shape
carat
color
clarity

ring size HELP PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clueless1

Rough_Rock
I am about to buy a ring for my girl. I got the diamond picked but I have to guess her ring/finger size! She does not currently live with me and I do not want to ask her since my proposal will be a surprise. What do people in my situation usually do? Can you guys venture a guess on her ring size? She is 5''4'''' 110-115 lbs. I have been told that it is always safer to overestimate the finger size a little bit because it is possible to tighten the ring later on. My second question is whether or not I can get a diamond appraised after it is set. I am buying a ring from dirtcheapdiamonds.com and will have it set on a platinum band before I can get it appraised. Thank you for the information. You guys are always a great help.
rodent.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Let one of her friends or family members in on the surprise and ask for their help in finding out her ring size. Personally - I would not ever want to give up my engagement ring for sizing after I got it given to me! So get the size correct the first time.

Suggestions: Have the friend/family member tell your fiance they are thinking about getting a ring for themselves and start discussing that persons' ring size and then have them ask her what size her fingers are out of curiosity.

IF she doesn't know - have them go to a jewelry store together and both of them get their fingers sized. It won't seem obvious if they are really hunting for the "friend/family member". Girls do stuff like that anyways.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes down!
wavey.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Another idea - if she has fashion rings that she wears on that finger you might be able to sneak one out and have it measured.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sneaky - but very effective Dancingirl
appl.gif

Also, does she wear any other rings? You can make an imprint of the ring.

You could go out and buy an inexpensive five & dime type silver band *close* to what may be her size. Tell her you found it(scuff it up a bit) & see if it fits. Women naturally try things on.

BTW, the average size ring is 7. And, sizing down is easier than sizing up.

Good luck.

smaggard

Rough_Rock
Maybe try stealing another ring or 2?
I took 2 of her rings and had them sized. Unfortunately for me, one was a 7 and one was an 8, not very helpful
9.gif

So I went with 7 1/4 and it is PERFECT! What luck eh?

But I would try to do this maybe even before trying to get her friends to get her to try things on etc., especially if there is something she wears frequently.
Good luck!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
To add: Make sure it is the correct finger & hand. Is she right handed or left handed? The dominant hand will be naturally larger. Also, typically the wider the band the larger the ring size for comfort. Consider all of this if you use one of her rings.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Also for her size... my guess is she'll have smaller than the average finger. But then again - I'm 5'7", and thin build and have size 4.5 ring finger, which is very thin. My guess is your girl may be a 5 or 5.5... but be safe - get an ally to help you in this investigation pronto!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Very true Fire&Ice. I am 5'4 and 112 pounds. I wear a 5 1/2 e-ring which is about 2 mm wide but a size 6 wedding band because it is 8 mm wide. My right hand is a half size larger than my left.
rolleyes.gif

Diamondlil

clueless1

Rough_Rock
thank you very much for the advice... i will do some detective work.
rodent.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
The appraisal question.....it is no problem whatsoever to have it appraised in the setting. Dirtcheapdiamonds is one of the many internet companies that will send directly to our offices or the appraiser of your choice to verify the report and do a complete documentation which you will need for insurance purposes. Forwarding services save time and a lot of running around for the purchaser. Just be careful of inflated values and appraisers that are not truly independent.
appl.gif
Cindy

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
From her size I would guess she has a ring size of 4.5-5.5 so I'd get the 5.5 and then if it needs to be made a bit smaller it's no big deal. I had to get mine sized down because it was a half size too big at first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results