shape
carat
color
clarity

ring turning finger black...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My T&CO ring is turning my finger a funny color. I don''t understand what could be causing this. I have worn other silver rings and had been fine. I washed it with dish soap, but there is still a little color on my finger. Help please.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
since you say you haven''t had trouble with this wearing silver before why don''t you use a polishing cloth to make sure there is no tarnish on the ring. hth.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 12:11:14 AM
Author:Gothgrrl
My T&CO ring is turning my finger a funny color. I don''t understand what could be causing this. I have worn other silver rings and had been fine. I washed it with dish soap, but there is still a little color on my finger. Help please.

Strange that your other rings didn''t go black. All I can think of is:

1. Your Tiffany ring is a fake, and is not 925 Sterling but only silver plated.

2. Your other silver rings are rhodium plated, or maybe a non-copper based silver.

2. Your body chemistry has changed lately, maybe you''re low on iron?

3. Your environment is different - eg. different pollution, different soaps, hand creams etc.

Your options:

1. Rhodium plating

2. Paint the inside of the ring lightly with nail polish

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl, about 10 years ago I got the Tiffany Xs and Os ring in silver. I had worn other silver jewelry for years but for some reason that particular ring turned my finger kinda black/green. When I took it back to them they told be that the acidity in my skin was causing this reaction and that it's not entirely uncommon.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that - must be disappointing. I have a similar problem with a Tiffany loving heart pendant. The chain is fine but for some reason I get a greenish black smudge on my neck where the heart touches. So flattering!

DH bought me a bottle of stuff (techincal term!) from a drugstore that you paint on the back / inside of silver pieces and that seemed to do the trick. Naturally, I''ve forgotten what it''s called, or where I put it (so this is probably next to no help at all!) but if you asked in a store, they might have something along these lines?
Good luck.
Jen

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:34:27 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Gothgrrl, about 10 years ago I got the Tiffany Xs and Os ring in silver. I had worn other silver jewelry for years but for some reason that particular ring turned my finger kinda black/green. When I took it back to them they told be that the acidity in my skin was causing this reaction and that it''s not entirely uncommon.
how did they remedy the situation? did they return it?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the silver "Nature" ring from T&CO and it turns my finger blackish green sometimes. I think it''s because it''s solid silver and it''s a pretty substantial band width. No air can get under it so it reacts with your body chemistry causing it to tarnish quickly. That''s really all the color is, tarnish rubbing off on your hand. I take my ring off every night before bed and it seems to help. I wore it non-stop when I first got it and developed a rash under it because my skin couldn''t breath. I don''t have that problem now that I take it off at night. So I don''t consider it a problem with the product or the quality, it''s certainly NOT a fake. It''s just a quirk of the design and the nature of silver.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everybody. I will try polishing it to see if it helps.
36.gif

Hudson Hawk, yes it is a really wide ring and I have been wearing it since I got it. I guess I will take it off at night. Bummer.....I like to wear rings and not take them off. Oh well, least now I know what the color is on my finger.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2007 10:18:43 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 3/22/2007 9:34:27 AM

Author: Dee*Jay

Gothgrrl, about 10 years ago I got the Tiffany Xs and Os ring in silver. I had worn other silver jewelry for years but for some reason that particular ring turned my finger kinda black/green. When I took it back to them they told be that the acidity in my skin was causing this reaction and that it''s not entirely uncommon.
how did they remedy the situation? did they return it?

They did return it and I got the yellow gold version (but to the tune of about $400 more dollars!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results