit, sort of sweet.

But even given all that? Unless I could find an eternity version for less (25K is just TOO MUCH for me to pay for melee), I probably would go with Cartier just for the basics. I feel like the big-name houses, even with their mark-ups, give a nice shot of luxury on their staple items, and I'm as susceptible to the little red box as anybody else. Plus, at this point, it's a highly successful rebranding, and I think it's sort of worth it to be able to say, "Why, yes!" when somebody says, "Is that an X?"

That said, I really hope the Bezet doesn't take off. Man, does that get up my nose ....

But, but... I thought they "invented" it for Jean Couteau. Do you want to shatter all of my illusions in one day?! :???:

Seriously, it's a "puzzle ring" derivation which type of ring has existed since time.

madhavajay

Rough_Rock
Hi Circe,
I am interested in your suggested history of the trinity ring and russia.
Does anyone know where I can find more information on this the internet seems empty of accurate / legitimate sources on information behind the history of triple rolling rings and their relationship to russia.

Why are they called Russian wedding rings?

Do you still have a copy of the Harpers Bazaar article you mentioned?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results