shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring shopping updates!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hazel29

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies!

I just wanted to update you after my first ring-shopping trip with my bf - it was GREAT! We had so much fun.

We looked at three places - a local jeweler who is friends with his mom, Tiffany''s, and some other mall store. We LOVED the local jeweler - they were wonderful, and attentive, and incredibly knowledgable. We looked at a number of loose stones in the 1.5-2 carat range, in round, princess, emerald, radiant, and ascher cuts. I was totally surprised by liking the round the best (I thought I would like the more square shapes) and -- most shockingly -- by thinking 2 carats looked almost too big for me. I also thought I would like the three stone settings the best, and found they seemed a little too blingy. There was a setting a I did really like, but they only had it in rose gold, which I did not like (but they can custom make to whatever we want).

Here''s what it looks like: http://www.palasjewelers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=p1&Product_Code=13568&Category_Code=semi

If any of you have seen something similar in plantinum and can post a link or a picture, I''d be so grateful!!!

As for Tiffany''s, I have to say I was totally underwhelmed. The markup on the rings they showed us was mind-boggling; I couldn''t believe what they can get away with charging. And I was also underwhelmed with the sales associate. She just knew so much less about the quality of the stones and the individual characteristics, and she seemed so much less invested in them.

And the other mall store just sucked. We spent five minutes there.

But we came away from the weekend loving the local jewelers and super excited about working with them. And my BF bought me a surprise! He told me it seemed unfair to have me spend hours in a jewelry store and walk away empty handed, so he told me to pick out whatever I wanted as a present! I got a gorgeous necklace - it looks a little like this one but the stones are much darker blue/turquoise(I have to call and find out what they are - I was so excited I forgot to ask!) http://www.palasjewelers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=p1&Product_Code=13000&Category_Code=exclusives

Anyway, all in all, a great success!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
exciting times!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you had a great time!
36.gif

Ditto on the Tiff's. Fun to look around and ogle, but I'm not impressed by the huge markup at ALL. Sorry, not gonna pay for the name. Don't care that much.
2.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Great news! Sounds like a really fun shopping excursion. Beautiful setting!

Damo256 just got engaged w/ a similar-looking ring in platinum or WG: damo256''s thread.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting! Check out damo's thread for sure.

I'm not surprised about your thoughts towards Tiffany's. It's just mind boggling that they can sell you a .5ct plain ol' round that isn't even perfect specs, Ex, G, VVS2, engagement ring, for what it would cost to buy a .8ct (Ideal ACA, G, VS1) almost identical ring from Whiteflash--that still ended up being around $500 cheaper than Tiffs. I looked at this not very long ago, and thats a huge size/price difference. I can't even fathom paying that for a name and a blue box.

I am going local to go custom for my reset. I think thats the way to go for a lot of people. I wanted to be able to talk to someone face to face, and try things on to see how they look.

I can't wait to see what you get!!!

hazel29

Rough_Rock
oooh, I LOVE Damo''s setting - anyone have any idea where she got it from??

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
yay that''s awesome. your boyfriend is great!

i also have to agree on the tiffany''s thing... i really like the lucida setting, but not for that markup!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 3:23:14 PM
Author: hazel29
oooh, I LOVE Damo''s setting - anyone have any idea where she got it from??
She says her fiance got it somewhere in the NYC diamond district, but she''s not sure where or who the designer is. Hopefully she''ll see this thread and chime in!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 4:38:51 PM
Author: mscushion
Date: 3/23/2009 3:23:14 PM
Author: hazel29
oooh, I LOVE Damo's setting - anyone have any idea where she got it from??
She says her fiance got it somewhere in the NYC diamond district, but she's not sure where or who the designer is. Hopefully she'll see this thread and chime in!
Well, hazel, I just went in search of that setting online because I could have SWORN I saw it recently on a website... but of course I didn't find it.
7.gif
Here are a few settings that I came across that are in the same spirit -- I thought you might want to see them just for eye-candy. In any case, it sounds like your b&m jeweler will just re-make the rose gold setting for you in white, so you sound all set.
Pearlmans
Knox 1
Knox 2
Whiteflash 1
Whiteflash 2
Otherwise, you could always ask for pics of diamond braid engagement rings over in RockyTalky.

ETA - not sure why the links formatted in a weird way, but they work, so it doesn't matter I guess. Links fixed.

hazel29

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies! I really appreciate the advice and help.

I"m so excited!!!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooooh!!! So pretty!!! It reminds me of this one I tried on at 23rd St Jewelers...it didn''t really stand out to me on the website, but I tried it on when I went there, and I think that style looks soooo pretty on.

Yay for you! Sounds like a very fun trip!! (Wish I could walk out with something everytime I went to a jewelry store...ha ha!)
2.gif

23rd st swirl ring.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/product/ring_enquiry.asp?RN=016&FP=ring%2016&RC=1

http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/viewall.asp

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/slides/Andy-T-CP-001.html

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hazel, that ring you liked is gorgeous!! I recently saw one like that (same style but in WG) in real life and absolutely loved it! And what a pretty necklace you got out of the excursion! Glad to hear your trip was so successful :)

When my bf and I went ring shopping, I definitely liked the local stores better. I''m in Atlanta too, maybe I''ll have to take my bf to Palas the next time he''s in town
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results