shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He woke me at 2:30 AM and then kept trying to get me out of bed by hitting my face with his soft paws.

One strategy to try to get him to stay quiet through the night is to play with him really hard right before bed and then feed him a meal. This technique works well for quite a few of us owners of high energy savannah cats who believe humans don't need sleep.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One strategy to try to get him to stay quiet through the night is to play with him really hard right before bed and then feed him a meal. This technique works well for quite a few of us owners of high energy savannah cats who believe humans don't need sleep.

Thanks for the suggestion Matata. We will start this tonight and see how it goes. Fingers crossed. The only time I see this kitten sleeping is when I am cleaning the house and occasionally (for a short while) in the middle of the night. I thought kittens needed their beauty sleep.:sleep:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought kittens needed their beauty sleep.:sleep:/QUOTE]

Hahahaha. I think they sleep with their eyes open while they're in motion. Three of mine are elder cats now so they sleep more but the 5 yr old rarely sleeps and has his head up my in my business all day long. I actually have to lock him up in the afternoon -- like an unruly toddler who needs a nap -- so I can get stuff done because he has to be involved in everything. I thought it would be a good idea to train him to actually help and trained him to help me fold sheets rather than cavort through the freshly washed and dried laundry and leave cat hair on it. Soooo, he really got into it, problem being he doesn't want to let go of the sheets once they're folded. And because he was always interested in how the toilet works, I taught him to flush for me. Problem being, he gets really mad if I try to flush it myself and slaps and bites me. So now I have to sneak into the bathroom to use the toilet unassisted. Le sigh.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Truth be told I think animals (generally) are better than people. What can I say? There are some fantastic people yes and I am privileged and honored to have many wonderful people in my life. But in general I prefer animals to most people. What I can say without hesitation is our cats are our family so in that regard family is family and no one is more important than our loved ones.
AMEN @missy! I feel EXACTLY the same way. No one in my life has ever loved me the way my babies do, or ever will.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata the Duralactin came and Fred ate it woohoo. Now fingers crossed it helps him. Do you remember how long it took to relieve your cat's arthritic symptoms? Thanks. So glad he ate it. It's bigger than I realized but he was happy to eat it right up.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy It was about a week before I noticed improvement. I'm so happy to hear that Fred likes it and voluntarily ate it. It's so much easier than shoving meds down their little throats.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Matata the Duralactin came and Fred ate it woohoo. Now fingers crossed it helps him. Do you remember how long it took to relieve your cat's arthritic symptoms? Thanks. So glad he ate it. It's bigger than I realized but he was happy to eat it right up.
fab52faceeeb900a8d5e4debf174da71.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I forgot to mention that my picky eater, who won't eat the Duralactin so I have to grate it over his food, never used to clean his plate until I started grating the Duralactin over his food. Fickle feline is all I can say about the fact he won't eat the treat unless it's grated. So If Fred is a picky eater or not eating enough, you might try grating it too and see if it helps his appetite. And, I don't know Fred's weight but suspect that it calls for 1 Duralactin per day. You can give him 2/day for a week to help speed up healing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the Duralactin helps Fred feel better. Thinking of you, Greg and all your sweet kitties.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hope all is well in beautiful New Jersey down the shore
hope everyone doing ok today Missy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I forgot to mention that my picky eater, who won't eat the Duralactin so I have to grate it over his food, never used to clean his plate until I started grating the Duralactin over his food. Fickle feline is all I can say about the fact he won't eat the treat unless it's grated. So If Fred is a picky eater or not eating enough, you might try grating it too and see if it helps his appetite. And, I don't know Fred's weight but suspect that it calls for 1 Duralactin per day. You can give him 2/day for a week to help speed up healing.

Hi Matata, he has lost weight and I think he is under 10 lbs...he used to be 13 lbs. He ate the second one this morning. I will probably just give him one a day for now as he is on probiotics and another supplement too so don't want to overwhelm him and want to keep him interested in eating it because I don't want to force feed him anything. But grating it is a good suggestion if I have to. Thanks. I will keep you posted. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the Duralactin helps Fred feel better. Thinking of you, Greg and all your sweet kitties.

