shape
carat
color
clarity

rings and HM....what to do?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
When we are honeymooning (HI) what should we do with my rings? Did you wear both? Just the wedding band and lock up your e-ring? Our wedding is a destination and can’t leave the rings at home. All I know is that they will both be insured before we get married. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I had a destination wedding/honeymoon in Maui, so I had my rings with me also. I kept them in the hotel safe while we did things like swim, snorkel, SCUBA dive, etc., but then I wore them to dinner each evening when we went out. My rings were also insured prior to the trip. I DID lose an uninsured diamond stud while snorkeling, so that was a bummer. I've since learned that diamonds and the ocean just don't mix and I leave ALL jewelry in my safe other than my $30 wedding band stand-in when I'm out an about like that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I left mine at home in the safe. I wore a fake because I wasn't sure I wanted to leave them in the hotelroom. We were barely really at the beach so only one day would that have been an issue, the day we hiked in the Volcano park. But sometimes I wish I'd just have worn it.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I had a destination wedding in Mexico. I insured them and then wore them the entire time or put it in the hotel room safe if I was going swimming or something. Wasn't a problem at all! If I lost them, that is what insurance is for!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I left mine at home and just wore an inexpensive white gold band. But I so regretted leaving them once we got to Hawaii. The resorts we stayed at had a lot of newlyweds like us and I noticed all the gals had their bling and I was bummed I didn't.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I wore my rings on my HM and I wear them on vacation. If we are at the beach or the pool, I lock everything in the room safe. I'm more concerned about losing them than having them stolen....everything I bring is insured. I never wear jewelry in the water....the chlorine and the salt can damage settings plus I'd be afraid of losing them.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my rings on our honeymoon in St. John.

I typically leave my rings at home when we go on our big vacation every summer. I just don't want to have to worry about them when we're on the trip. Another thing is that it really would be a pain to bring my Jewel Jet with me, but without it I'd have to walk around with a dirty diamond. THAT would be unbearable. :cheeky:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We had a destination wedding and then went on a cruise. I took off my E-ring when we were in port and put it in the safe (and wore my band), but wore both while I was on the ship.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
We went to Sri Lanka for our honeymoon - there is significant poverty in many parts of the country and I don't feel it's appropriate to wear significant bling when travelling in those areas.

I got married with 2 wedding bands - an antique 22kt gold band and a blingy platinum one that fits round my e-ring. I wear the gold one if I'm travelling - oh and when I was PG and my hands swelled up to much to wear my wedding set.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just brought my wedding band, and left my diamond at home. We honeymooned in Jamaica.

Since you can't leave yours at home, just lock them in the hotel safe, or if you're really worried, wear them at all times. On your finger is actually probably the safest place. I would think Hawaii would be okay.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Don't wear them to the beach- the ocean takes more rings than thieves any day! And sand is scratchy, too.

My FI and I will, like Pandora, be honeymooning in a part of the world not as stable as the states, so I will be leaving my e-ring at home and just wearing my band.

But really, if loss more than theft is what you are worried about- that's what insurance is for!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my rings while on our honeymoon, but I wasn't concerned at all since it wasn't a beach location. (We honeymooned in Quebec City). I feel safest with my rings on rather than put them somewhere else while I'm on vacation, but if I was going to the beach, I'd most likely use the hotel safe. I can't swim with my rings on -- they fall right off in the water.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

I LOVE my bling and appreciate your feedback on what to do with them while HMing. :)) My friend went to HI last year and her rental car got robbed and they were only on the side of the road taking scenic pictures so that's why I asked. And maybe I'll get a stand in just in case. I will definitely be aware of my surrounds and that safe is going to come in handy. :)

I'm counting down the days and can't wait to wear my rings. :D

Thank you again!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
DiamondsOnly|1330714231|3139319 said:
THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

I LOVE my bling and appreciate your feedback on what to do with them while HMing. :)) My friend went to HI last year and her rental car got robbed and they were only on the side of the road taking scenic pictures so that's why I asked. And maybe I'll get a stand in just in case. I will definitely be aware of my surrounds and that safe is going to come in handy. :)

Thank you again!

Have a great trip!?! Where are you heading? Like I said in my first post, my husband and I got married/honeymooned in Maui in 2008, and we just booked a trip to Kauai at the end of April. I'm so excited! I LOVE Hawaii!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
sonnyjane|1330717102|3139378 said:
THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

Thank you again!

Have a great trip!?! Where are you heading? Like I said in my first post, my husband and I got married/honeymooned in Maui in 2008, and we just booked a trip to Kauai at the end of April. I'm so excited! I LOVE Hawaii!

Thank you!!

We are HMing in Kauai!!!! Where are you staying? My future husband and I rented a condo because it's less expensive than a hotel. Sonny would you stay in touch and let me know how Kauai is once you get back? I am super excited well we are excited because I would have loved to get married there, but instead we will HM there. :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
DiamondsOnly|1330739058|3139649 said:
sonnyjane|1330717102|3139378 said:
THANK YOU LADIES!!!!

Thank you again!

Thank you!!

