shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring sizing Q - 1/4 vs 1/2, summer vs winter

ozzy11

Rough_Rock
All the websites have quarter sizes but stores only have half sizes on their ring sizer thing. When I go into a store the 5 1/2 ring fits perfect. I can't get the 5 on my finger without more shoving than I'm willing to do.

It's summer so I'm guessing my ring size gets smaller in the winter.

How do I know if I'm a 5 1/4 when there is no where to try that size on?

silly question maybe :)

OrchidVee

Rough_Rock
I'm new to all of this, but could you order ring sizers off line?? I don't know how accurate they will be, but maybe it will give you some sort of idea?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're planning on wearing a wedding band with your engagement ring, I'd get the 5 1/2. Rings fit tighter when you wear more than 1 together.

ozzy11

Rough_Rock
Hi Orchid - I did try ring sizer in real life but it only had half sizes.

thing2of2 - thanks for that. i might be paranoid - so afraid it might fall off!

in the end better a bit bigger than too small.

thanks all!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I had this same debate. A 5 1/2 is too big, but a 5 is just a bit small. I was concerned that a 5 1/4 would be too tight in the summer, but I knew a 5 1/2 would be too big the rest of the time. I finally settled on a 5 3/8. Ha. It is slightly big. I got a motified euroshank to keep it from spinning, though, and it works well. There are times when it's really hard to take off, usually when I've been walking a lot or running. I'm really glad I didn't go for the smaller size because I would probably need soap to take it off on the hotter days.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I'm not on the list anymore, I thought I'd chime in...

I think it is better to go bigger in size.
My BGD engagement ring I just got is a size 6 7/8, because a 7 is too big. The ring spins a bit, but it definitely isn't big enough to fall off. I would rather have it fit loose than be hard to get over my knuckles or give my finger a muffin top.

I would guess that it is easier to size down a little if you get the 5 1/2 and decide it's a bit loose than it is to size up if you buy it too small.

thebunnybears

Rough_Rock
This is a big issue esp if one is considering eternity rings! I used to live in the NE and I was def a 4.5 ring size if not a bit smaller. Down here in the South, I'm up to a 5 on hot days. I really wanted an eternity but I'm not sure if it's all that practical with temp shifts, morning vs evening, and esp as we age.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1311112231|2972517 said:
I had this same debate. A 5 1/2 is too big, but a 5 is just a bit small. I was concerned that a 5 1/4 would be too tight in the summer, but I knew a 5 1/2 would be too big the rest of the time. I finally settled on a 5 3/8. Ha. It is slightly big. I got a motified euroshank to keep it from spinning, though, and it works well. There are times when it's really hard to take off, usually when I've been walking a lot or running. I'm really glad I didn't go for the smaller size because I would probably need soap to take it off on the hotter days.

Haha, i did exactly the same! went with the 5 3/8...i havent got the ring yet but im thinking i should have gotten the 5 1/4 as im worried it will spin, and ill be unlikely to take it off EVER (im prone to losing things!!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results