shape
carat
color
clarity

Rocker, Glider or Recliner for Nursery?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I'm about to purchase a PB rocker off of Craigslist that was just posted in my area yesterday, and then I started researching rockers vs. gliders! I suppose I should have done that beforehand. Seems there are a lot of opinions out there. I do hope to nurse, does that mean a glider would be better? I don't want to rush into a purchase, just because it's a great deal, if it's not the right item for us . . . but I also HATE to pass up a great deal! Seller listed for $300 and will sell for $225. Retail was probably around $750. This is a discontinued model.

And, yes, I am only 5 weeks pregnant! I know I am crazy, but I just have it in my head to start buying now!!!!!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
First, go try some out.

I didn''t like the way gliders glide, like they''re going to throw you out of the chair when you go forward, so I bought a leather rocking recliner. That hardley got used
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV, that''s a great price. Also, PBK sells slip covers for those chairs so you can make it look fresh and new if it''s a little battered and bruised. I plan to get an upholstered swivel glider with a gliding ottoman. I LOVE the PBK set but they''re way out of our price range, so we''ve been looking at the ones at babies r us. Oh, and we got our stroller super early (like 6 weeks or something like that) so don''t feel weird about getting this early. I figure, the more you can spread out the cost of the big stuff, the better off you''ll be. And it''s not like you can''t use the piece elsewhere in your house should you not decide to use it in the nursery. That''s my ultimate plan, use it in the nursery and then move it to the living room.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a glider w/gliding ottoman we got at Walmart. I used it quite a bit, but a lot more w/Trapper b/c he liked to nurse in his room away from everyone. London I nursed more in the rocker/recliner in the living room. That was nice b/c I could flip the foot rest up and it was the perfect nursing position. The glider, if it was the middle of the night and I wanted to lay my head back, I had a towel to roll up for behind my neck. I didn''t need that w/the rocker/recliner.

The nursery was/is really small, so that''s pretty much the reason why we had the glider. If it was a bigger room, I''d have gotten another rocker/recliner. It''s more comfortable.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock

I would really just try them all out and see what you like best.

I did not like the wood frame gliders as much as the plush chairs. You won''t know until you try them out. I was set on getting a plush chair, but did not want to pay the $500 for one, so like you, I frequented Craig''s List. We ended up getting a great used chair for FREE! From someone cleaning out there garage, who just happened to live right down the street from us. I figured if I ended up not using it, we could always re-sell it/give it away.

I say go look at the chair, get it if you like it, and if you end up wanting something else down the line, you can try re-selling it. I have heard those PB rockers are great, so I don''t think you''d have a problem.

I don''t think a glider versus a rocker makes much different for nursing, I have nursed my son in both with no problems.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Haven''t read the replies, but my quick response is this:

Rocker vs. Glider- Not much difference to me. We got a glider and not a rocker b/c the rocker actually lifts up and our dog''s tail could be crushed, along with little hands. Gliders give you the same rocking motion, but the base of the chair doesn''t move or lift up. Just something to think about.

I have a glider. It''s great for rocking but I wish I''d gotten one that also reclines OR also had a gliding ottoman. There have been many times when I needed to sleep there and wished I had a recliner.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your replies. I hope every decision won't be this difficult, but I have a feeling this is the easy one!

MustangGal - I have a hunch, based on your comment and other comments I've read on-line that I would not like glider (though I would like the fact that it does not move off the floor.) I really should just go try them in the store, and probably will one day, but I think I'm going to get this rocker. It's a pity you didn't use your rocker/recliner! You should sell it on Craigslist!
9.gif

Hudson - Oh, thank you for helping me feel less crazy! I didn't realize that you were only 6 weeks when you got your stroller, but I remember when you posted about it. I want to visit that outlet! That's my same thought - to spread the expenditures out over a period of time. I don't know how I will ever decide on a stroller. I think I might have to get a therapist to get me through it. Haha!! Anyway, yes, the PB rocker does have a removable slip cover, and it looks to be in good condition. I think they sell slipcovers that will fit PB furniture on eBay too. I love PB, but I am more of CL PB kind of girl! Not willing to spend the big bucks!
21.gif

Packrat - Thank you for your input! My only regret about this rocker is that it does not recline. Grrrr, but it is too cute and a great price, so I'm just going to get it.

so cal girl - Wow, you got my favorite kind of deal - Free! You are right, I can always sell it if it doesn't work out, or even use it in another bedroom!

ChinaCat - There are cats and dogs all over my house at this point, haha (ok, only 7) but we will be down to our standard three cats and two dogs again soon. I think we plan to keep them more or less out of the nursery, but I do see the concern re: dogs, cats and little hands getting caught. I do wish it reclined. No ottoman either. The seller suggested this nursing stool, but I just don't see how that would be comfortable, so maybe I will find a cute little coordinating ottoman somewhere along the way.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
LV- Yes, have to be honest, it hasn't been a problem with our dog. He mostly is not in the nursery, but even if he is he doesn't get that close to the chair. But it's always mentioned, so thought I would mention it. I have seen something similar to that stool in a store and it actually is nice to put your feet up. BUT it's not really going to help much in the middle of the night when you are falling asleep.

Also, I never nursed in my glider in my nursery. So really I just use it to rock him/cuddle when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

I did try a PB one in the store that was HEAVEN. I would go try some out and see what you like. I was very much about the "look" but so wish I had been only about the comfort. Mine is comfortable, but there are definitely better ones out there. For example, I wish it was taller so I could lean my head against it.

