shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring with black stone???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvovals

Rough_Rock
I have been thinking I'd like to have a RHR with a black center stone and some type of halo. I haven't set any type of budget because I'm pretty clueless on the type of stone. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of black stone? I've searched the forums and mostly find black diamond information. I don't really want a black diamond as I want the stone to be more opaque. I have an onyx ring at home with a rather large stone that has a damaged shank. I thought about having it reset but I believe the bottom is flat. Could this be reset? Is onyx a man made stone? Also, I would love suggestions for really dainty white gold halos. Any and all help appreciated.

EDIT: Please also give me pros and cons on they types of stones and level of pricing if you know. I really appreciate the help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Onyx is not a man made stone, but most of it is died. I believe it's quartz. Black diamonds are opaque and extremely durable and affordable if you get ones that are treated to be black. Natural black diamonds are a bit more expensive, but a lot cheaper than white diamond BY FAR. You could wear a black diamond every day and not worry about it. However onyx does chip.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 12:18:15 PM
Author:luvovals
I have been thinking I''d like to have a RHR with a black center stone and some type of halo. I haven''t set any type of budget because I''m pretty clueless on the type of stone. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of black stone? I''ve searched the forums and mostly find black diamond information. I don''t really want a black diamond as I want the stone to be more opaque. I have an onyx ring at home with a rather large stone that has a damaged shank. I thought about having it reset but I believe the bottom is flat. Could this be reset? Is onyx a man made stone? Also, I would love suggestions for really dainty white gold halos. Any and all help appreciated.

EDIT: Please also give me pros and cons on they types of stones and level of pricing if you know. I really appreciate the help!

You can have onyx reset, but maybe it''s not worth the trouble since it''s quite affordable to get a new one if that''s what you want. Maybe you should just repair that ring, but of course, it''s all up to you.

When it comes to black gemstones, my first choice (by far) are those bead looking gems, about which we''re not allowed to talk on this forum (you know, people string them into necklaces...). They''re not the most durable of stones (certainly not for a lot of wear), but it can be done. As for prices, I believe a nice one (although not top quality) can be bought for like 500$, but there are various kinds, some of which are cheaper. There are also special forums just about them, available online, with a lot of experts as moderators.

My second best is black opal. I know it''s not all black (there''s play of colors on black background), but still... Not durable, but OK for occasional wear. Prices - from 50$ to heavens above; they can surpass even finest black pearls in prices.

Another stone that might interest you is black star sapphire. They have a golden-colored star effect on black background when exposed to direct light. They''re very durable (suitable for daily wear), interesting, not commonly seen and not expensive (I believe they''re under 100$ a carat).

One of my favorite black stones is black druzy agate. It''s not very durable (more than pearls, but not as sapphires), and it''s more used in designer pieces cause it''s eye-catching and unusual. Prices aren''t very high, depending on size, I believe you can get away with under 100$.

There is black jade, but it doesen''t look much diferent than onyx, so I doubt you''d be interested in it. Same goes for black coral (which is also very hard to find, and I''m guessing quite expensive) and black jet (fosilized wood).

There''s also a mother of that bead looking gem, that''s used as a gem on it''s own. It''s cheap, easily found, not durable, but it''s very easy to replace it in case of damage.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Did you see Lovingdiamonds post with her gorgeous black diamond? It''s the one about the LOGR setting.

luvovals

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! Ma Re I did a Google search (as nothign came up on Pricescope) on black druzy agate and that''s looks like a beautiful option. Any suggestions on vendors that carry it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results