We are HMing in Kauai!!!! Where are you staying? My future husband and I rented a condo because it's less expensive than a hotel. Sonny would you stay in touch and let me know how Kauai is once you get back? I am super excited well we are excited because I would have loved to get married there, but instead we will HM there. :)

YAY! Yes for sure. It's these moments that I wish there was just PM'ing so everybody else didn't have to read our boring stuff, but oh well! We are staying at the Grand Hyatt. Yes, it is expensive... like... REALLY expensive. In fact this trip to Kauai is going to be a little more than our honeymoon, BUT, we have been through a really crappy year - I was diagnosed with cancer (now treated) and my husband was deployed to Afghanistan - so we have a very "screw it, it's just money and we deserve it" mentality about this vacation lol. We plan to go to the grocery store and buy liquor, pastries, and sandwich stuff to put in the mini fridge to cut down on breakfast and lunch costs, and then do dinners out. What stuff do you have planned? Right now we haven't made any arrangements for activities since we want to just take it easy, but I do want to do a Na Pali boat tour.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Instead of quoting I'll just reply and I agree I wish you could PM. Haha that sounds like lingo for TK.

We plan on buying food as well and doing some nice dinners out as well as some lunches out. It will be nice to have breakfasts on the lanai. The sunrises in Princeville are going to be so breathtaking I can hardly wait.

We don't have anything planned right now. No reservations for activities that is...I really want to do hiking, zip lining and I'm not much of a water girl, but would definitely do a boat tour. :). I had a bad experience with being in the ocean so I no longer snorkel or swim in the ocean. :(. I've heard so many beautiful things about the Napali that I definitely want to do a tour. :)

I am so sorry to heat about that C word. :(. Someone very dear to me just passed away and battled C. And your husband...thank you to him for his services. :). I understand that it's just money so you might as well enjoy life. As long as you can do it I say go for it!

I'm so excited for you guys and your upcoming trip. Can't wait for pictures. :)

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I just saw that your ring is a 3 stone, is that correct? If so I have a three stone too. :)

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
my wife wore her rings on a 3 week adventure where we traveled all throughout Italy... IMO, rings are meant to be worn... and they are insured,so you might as well enjoy them--especially on your honeymoon!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
sna77|1330824911|3140219 said:
my wife wore her rings on a 3 week adventure where we traveled all throughout Italy... IMO, rings are meant to be worn... and they are insured,so you might as well enjoy them--especially on your honeymoon!

Agreed. Love your picture...love family guy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got back from Hawaii - I wore my ring almost all the time except when I went swimming. When I did that I left it in the safe in the hotel room... or sometimes just in my purse in the hotel room in a zipper pocket. Do take it with you when you are doing sightseeing, as there will be many beautiful vistas where you can photograph your bling! (At least that's what I do, haha.)

But YES never leave valuables in the rental car - they are the prime target for thieves in Hawaii, apparently. I honestly wouldn't worried about just getting mugged unless you're wandering around some sketchy areas. There are people on this board who live in Hawaii and so would know better than me, but to me it seems like it's as safe as anywhere else in the US, maybe even safer depending on where you are.

You guys will LOVE Kauai! That's where my fiance and I just went. Sonnyjane, I don't know that I liked it more than Maui - it's a very different atmosphere, but I liked it at least equal. The island is small, so we took a day to explore the south side, and another day to explore the north side. Then we figured out from driving up and down those coasts what we wanted to do on the other days. Gaylord's Restaurant at the Kilohana Plantation served us the best meal we have ever eaten in our entire lives. This sketch little take-out lunch place, Mark's Place, in the industrial district of Lihue, was also really amazing (and fairly cheap compared to most places). Poipu Beach on the south side of the island is amaaaaazing, as is Hanalei Bay. We stayed at the Kauai Beach Resort and every night at 7 pm they had live music in the bar - our favorite was Makepa (I think that was his name?), who seems to play there several times a week, and elsewhere on the island as well.

I also recommend a helicopter tour. *nodnod* We did an hour long one and it was tons of fun.

Umm, if you have any questions, I just spent 11 days there, so ask away?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Wow now I'm that much more excited for our HM. We are staying in Hanalei Bay and our view looks amazing from the pictures I've seen. We are staying in Kauai for 12 days and am taking notes as to what activities to do. Did you go to any other islands? A friend told me to island hop if I can so we will see. I can't think of any questions right now, but will ask once any come to mind.

So there is no way to IM or PM anyone on here?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I wore a fake to my wedding and a half carat sapphire ring on my honeymoon, both with my plain gold wedding band.

The expensive stuff stayed at home.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1330873221|3140459 said:
You guys will LOVE Kauai! That's where my fiance and I just went. Sonnyjane, I don't know that I liked it more than Maui - it's a very different atmosphere, but I liked it at least equal. The island is small, so we took a day to explore the south side, and another day to explore the north side. Then we figured out from driving up and down those coasts what we wanted to do on the other days. Gaylord's Restaurant at the Kilohana Plantation served us the best meal we have ever eaten in our entire lives. This sketch little take-out lunch place, Mark's Place, in the industrial district of Lihue, was also really amazing (and fairly cheap compared to most places). Poipu Beach on the south side of the island is amaaaaazing, as is Hanalei Bay. We stayed at the Kauai Beach Resort and every night at 7 pm they had live music in the bar - our favorite was Makepa (I think that was his name?), who seems to play there several times a week, and elsewhere on the island as well.

