shape
carat
color
clarity

Ritani Troubles

kehkehkris

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I found this message board while trying to find some internet help for a situation I am having with Ritani. In 2006, my husband bought me a Princess Cut Endless Love engagement ring (the one with the channel set halo) from Bailey Banks and Biddle. Of course they went out of business several years ago.

My ring has become misshapen and is now oval shaped. I wear (or wore) it every day, but didn't do any chores or heavy lifting with it on. I stopped wearing it almost a year ago because the center stone felt loose. I finally took it in to be looked at (I delayed because I was afraid of the cost to repair) and the jeweler said the ring is actually broken. It is broken at the top where the band meets the halo setting.

They offered to send back to Ritani and then called today to say Ritani would not take it from them as they are not an authorized dealer. So I called Ritani and they told me that there are no authorized dealers in my town. The closest one is 75 miles away. They said I need to take the ring to that dealer to have sent to them BUT because the ring was not purchased on Ritani.com, there is no warranty on it so they will not cover any repairs. This seems crazy to me as the level of the damage to the ring seems obviously a structural integrity issue. Feel like I have no choice but to make the trek to that store and send it in, but feel disappointed they would not honor the warranty. We did not buy the ring directly from the case - Ritani made it especially for me.

Anybody have any guidance they can give? Also, I have insurance on the ring. Does anyone know if insurance typically covers breaks like this?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm super broken hearted about my ring that means so much to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the ring is more than 10 years old, I am not sure if a typical warranty covers for that long or not, so you might have had to pay for the repairs anyway. I'd just want to be sure repairs can restore it properly or whether you need a new setting. I would never recommend making an insurance claim for setting loss or repairs. Every claim you make counts against you and can result in higher premiums down the road and even being dropped if there are multiple claims. Insurance is to cover you for losses that would be financially difficult to replace on our own, such as total loss of an engagement ring or damage to the main diamond.

I'd ask the Ritani dealer to please have Ritani communicate with them after looking at the ring to determine if it can be 100% repaired or whether the setting needs to be remade. Best of luck to you in getting your ring fixed!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you say BB&B went out of business, I assume you mean that one store location. I would call the corporate office number and see if they can help you. They probably have a record of your sale and they have way more bargaining power with Ritani vs you since Ritani is motivated to keep their settings in those stores.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Tophat1 - first call Bailey Banks and Biddle corporate - the company is still in existence so that your particular location went out of business shouldn't be an issue. They should be able to send you a mailing label to send your ring in.

You'll probably have to get a whole new setting - given the level of damage you've described I don't know that I'd trust anything less. Given that it's been over a decade, I doubt that this falls under manufacturer defect, so I'd expect to have to pay the whole cost. I agree with Diamondseeker that this isn't something I'd put on insurance - it's just like $3k and if they raise your rates over this you could quickly end up paying more than that. Insurance will cover it, but it's just not something many of us would make a claim on.

kehkehkris

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the feedback. I did hear from the only authorized dealer in Austin (the closest city to me) and he told me he had called Ritani on my behalf and had escalated the situation. He said that, as much as he would love for me to visit his store, it is ridiculous for them to expect me to take a day off work to drive there to get it shipped. Said "upper management" was working on getting approval to send me the shipping label directly.

I did call BB&B in Austin. Turns out the manager there used to be the manager in San Antonio where the ring was purchased. He says that the company that owned the store in SA went bankrupt and likely owed Ritani money. He seemed to think that's why they were being so difficult.

Anyway, I'm going to send it in to them - however I have to, but... do you really think it will cost $3000 for a new setting? Even with the platinum and diamonds I have from the old ring? I could get a new setting for that price! Also, at that point is it silly to spend that kind of money to have Ritani make the ring or should I just go to another jeweler and have them make something? Am I gaining anything by having the Ritani name if they aren't even guaranteeing the work?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are you able to use the BB & B insurance policy you purchased at the outset (you know having the rings checked yearly etc etc...) Is there some assurance there?

cheers--Sharon

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see Ritani is currently promoting a lifetime warranty on their current settings. Did they have that when you bought the piece? Do you remember registering or have any documentation? If so, I would fight for them to replace it and if needed, threaten using the Better Business Bureau and by peppering the internet with bad reviews.