Thanks Marcy. Status Quo same. Today is L-S dip day. I might be as anxious as the kitties on Tuesdays.

hope all is well in beautiful New Jersey down the shore
hope everyone doing ok today Missy

Thanks Daisy. It's Lime Sulfur Dip day. Fingers and toes crossed they do OK today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
good luck with the lime dips everybody

TY. And little (not so little) Ollie sends purrs and meows your way.
Even after his shampoo yesterday AM his hair is still stained yellow from the LS dip last week. He's still handsome though.
But he is a devil cat.:wink2:

oliverthisam.jpg

oliverthisAM.jpeg

Thank you Oliver for waking us up again (third day or should I say middle of the night) at 2:30 AM. :snore:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
TY. And little (not so little) Ollie sends purrs and meows your way.
Even after his shampoo yesterday AM his hair is still stained yellow from the LS dip last week. He's still handsome though.
But he is a devil cat.:wink2:

oliverthisam.jpg

oliverthisAM.jpeg

Thank you Oliver for waking us up again (third day or should I say middle of the night) at 2:30 AM. :snore:
he's growing into a big handsome fellow
that tail is beautiful
i always want to play with their tails
sometimes in the middle of the night we hear Borris in the lounge playing with her ping pong balls
the other morning she brought a piece of stinky cat food off her plate and sat on the top of the bed head eatting it above my head
then she dropped it !
they are the funnist little critters
just not in the middle of the night

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
he's growing into a big handsome fellow
that tail is beautiful
i always want to play with their tails
sometimes in the middle of the night we hear Borris in the lounge playing with her ping pong balls
the other morning she brought a piece of stinky cat food off her plate and sat on the top of the bed head eatting it above my head
then she dropped it !
they are the funnist little critters
just not in the middle of the night

Thanks Daisy, Funny thing is he plays with his tail. None of our other cats ever did this. I would think he is not too bright for that but he also watches the TV and I believe that is a sign that he is somewhat smart. But who knows. Our only other cat who enjoyed watching the TV was Butch and he was super smart. He was such a love too. He died when he was 7. Way before his time. I still think of him and miss him. He was so brave and tough but tender. I could tell stories about Butch that would entertain for days.

Finally done cleaning and disinfecting today and now we are off to gather the kitties for L-S dips. Poor babies do not like this at all and hide so gathering them can be challenging. Amazing how well they hide at times. Have a good day.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisy, Funny thing is he plays with his tail. None of our other cats ever did this. I would think he is not too bright for that but he also watches the TV and I believe that is a sign that he is somewhat smart. But who knows. Our only other cat who enjoyed watching the TV was Butch and he was super smart. He was such a love too. He died when he was 7. Way before his time. I still think of him and miss him. He was so brave and tough but tender. I could tell stories about Butch that would entertain for days.

Finally done cleaning and disinfecting today and now we are off to gather the kitties for L-S dips. Poor babies do not like this at all and hide so gathering them can be challenging. Amazing how well they hide at times. Have a good day.
for a brief moment i was glad the cleaning was done ...
but then lime dip :(2
Borris chaeses her tail -honestly i don't know how she doesn't hurt herself. Ollie is in good company
Tinky (this is true) would watch Bruce on tv. one time i was playing a bootleg from a ghost of tom joad tour (in the 90s - receding hair line and poney tail) you should have seen the look on Tinky's face. he knew the voice but not the hair style - it was sooooo funny (sorry Bruce but Tinky was used to 21st century Bruce)
Tibby definatly watches tv
last night Gary was u tubing one of his dreadful fishing videos and Tibby was definatly paying attention

im just trying to take the kitty's minds of the lime dip

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the L dips went okay. I bet the cats resist getting rounded up because they know what's coming. Oliver is sure growing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hoping all have a good day after lime dip day
enjoy each other's company

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds. Yes that is love. More below on L-S dip Tuesday.
i got a hi five sitting on the loo this morning !.
is that love or what !

hoping all have a good day after lime dip day
enjoy each other's company

Thank you @marcy

I hope the L dips went okay. I bet the cats resist getting rounded up because they know what's coming. Oliver is sure growing.

