shape
carat
color
clarity

Rings in Europe

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been in Europe for the last 2 weeks and noticing erings or lack of erings everywhere I go. In Berlin, no one wore an ering except 1 young girl who had about a .10 ct. Stores had rings in stock, usually very small and usually bezel set. 1/4 ct about $2500 euro. Dang! Most woman had plain yg band on rt hand. In Switzerland it was all fashion rings, usually silver with amber or non precious stones. Now I am in Austria. Very few rings and no diamonds of course. Was at oktoberfest 3 days ago in Munich and no rings there but again, diamonds in the store, .10-.05 prong or bezel for over $3000 euro. No wonder no one has one! Tourists also not sporting big rings. Left mine home too or they would have thought I was a millionaire. Btw, heat spell here in Europe my whole trip. Enjoying the afternoon at a lake terrace in Hallstatt.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
It's true. The German-speaking countries do not traditionally have e-rings with bling. It's changing, though. Fueled by globalization of culture and the interests of the jewelry industry, the solitaire engagement is popping up increasingly often. A number of my under-age-30 friends have them now. They typically max out at about a carat, though.

And yes, diamond jewelry is very pricey here.

ETA: Hope you had a good time at the "Wies'n"! :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
When honeymooning in Italy I didn't see anyone with diamonds, just plain yellow gold bands.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mscushion! The Germans and Austrians have been delightful! I am having the time of my life! By the time I get home it will have been a wonderful 3 weeks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
have a great time! I love the classic look of a wide plain yellow gold band almost as much as i like a ring with bling!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I can always spot the Americans on the tube over here ;-)

There was a thread not that long ago about the differences between the rings in the UK and the US. I imagine the thinking on the continent is much the same but more so.

It is a bit of a heat wave over here - very lovely! Glad you're enjoying your holiday so far!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Engagement rings aren't as big a deal there in Europe. VAT is +- 20% & many countries have an additional luxury tax on diamonds & fancy rings -- makes them too expensive for the average affianced. My wedding ring is a half eternity & in England people always thought it was an engagement ring because it had diamonds in it. A few women in Holland have them, generally from wealthy families.

Glad you're enjoying your trip!

--- Laurie

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Definately a lot smaller in Europe and I think coloured stones are used more often as well.

We were in france last month and every jewellers window I looked in had lots of eternity rings - some with high tcw of diamonds but very few solitaires. The solitaires I saw in the windows were at their biggest 0.25pts and very expensive.

My dad gave my mother a 0.50pt bezel set ring as a birthday present some years ago and I remember her quietly telling me that she would have preferred 0.30pts as the 0.50 looked too big.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
AprilBaby|1317390687|3029634 said:
I have been in Europe for the last 2 weeks and noticing erings or lack of erings everywhere I go. In Berlin, no one wore an ering except 1 young girl who had about a .10 ct. Stores had rings in stock, usually very small and usually bezel set. 1/4 ct about $2500 euro. Dang! Most woman had plain yg band on rt hand. In Switzerland it was all fashion rings, usually silver with amber or non precious stones. Now I am in Austria. Very few rings and no diamonds of course. Was at oktoberfest 3 days ago in Munich and no rings there but again, diamonds in the store, .10-.05 prong or bezel for over $3000 euro. No wonder no one has one! Tourists also not sporting big rings. Left mine home too or they would have thought I was a millionaire. Btw, heat spell here in Europe my whole trip. Enjoying the afternoon at a lake terrace in Hallstatt.

They wouldn't, they'd just think you had nice big rings on - that isn't really a valid correlation in Europe, where the wealthiest people rarely wear diamonds at all.

Here's an interesting thread about that very thing:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-diamonds-in-the-uk-smaller-than-in-the-us.164666/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-diamonds-in-the-uk-smaller-than-in-the-us.164666/[/URL]

Hope you're having a fantastic vacation - enjoy every minute!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results