shape
carat
color
clarity

Rolex…should it stay or should it go?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I purchased a gently used 2015 34mm Stainless Steel Oyster Perpetual Rolex Air King (that’s been certified and authenticated with Rolex). It’s still in great condition besides a small scratch that I’m sure can be buffed out.
The issue I’m having is, I don’t wear it at all but I’m very afraid if I sell it I’ll regret it. I’m more of a gold girl and the 34mm is heavy on my wrist.
I don’t know a lot about watches but I know Rolex watches are a hot commodity these days! Need advice: do I keep as an investment or sell and get the watch I really want? Thanks! 1E9A7214-B0A3-4A4F-91C1-2ED3DBF6A658.jpeg

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
I guess what I’m worried about is if it increases more in value down the road or will the Rolex demand die down? I’m not a luxury watch expert!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is too short to settle imo. Get what you really want and will enjoy wearing. Enjoy your todays because the future is never promised to anyone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The type of Rolexes that show the biggest price improvements are men’s watches, in platinum or gold, with diamonds or limited edition ie the rainbow bezel. Some vintage Rolexes are extremely valuable again due to rarity or who owned one ie Paul Newman,
Investment Rolexes need to be flawless and unworn complete with all tags and receipts and boxes pristine.
otherwise Rolex’s tend to hold their value for resale purposes.
If you don’t wear it it is a wasted watch, it will hold its value but not enough to offset the fact you have it sitting in a drawer unloved.
sell it and buy a watch you love. Better still, buy the watch you love pre owned and save money.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for helping me make a decision!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need advice: do I keep as an investment

The answer to this is always "no."

It will go up. But will it go up more than everything else (total US stock market, etc.)? Will you be able to sell it easily and painlessly when you need the cash? Will you be willing to take a huge consignment hit or a substantial risk that you are shipping it to someone who will claim you sent them an empty box, etc?

A ruby is one thing but a watch should be worn.

It's not an iconic-looking Rolex to me (I own zero but admire many) even though all the SS ones are scarce.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Ok next question… best place to sell it! Thanks!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I bought my second hand Rolex on the Chrono24 website, and was very satisfied with the purchase and experience. Hopefully, it works as well for sellers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results