Yes he sure is growing.

Thanks so much @OboeGal.
I feel the same as both of you.

And the example below illustrates exactly why many people just exhaust me emotionally. Their behavior less than stellar. But I think my tolerance is even lower recently due to all we have been going through. But yes I would take animals over most people any day.

Thank you for your continuing support and caring and good wishes @Daisys and Diamonds, @marcy and @OboeGal. I so appreciate it.

Warning: Vent ahead. Please skip if you are not in the mood.

L-S dip went OK I guess but I am frustrated with this vet and her office.

We have been taking them there for 12 weeks now and the vet rarely communicates with us and despite us being so proactive I have no clue how the cats are doing. We are not the squeaky wheel and perhaps that is our mistake but every couple of weeks we ask a few questions and the staff gets us the answers or the vet (rarely) calls us. We don't see the vet every week as the techs do the L-S dips but the cats are supposed to get reevaluated so we know how they are doing.

Yesterday we asked a (one) question that is important and were told the (head) vet is on vacation but another vet would get back to us. And when Greg picked the cats up last night he was told the other vet would call us shortly. Nope. Nothing. And I know this shouldn't matter (Greg says it has no bearing) but we have spent so many thousands to date on this RW gate so yeah don't go radio silent. I mean even if we had not spent a small fortune the vet should be on top of it and responsive but it just adds insult to injury if you kwim. Truth be told it's not the money but the principle and it feels like they are taking advantage of us and that is what gets me angry.

How much longer do we need to do L-S dips? That black crust that keeps coming up on Fred. What is that? Does that mean he is still contagious? How much longer on the Itrafungol? We get no direction from this veterinarian. None. When we ask she shrugs and just doesn't know.

And we asked the staff to cut their nails yesterday when we brought the cats in yesterday AM for the L-S dips. They said OK and didn't say a word about cost. I didn't ask because I didn't think there would be any cost so imagine our shock when we found out after the fact they charged us $100 extra. IDK maybe I am way out of line here but that really feels wrong to me after all we have and are still spending. Plus shouldn't they have said OK it's $25 charge per cat for nail clipping? At least communicate it to us before the fact. Did I ever tell you that when we upped the L-S dip concentration they started charging us more per cat (again without any communication about the extra charge) even though all the cats are dipped in the same dip? Makes NO sense to charge us extra per cat when all the cats are in the same Lime Sulfur dip. And the dip costs pennies a treatment. Charging us extra like that is wrong. There is no extra effort in dipping them in a higher concentration. None at all. Charge us extra but not per cat. Ridiculous. I could overlook one of these upcharges and it wouldn't be so bad but all of these together, well, there is a pattern.

Sure we could have stopped treatment there. Or stop it now. But there is no other vet around who does L-S dips so we stayed and probably will stay til the cats are well.

Anyway I am just venting as I am frustrated and tired and this is week 12 if my math is right. If I could have only found a better vet and office (and we did think this vet was good which is why we started with her) but it is what it is and I just want the cats to get and stay well. As soon as we can we are taking them to my sister in Great Neck Long Island but not sure Fred and Tommy can withstand the long car trip if we go from here. :/

Please ignore my vent. I just had to get it out. A catharsis of sorts. I am grateful we can spend the money and do what is necessary to get the cats well. I realize there are many who could not. I just hope we are providing our cats with the necessary health care they need to get well. My big fear is we will have done this for naught and put our cats through all this stress for nothing. I don't care about the money. I just want the cats to get well. I do not like however being taken advantage of and that is how I feel at the moment. That the veterinarian is taking advantage of us. Please let our cats get well.

