shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size - advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m about to start the CAD process for my e-ring and I need to finalise any last bits before we start. I''m a little nervous on my ringsize:

I''m currently wearing a size 7 eternity band which 90% of the time is way too big for my fingers - however, if I do anything particularly energetic my fingers swell up and I have to take it off.

I was in Tiffany last week and tried on about 5 or 6 of their rings of different sorts. I notied that they were an amazingly comfortable fit and the salesguy told me that they were all a size 6. It moved easily on my hand, but even high up settings didn''t move round when I shook my hand. I was in there for about half an hour so I reckon my hands had warmed up from the cold weather outside.

Other jewellers haven''t been happy to tell me my ring size unless I am ordering from them so that route is out. I looked into buying a sizing set, but all the ones I could find were in UK sizes not US and I don''t want to wait ages for a set to arrive here.

My knuckles are slightly smaller than my finger, so the ring needs to fit quite snugly.

What would you guys do? Go with the fact that 6 different Tiffany rings were all a perfect fit, or err on the side of caution and get a 6.25 or 6.5 and risk having it a tiny bit too big?

The ring will be channel set to the 5 o''clock and 8 o''clock points so I need to get this right as resizing will be a nightmare.

Oh I hate making these decisions!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
who did you end up going with for the setting?

whiteflash told me they use the same sizers as tiffany, so if it were me i''d go with a six and just take them off before doing anything active. i hate how loose rings feel (and they make me nervous) so i err on the small size, especially for daily wear.

i could be wrong, but i don''t think it would be that big of deal to size your ring just a smidge (like a quarter or a half size) if you end up having to change it.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would go into a few more B&Ms and have your finger sized. I have never had a problem asking for my finger to be sized.

Also, my ring is pave to 5 and 8 also and it was sized a half size with absolutely no problem.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have smaller knuckles too... and also wear a six. However I can wear a 5.5 - 6.25 depending on the shank thickness. Did the rings you try on have the same approximate thickness as the ring you are intending to get? If not, then you need to adjust a little. The thicker the shank, the larger the size of the ring.

As for sizing. Just go into a any decent jewelry store and tell them you want to buy a ring for your mom. You''re not sure what size she wears... her rings are a little big for you. Ask them to size you, so that you can take your best guess on her size. Then pretend to like something, get the information on a business card, and tell them you need to show it talk to your sister or husband because it is a little more than budget.

Of course... I''ve never had to do this just to get sized. I just ask them to size me and they do. But I did have to do that we wanted to buy for a ring we bought my FMIL... and they sized me to figure out the best size for her.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting Wink to do my setting. I was really pleased with the tsavorite he found me - and I got to see on Wink TV!

I feel that he has a great eye for detail and cares about producing something beautiful. I also didn''t need a designer as I knew pretty much what I wanted, so that ruled out going with Leon Mege for me - If you''re paying the $$ for his work you may as well just ask him to produce you the masterpiece he thinks right, rather than be a pedantic control freak like I am and throw a tantrum if he so much as wiggles a prong in a different direction!

Thanks for the advice on the ring size. It''s making me nervous - I keep trying to think what bugs me most, too loose or too tight.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas! Storytelling time I think! Annoyingly I bet they will all size in UK sizes but at least I''ll have a wider range.

The ring is split-shank at the top, but single shank and rounded at the bottom and probably about 3mm max. The one I''m wearing at the moment which is a 7 is about 6mm wide, which probably makes it feel much smaller than it actually is. I have found that expensive rings reef much more comfortable on than cheap ones - or is that my imagination?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Jazmine. Don''t be shy, and no need to lie. Just tell them your fiance wants to know your ring size and you''re not sure.

It''s in the best interest of any B&M to be courteous because you may be back for future business. And they don''t necessarily know who your fiance is, so they could assume he''s already a client. Don''t worry.

I did the same - I visited 3-4 different stores at different times of the day. All but one said the same size.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Something that should be a bit more foolproof is to get a cheap silver ring from a kiosk in the mall in about the same width as the ring you are buying and wear it for a while and be sure it fits correctly. Have the designer measure the inside diameter with calipers and make exactly that. Don''t have them use the tapered rod, but only calipers. The ring size essentially doesn''t matter if they correctly match the inside diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results