shape
carat
color
clarity

ring size advice...help!

misarisa

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies,

I recently went to look at rings for the first time. I have always thought I was a size 5.5 in rings. The jeweler sized my ring finger, and told me I should buy a 4.75! I was shocked. The 4.75 is definitely a struggle to get off, but they told me that it SHOULD be struggle to get off because you don't want your ring spinning and moving around. Is this true? I know that your size can also fluctuate depending on the season, so I don't know if I should order a 4.75 or go with a 5 that felt more comfortable. What do you all think? Thanks for your help!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to say since I don't know how the ring felt on your finger, but I'll say that I was sized multiple times and a 6.5 is what always "fit", but I wish I had a 6.25 and I think I may have my ring sized down. I have a fancy wedding set with two 2mm bands, but I have a 3 mm titanium band that I wear to work. The 6.5 fits fine for the 3mm, but my real wedding set is a little loose and "spins" around my finger quite a bit. You don't want it too tight that you'll have a hard time getting it off, but I think too loose is worse.

Don't get the 4.75 if it's uncomfortable on your finger though.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
I had the same thing happen to me. I typically wear a size 5.5 and was told to size down to 4.75 or 5 as they expect my ring to spin or sit "crooked" to one side or the other.

I may size down a bit, but definitely not to a 4.75. I would rather my ring fit just right or a tad loose as opposed to too snug and leave a dent in my finger. Especially as you stated that our fingers fluctuate in size depending on time of day, weather, our diet, etc. So there will be days and times where the 4.75 will feel too tight, which IMO is worse than it feeling a bit looser.

They are only trying to be helpful, but please go with what you feel is comfortable. We know our bodies better than the jeweler. And if you feel the 4.75 is too snug, I personally would size up a bit.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings also spin at certain times during the day/week/month as well as fit too tight on alternate times. I am annoyed my body betrays me so much with these fluctuations (grrr!) but I'd rather have it a bit looser than tighter. I feel tighter makes my hands look super puffy and uncomfortable.

Go with the size that you feel best about - is there a happy medium at 5.25 perhaps? or 5 with a sizing bead in it?

Or...Try another jeweller to see what advice you get from a different store... just a thought!

misarisa

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help! It really is frustrating. I think I am going to go with a size 5 - I'd rather have it on the loose size rather than too tight. I am afraid that if I go with the 4.75 my ring won't fit in the summer when my finger is bigger. I just want to be comfortable! :)

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would buy a cheapo ring and wear it around for a while to see how it feels when your hands are cold, warm, in the morning, before bed, during "that time" of the month... I know which size feels the most comfortable on me the majority of the time (4.5), but I could wear a 5 without too much spinning during the summer/"that time"/when I first wake up, and easily glide a 4 on and off during most of the winter.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
If you can find a euroshank to try on, I highly recommend it for keeping your rings from spinning. It's a little more expensive, but they're also generally better quality as well. They're also REALLY comfortable. Can you tell I am a big fan? ;))

Good luck!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.8mm ring, which I had to get resized because I thought I was a 4/4.5 based on those plastic ring sizers you can get free in the mail (hardly accurate, I know). The size they used at the jewelry store was the one right before it was impossible to get the sizer off my hand (which I was skeptical about because it was so tight) and now my ring fits perfectly. I think it depends on the width of the ring and I would say don't sweat it too much because everyone I know who's gotten engaged has had to get their ring resized. I think you will know better after you have it on your hand.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
MissStepcut|1322699652|3071897 said:
I would buy a cheapo ring and wear it around for a while to see how it feels when your hands are cold, warm, in the morning, before bed, during "that time" of the month... I know which size feels the most comfortable on me the majority of the time (4.5), but I could wear a 5 without too much spinning during the summer/"that time"/when I first wake up, and easily glide a 4 on and off during most of the winter.

this!

Question: what thickness of ring sizers did you try on (if that makes sense)? If your e-ring is going to be like 2mm in width (of the band), and you tried on one of those really thick ring sizers that look like they are thicker than a man's wedding ring, I think it's totally natural that they would be tight. I thought I was between two sizes (4.5 and 4, so was considering 4.25), and the smaller sizer (4) was just about impossible to get off. But I bought a few cheapy rings from overstock to get a feel for what worked in a 2mm thickness on my finger, and took the one that fit best to be sized, and it was actually slightly smaller than a 4.

You will probably be wearing it with a wedding ring, so maybe a tad loose is better? But the difference between the thick sizers and a thin band is huge in terms of tightness/how it feels. So I think experimenting on overstock is a great plan - their shipping is super fast, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results