ETA: Oh, saw you're getting it. I think it'll be fine. I don't really know of anyone that actually has a recliner and we all manage.
3.gif
The PB ones are super comfy. Let us know how you like it!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I have a glider. It was and still is my most favorite piece of furniture. When I had DD in the room with me, the glider was in there. That''s where I nursed every night and where I rocked her to sleep. Now I give her the bedtime bottle using the glider. I also sit there to read her books or just look out the window when she''s being fussy. She has a big palm tree by her window and for some reason finds it really exciting when the leaves move. And on nights when I just want a quiet, calming place to sit that''s where I go. I really love my glider and am glad I have it.

Although the reclining option sounds awesome lol

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
All I wish is that I had gotten a chair I could have comfortably slept in while holding ds. We got a glider that didn''t recline, and I couldn''t sleep sitting up like that. I ended up sleeping with ds on the couch for 2 months. Never expected to do any such thing, but did it out of necessity.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i didn''t want to spend any amt of money on something that may not even be used, so we just got a leather poang chair from Ikea. it''s super comfy, it''s more like a bouncy chair, and it fit the bill when we needed it, BUT we actually hardly used it for the kid as he didn''t even really hang out much in his nursery til almost 2-3 months and then he was over the rocking anyway. plus when he DID like to be rocked to sleep it was more the crazy happy baby rocking than the quiet sedate rocking chair or gliding kind of motions that did it. and our house is small so when he did have a fit and we had to sleep with him somewhere, it was the couch.

now we figure we''ll use the chair in his nursery for story time but that''s bout it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend has a glider and I LOVE it. It''s a nice quality one and if I were to EVER have another child, I would go out and get one. I would have loved to have one with A. Alas, I sat in knock off herman miller office chair instead with her in the middle of the night. Even better when she puked...the spit up got stuck in the mesh. Fun to clean!

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
I liked the glider better then a rocker. We bought a lazy boy (a small one) so after I didnt use it anymore in the nursery I could bring it to another room. My baby is 3 months old and I used the chair ONCE! In hind site I dont think I would spend that kind of money on one again.. so if you can get one for a good deal I say BUY IT.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have a Dutalier glider that I''ve had over 17 years old that I still use. I want to change the cushion and get a matching glider ottoman because I want to put it in my family room (right now is spare room). I noticed on their site that they offer a nursing ottoman....something to possibly consider.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m probably one of the few who are vehemently against rockers/gliders for nurseries. I''ve seen too many 2 year olds who can''t go to sleep unless rocked every naptime and bedtime. With JT I got a huge overstuffed chair that I could get really far back in and stay comfy and know that if I happened to drift off, there was so much room and no movement that he would be safely contained. I will use the same chair in this baby''s nursery. And, as the kids get older, we still fit together in the big chair. It''s also a color that goes in my living room so I can move it if I want. (I wouldn''t have a rocker or a glider in my living room)

If I HAD to make the glider/rocker choice, I''d go with glider because (to me) there is less chance of baby rolling out of it. Of course, I know DH falls asleep every time he gets a baby in his arms so maybe I''m WAY overthinking the "risks."

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a rocker from Best Chairs and I puffy heart it. We use it several times a day once she moved into her nursery (past the age of 4 months). We read books, sing songs, and rock when she is sick. It is so soft and comfortable I have fallen asleep in it. If you have an opportunity to buy a PB one on CL snap that puppy up! Worst case you resell it.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
We have a glider from best chair...and I love love love love it. LOVE IT. It is insanely comfortable and modern and cute.

It also reclines. It totally rocks - figuratively, although it does have a rocking motion, so I guess literally as well!

By far, it is the best piece of furniture we bought. When C was a teeny baby, it was nice because we could sleep with him in our arms, reclined, if necessary. Now that he''s a bit older, DH gives him his evening bottle in it, we read to him in it and I will rock him before I put him down for a nap. It is the best.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a glider with matching gliding ottoman, and I LOVE IT!!! I definitely recommend it over a rocker or recliner. I think the set was around $650 at Babies R Us back when I got it in 2006.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
We have a glider that reclines from Best Chair and we love it. We also have the matching gliding ottoman. Overkill? Probably, but I really wanted the ottoman so I could rock her and put my feet up and DH has wanted a recliner forever so we got both. I am glad we got the recliner because our dog loves the nursery - it seriously his favorite room in the house and he is always on the glider or somewhere right around it and I would definitely worry about squishing a tail or paw.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I never heard of Best Chair - what's the website address? When I googled it, the only thing that comes up is Best Home Furnishings - is that it?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 3:54:27 PM
Author: Blushing_B
I never heard of Best Chair - what''s the website address? When I googled it, the only thing that comes up is Best Home Furnishings - is that it?

Okay, I guess I have a glider not a rocker. Feels like a rocker though. Who knows. This is the chair I have. So comfy and I love that it looks like a regular chair. I love the "Rena" I don''t think they had that a few years ago.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Ok well I want what Lysser has!

Obviously all babies are different, but I just wanted to say that I never needed the glider until O was 5 or 6 months old. I didn''t nurse in it and I didn''t rock him to sleep. But when he started getting up at night due to teething or illness, it was a godsend.

Now we use it if he gets up at night, or to read books together. I definitely recommend having SOMETHING in the nursery or nearby room that you can rock/soothe/sleep in because at some point you will need it.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
BB - That''s the site. Since I''m link-embedding challenged, here is a link to the chair that we have:

http://www.besthf.com/bcpublic/productCatalog.do?catalogType=JU&option=productDetailItem&selectedCategory=RC&selectedStyle=&selectedItemNumber=3NW85

We got it in a microfiber and it is really easy to spot clean. We love it! And once Calvin is older, we''ll probably move it down into the family room.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks LL and Tacori - I will keep that website in mind when we start purchasing furniture!

henricdecosta

Rough_Rock
Re: Rocker, Glider or Recliner for Nursery

Hi , Thanks For giving us a information about Nursery Glider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results