I also recommend a helicopter tour. *nodnod* We did an hour long one and it was tons of fun.

Umm, if you have any questions, I just spent 11 days there, so ask away?

Oooh thanks for those tips! I've been stalking tripadvisor everyday to read up on it. I'll put Gaylord's Restaurant on my list!!!

JR0105

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! I haven't really posted on here but I am getting married in August and found so much info on wedding bands on here so thank you! I am actually getting it from ID jewelry. It is right around the corner from my office and they were fabulous and had the best prices. I read the reviews on pricescope. I just want to say I never bring my jewelry on vacation unless it is US travel. I think Hawaii is completely fine. I don't even wear my watch because it has a diamond bezel. My engagement ring is 2.25 E - VS1 solitaire radiant so it is not enormous by NY standards lol... (Ridiculous!) but it is definitely noticeable especially when not in this area. We just came back from Jamaica and I didn't bring anything- just my fun travel jewelry. I just don't want to draw any attention to myself especially in the islands. My Mom has a very large oval solitaore and a big eternity band and she nver wore anything when we travelled so I think I just learned it from her. HOWEVER, very very funny, when on the plane there I sat next to an adorable 7 year old. We became BF's (prob b/c I gave her gummy bears) and she asked who the "man I was talking to was." I said OH that is my fiance. So she looks at my hand and says-"well where is your ring then???" You have to love NYC - even the 7 year olds are looking for a big rock!!!! LOL....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1330645066|3138723 said:
I wore my rings on our honeymoon in St. John.

I typically leave my rings at home when we go on our big vacation every summer. I just don't want to have to worry about them when we're on the trip. Another thing is that it really would be a pain to bring my Jewel Jet with me, but without it I'd have to walk around with a dirty diamond. THAT would be unbearable. :cheeky:

haha, so true! The entire time in Italy I was thinking how I wanted to give her a bath!!

I wore mine the whole time- and locked them in the safe while swimming and such- I kinda hid them in the safe, but honestly now that I think about it- if someone got into the safe, I am sure it wouldn't matter if they were sitting right there on the shelf or hidden. :twirl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
JR0105|1330959039|3141043 said:
Hi Everyone! I haven't really posted on here but I am getting married in August and found so much info on wedding bands on here so thank you! I am actually getting it from ID jewelry. It is right around the corner from my office and they were fabulous and had the best prices. I read the reviews on pricescope. I just want to say I never bring my jewelry on vacation unless it is US travel. I think Hawaii is completely fine. I don't even wear my watch because it has a diamond bezel. My engagement ring is 2.25 E - VS1 solitaire radiant so it is not enormous by NY standards lol... (Ridiculous!) but it is definitely noticeable especially when not in this area. We just came back from Jamaica and I didn't bring anything- just my fun travel jewelry. I just don't want to draw any attention to myself especially in the islands. My Mom has a very large oval solitaore and a big eternity band and she nver wore anything when we travelled so I think I just learned it from her. HOWEVER, very very funny, when on the plane there I sat next to an adorable 7 year old. We became BF's (prob b/c I gave her gummy bears) and she asked who the "man I was talking to was." I said OH that is my fiance. So she looks at my hand and says-"well where is your ring then???" You have to love NYC - even the 7 year olds are looking for a big rock!!!! LOL....

cute story about the little girl! Training them young :)

Please post pics when you have your set!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Amy................I'd love to see your ring JR. :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondsOnly, we didn't island hop on this trip. I've been to Oahu and Maui before and really liked both, but my fiance had never been to Hawaii at all and I think didn't realize how easy it is to go from island to island, so booked our hotel at work right after we bought the tickets before I could talk to him about it. It was a last-minute trip so we didn't have time to change anything, and once we had paid for the hotel I didn't want to shell out even more for a hotel on another island. I mean, you COULD probably just go over to another one for a day, but I think that would be a bit much for me. Besides we wanted this trip to be really relaxing, with a lot of lying around on the beach instead of dashing back and forth.

If you're going to an island other than Kauai, I think Oahu would provide the most contrast (well, other than maybe the Big Island, which I've never been to, but the lava flow collapsed last year so right now you can't see any lava at the volcano, which makes it seem less awesome). Honolulu is a fantastic city, Waikiki Beach is a trip to look at (it's so covered in people usually that you can barely walk across it, which I find hilarious - it's lovely at sunset though when many of the people have left!), and there's plenty of sightseeing and historical stuff to do that is incredibly different from Kauai. Maui is also nice, but it's got a similar atmosphere except more commercial.

Also Kauai is covered in chickens. They are everywhere. And there are little baby chickens that go "peep peep!" a lot.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Distracts---thanks! I will make a note of this and I can't wait to see the chickens. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results