shape
carat
color
clarity

rock Quartz locket... loose

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I bought a rock quartz locket in a 9k bezel setting. I've wanted one for awhile. It's in pristine condition but the back piece is ever so slightly loose in the bezel. I mean I have to hold it with fingers on either side to wiggle it and I gave it a good push to make sure it didnt come out.... but should I be worried about this? You cant see any space. Just feel ever so slight movement if you try to move it.
I dont know if I should send it back or thats how it's expected.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
*it doenst wiggle when the Locket is closed even if I try. Only slight wiggle if I hold it, while the Locket is open, with 1 finger on the inside one on the outside and wiggle If that way in the bezel, if that makes sense

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
A tiny wiggle in a large bezel is probably secure. If it bothers you, you could probably have it addressed without taking apart the bezel with a laser welder (they could weld in a tiny bit more gold without subjecting the piece to heat.)

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Thank you polyhex. PreRaphelite, sorry for the delay been short on time but I dont think pictures would help bc/ there is nothing to "see". Just imagine a locket open and you choosing a side and placing the thumb on what is the inside of the locket, the pointer finger on the outside and "wiggling"
the hinge is secure, it's very so slightly loose in the bezel is all.

Does anyone recommend a jeweler that deals with antiques? I dont think the ones around here would be competent.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
The jeweler said for the loose bezel its prob not a big deal but b/c the metal around it is thin without redoing the bezel completely I'm best to put some light superglue around the edges. So I used a pin and ran some e6000 glue only on the top and bottom area of the oval on the inside and it fixed it. I use the 6000 a lot b/c it can be removed easily with acetone.

One more question. And I got a pic.
I took it to the jeweler today. It was sold as 9k but the seller didnt acid test it. I did and I got 14 k.
So I had the jeweler check it. With the kee gold tester he got 14 k also. so maybe I got a deal lol.
BUT. Does KEE test for gold plate? I cant find a confirmation online, some say yes some no.
I've scratched it good rubbed it in the same spot 5+ times on the stone as well I acid tested the edges by rubbing them on the stone. I cant get anything but gold. With being as thin as it is in terms of the metal is it fairly safe to assume it's not plated, etc?

PA140015.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm best to put some light superglue around the edges.
A beautiful old antique piece! I would love to have a locket like that.
I was gonna suggest superglue to you, but I was afraid the PSers would think I was crazy. :-o
I work on my own jewelry all the time, and a smidge of superglue is the best thing for a loose cabochon stone. It fills in the gap when the bezel cannot get any tighter, therefore stopping the wiggle. Any excess glue can be gently removed with an X-acto knife.
It's great that you were able to fix it yourself.

And I'm sure your acid testing is accurate. Plated pieces always test negative for me.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results