OK so after my long exhausting vent here are some hot off the presses photos of Oliver. He has been laying on me as I am writing this post. He is my PS assistant. LOL. And man, is he yellow from those L-S dips. Doesn't stop him though and IMO he still is beautiful. Yellow and all.

oliverinbedthisAM.jpg

oliveronbed.jpg

oliversweetinbed.JPG

oliverinbedwithme.JPG

olivergroominginbed.JPG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh poor missy
12 weeks is dreadful

i don't know much but it would be nice if the vet found time to say hello to you ocassionally

its a pity your sister doesn't live closer but you are all getting through this

Ollie really is beautiful
his fur looks very luxurious

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He has progressed to the night table now. LOL. Sorry I cannot stop taking photos. He is too cute.
I know I am biased about him however.

oliverlookingatme.JPG

oliveronnighttable.jpeg

oliveronnighttable3.jpg

oliverlookingatmeonnighttable.JPG

He may look innocent but he has woken us at 2:30 AM every single day for a few days now and nothing we do helps. And he keeps us awake so we cannot go back to sleep. Probably has something to do with my low tolerance level for any kind of cr** these days.

@Daisys and Diamonds thank you so much for all your kindness. It means a lot to me. Through it all you are always there with a kind and uplifting comment. Makes a difference. Thank you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
your very welcome missy
im sorry i can't do anything more
Ollie is very handsome
but then the gingers always are =)2
he looks like he's going to send that alarm clock flying and then that water!
its just all a big game to him

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the other vet called us back. She’s not the head vet but she’s a good vet imo and is the one who saw Fred Bobby and Tommy a few days after Oliver was diagnosed by the head vet. Anyway she wants to stop all lime sulfur dips for now and culture them next week. No shampoo this week either. So we don’t get a false negative culture. She’s going to do a toothbrush culture on them as well as culture specific areas the regular way.

She feels if we continue with the treatments it could kill Fred. He sounds very congested to her but I explained to her that’s Fred. He has asthma and is always sounding congested. But she is right in that he is not doing well and I agree more lime sulfur dips could kill him. And she also said she’s worried about me since the like sulfur is toxic to me too (she remembered my health issues when she last saw us in July ) but I explained to her that is not a consideration. We need to do what we need to for the cats. Period.

Long story short we’re re culturing all of them next week and hoping they are negative for RW. She doesn’t know what the crusts on Fred are however and that’s the biggest concern. If he still has RW I don’t know if he would survive further treatment and then what is our option? That was my greatest concern all those months ago. Fred surviving this. :/

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you heard back from the vet @missy, good to have a direction and I hope you get good results next week. And really hoping Fred doesn't still have rw. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you heard back from the vet @missy, good to have a direction and I hope you get good results next week. And really hoping Fred doesn't still have rw. :pray:

Thanks Junie. I think the cultures unfortunately can take 4 weeks to get accurate results. It sucks I know. Sucks most for the cats. The vet was like she doesn’t think Fred can survive more treatments and so I don’t know what our options are if he still has RW. Well I know what it is but I cannot bear to think of that option. :blackeye: Fred deserves to live. :pray: I’m taking it one day at a time but it’s very challenging. Mos challenging is knowing how stressed out cats are and that we are torturing them. :cry2:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s good to vent! There’s something about feeling taken advantage of that changes everything, I agree. When dh and I were negotiating for our first townhome, we agreed that we wouldn’t walk away if we had to pay list price. We really wanted the townhome. In the midst of negotiations, though, we came down to $1K difference, and all of a sudden I felt like digging my heels in. What changed? I guess I just felt like the process and the comments we heard via the realtor were unfair in a way.

Anyway! This next week will tell you a lot. I’m glad the vet is also loooking our for you. You can’t care for the fur babies if you’re not well! How has the dermatitis been going? Did the cream work?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Junie. I think the cultures unfortunately can take 4 weeks to get accurate results. It sucks I know. Sucks most for the cats. The vet was like she doesn’t think Fred can survive more treatments and so I don’t know what our options are if he still has RW. Well I know what it is but I cannot bear to think of that option. :blackeye: Fred deserves to live. :pray: I’m taking it one day at a time but it’s very challenging. Mos challenging is knowing how stressed out cats are and that we are torturing them. :cry2:

Ugh, I didn't know it took so long to get results. I'm hoping and praying for a good outcome for all the kitties. It's been a long haul for you and the cats and hard on everyone. Sending support and comfort...take care of yourself and hang in there as best you can. (((hugs)))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results