Also - let's help you develop a plan B. Do you have a pic of the ring? Maybe we can help find you something similar from another designer

kehkehkris

Rough_Rock
Can't use it as it was voided when they went out of business, unfortunately.

kehkehkris

Rough_Rock
They did have the warranty when it was purchased, but Ritani says they won't honor it. Local jeweler thinks I should see what they tell me and then fight if they are being unreasonable.

Pic is from them Ritani web site. Mine has a center cut stone that is 1.01 carats. The ring is broken at the top of the post that connects to the setting - know I'm not using the right language, but I'm no expert.
Scratch that. Using my phone and can't seem to figure out how to attach the pic. Here's the link to it on their web site:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-micropave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4912

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So when you had your ring checked annually/per policy--were there any issues?

cheers--Sharon

kehkehkris

Rough_Rock
No, but they closed about a year after the ring was purchased, so they only did a few checks. Have all that documentation too. The ring was made by Ritani (i.e. not purchased out of the case) because I have a super small finger.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Only you can decide what is unreasonable or inconvenient.

What do you want to do?

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyway, I'm going to send it in to them - however I have to, but... do you really think it will cost $3000 for a new setting? Even with the platinum and diamonds I have from the old ring? I could get a new setting for that price! Also, at that point is it silly to spend that kind of money to have Ritani make the ring or should I just go to another jeweler and have them make something? Am I gaining anything by having the Ritani name if they aren't even guaranteeing the work?

Well, a new setting costs whatever a new setting costs, and the old platinum and diamonds don't factor in. Most of the cost of the setting is in the labor and brand markup, not the raw materials. And the platinum would have to be refined again or turned in for scrap, and we don't know if any of the diamonds have been damaged (it wouldn't be surprising if they have been, if the ring is out of round). If your ring weighs what the linked ring does, you have around $140 of platinum, and diamonds aren't usually given included in a ring's scrap value - if you were asking them to reuse your diamonds you'd be asking them to completely change their normal work process to take in your diamonds, check them all over, then put them in a setting, rather than just go through whatever their normal work process is, so that'd be adding extra work. So yeah. If Ritani determines the setting can't be safely repaired and that the damage was general wear and tear (which I imagine it was), then yeah, you'll just be paying the full cost for a new setting unless you can negotiate some kind of discount.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If they don't cover anything, which I suspect they will not, and want to charge you for a brand new setting I would take your ring back, sell the setting for scrap & buy a new non Ritani setting for that kind of $$ unless you are still in love with that setting - but in another 10 years you may find yourself here again. I think it's ridiculous they can't let you send the ring in yourself VS driving way out of the way to an authorized dealer. It's obviously a Ritani ring that WAS purchased through an authorized dealer. I'd spend my money elsewhere.

Fine print not covering wear & tear:
The Ritani warranty only applies to jewelry where the Ritani trademark and identification mark is stamped thereon, identifying it to be a Ritani product. Without such indicator and an active registered warranty, Ritani shall treat such jewelry as an unauthorized copy of its product and not provide any warranty. This warranty is limited to the repair and/or replacement at Ritani's discretion. Ritani is not responsible for failure of the product or any other non-conformance caused by or attributable to (a) any misuse of the product; (b) neglect of, abuse of, or accident to, the product; or (c) general wear and tear of the product. If Ritani decides that the product is not under warranty, Ritani will return the unwarranted product to you at your expense. Ritani will not honor the warranty if Ritani determines that the product has been worked on or repaired by any party other than Ritani or an authorized Ritani jeweler, or if the product forwarded to Ritani is not manufactured by Ritani. Ritani will only take action under the warranty when you deliver the product to Ritani, or an authorized Ritani jeweler, with a valid warranty return authorization number, proof and date of purchase, and having previously registered your warranty at Ritani.com. You are responsible to insure the product or assume the risk of loss or damage in transit. For warranty returns: Ritani may substitute a similar style for discontinued styles. Ritani is not responsible for sentimental value of original jewelry. Effective date: November 2015.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I'd shop for a new setting, unless you absolutely still love that Ritani and want a duplicate. Am I understanding that you're in Texas? Maybe a visit to Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds is in order... :love:

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see Vatche has something similar on their home page (bottom ring) and Vatche settings are very well made and I think they honor their warranty. Only challenge is that all work needs to be done by Vatche.

http://dvatche.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results