shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Size - Help needed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am not too sure about American ring size. I am a size ''L'' in the UK. Can someone confirm that it is a size 5 1/2 in the US?

Also my ring is made of white gold. Will the 6-prongs (white gold) have any problems holding a 1ct to 1.2ct stone?

Thanks!
twirl.gif

JOE_Q

Rough_Rock
Hi Meow.
Yes, an L in the U.K. = 5 1/2 in the U.S.
If anyone is interested here's a link to a conversion chart. http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

As far as the prongs in white gold, Although not as strong as platinum,
I'm sure that six prongs will hold a diamond just fine. Have your ring checked on a regular basis by a jeweler to insure the stone remains properly set.(this is the opinion of a novice so please take my advice accordingly).

Joe.

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks Joe.

Well a size 'L' is what I wear all the time. But I have heard people saying that you should get your engagement ring that bit smaller/tighter. Is that true?

JOE_Q

Rough_Rock
Meow.
I know that with a solitaire ring and a very nice size diamond like yours
(1ct-1.2) it may tend to make the ring a bit top heavy. If it is looser fitting it may spin on your finger causing you to be constantly adjusting
the ring back to the center of your finger. So I'd say it's true to make it
a little smaller/tighter. Keep in mind that in the winter(cold weather) your finger measurement is at it's smallest. Also in the morning your ring size is
a little smaller, so if you size your ring to fit very snug with cold hands first thing in the morning, you'll have a tough time putting it on for your
evening luau this summer.
2.gif

Joe.

meow4444

Rough_Rock
That was exactly what I was told!!! (the part about the ring being heavy topped)

The ring is not a 'Tiffany-style' 6 prong. It is one with 28 little diamonds around it (about 0.035ct each). Maybe that will prevent the ring from turning since it will be quite thick.

I think I will go for a 5.5! Well if it is too big, I will just try to put on more weight. Ha!

9.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
By the way... a carat of diamond won't make your ring more heavy..
Remember that a ring can weight anywhere from 5 grams to let's say
10 grams in platinum... .This simply can't be compared
to the weight (almost nothing) of even a 2 ct diamond!

Trichrome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never before worn a ring to sleep and so I didn't know that at night my fingers swell slightly...making my fingers a bit larger in the morning than normally. I've found that my ring bothers me when I wear it at night, so I remove it, but it is hard to put on in the morning as my hands are a little swollen and I prefer the slightly loose ring look rather than the tight on the finger squeezing the flesh look/feel. I don't like constricting things at all in general. I'm a little worried about the summer heat as that makes you swell too and my ring is a pain to resize because of the diamonds all the way around...but I guess we will see!!! So definitely take into mind the summer swelling and/or night swelling...as I have heard I'm not the only girl whose hands swell at night, some of my other girlfriends have had this problem too...and if you don't wear rings at night or they aren't fitted closely to your fingers (fun rings are not the same as an e-ring..my fun rings are like a size bigger than my e-ring), you may not know if your fingers swell or not.

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi meow,
Another option which has proven to be quite effective when a ring may be slightly top heavy and/or someone with a slightly larger knuckle is to have two gold balls soldered inside the shank of your ring one either side of the ridge on your finger this stops the ring from spinning around if it's to loose enabling you to wear your ring in comfort all year around.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results