shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring value?

zbknyc

Rough_Rock
I’m looking for any input on the potential value of this ring that was given to me by my mother 15 years ago. Long story short, she had a very similar ring and she wanted to use the two center stones for something else. She asked the jeweler to insert the green tourmaline in their place, but the jeweler found the old setting to be fragile and gave her this setting as a replacement. Therefore, it has limited sentimental value because the only original parts are the outer diamonds. She gave this to me with the idea that I’d get married at some point and give this to my wife. Well, I’m recently engaged and planning the wedding but my fiancé doesn’t have much interest in this piece. If it’s value would help offset the wedding costs in any significant way, I may try to sell it. Otherwise, it may go to my older sister. I believe the green stones are tourmaline, the diamonds are natural (based on their source from a 40yr old ring) and the metal is 14k gold. Thanks in advance for any input! 10B2953D-D93D-4E15-AF21-A6FA669B5A59.jpeg 4F2A9621-CFA6-49AC-AA67-8A9F29025C4F.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty ring. If your fiance doesn't want it, I would definitely consider offering it to your sister, because it was your mom's and may have sentimental value to her. To put your mind at ease concerning value, you could always get a appraisal. Good luck.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Compare prices on eBay.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also really like it

its a pity your future wife doesn't because your mum had her in mind - even if she had no idea who your future wife would be or what she'd be like or what she'd like
all i have of my MIL is some silver earings i treasure - its a big family with grandaughters and im a 2nd wife so i was honoured to inherit anything

If you really need the money im sure your mum would have wanted to help
But i like the idea of giving it to your sister or even saving it for your future daughter

my mother left a ring in her will for my sister's baby daughter to be given as a 16th birthday present

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
If you'd like to search for similar styles, search for bypass rings. It is probably $2k or less. Keep in mind all of the prices listed are retail prices, you will rarely get more than about 60% of retail value. I've attached some similar rings:
$1300 https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...e-flower-white-gold-bypass-ring/id-j_9275242/
$1500 https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...ntic-cluster-spiral-flower-ring/id-j_9777322/
This is a named designer in platinum $3900 https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...ss-style-platinum-cocktail-ring/id-j_4146581/
Hope this helps!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I find looking on eBay under “sold” gives you an idea of what price has recently been achieved for a similar item.
this ring is similar in style, though more emeralds less diamonds and sold recently for $575. So realistically I’d say under $1,000 if you were to sell it yourself via eBay or Loupe Troop.
be aware that a pawnbroker or similar will offer you a lot less, probably only offer a few hundred dollars. Selling through an Auction house is another option but you as a seller pay around 20% fee AND the buyer also pays around a 20% fee so that reduces the value you can expect to C7A1D6A0-99DE-4D5A-B36E-3E126200F5F0.jpeg realise.

zbknyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the insight so far. It’s very helpful. I’m leaning towards keeping it or gifting it to my sister. If we were taking 3k or something like that, I’d be more tempted to sell but for <1k, I think I’d regret it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results