shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring shopping, pics and GIA #'s inside. Advice appreciated :

ride77390

Rough_Rock
Hello
I am currently shopping for an engagement ring and my girlfriend found one she likes (see pictures). I know and understand the basics but beyond that I don't know anything about jewelry or diamonds. I prefer quality over quantity so it must have a nice cut. I really like the H&A but have no idea what prices look like for something like that. The jeweler quoted me $7250 which includes the 1.02CT stone below and gave me some other stone options. My budget is $9k. Here is the breakdown:

Setting: $1538
1.02CT GIA 2116362264 $5712
1.15CT GIA 2131338647 $6600

My questions:
1) Are these prices reasonable based on the market and GIA numbers?
2) Are these two stones cut well?
3) Are there any vendors online that I could email this stuff to and get a quote on? If so who?
4) How would a H&A stone be priced in relation to these assuming the same clarity, color, and size?

I don't need the BEST, but I'm looking for as close to the best as I can get without wasting it on areas that are not noticable. Any other feedback would be great and much appreciated! Thank you all.

2011-05-26_18-04-28_700.jpg

2011-05-26_17-49-14_502.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Ring shopping, pics and GIA #'s inside. Advice appreciat

A stone with the specs of the first one retails for about $5000 online.

In a halo style mount like that I would personally opt for H color or better, and I would not really like an SI2 stone myself, either, since it is difficult to find ones that are truly eye clean, and with your generous budget, there is no reason to compromise on clarity unless you want to maximize size. We can do better for you online if you are open to it!

You do not need an H&A stone to have a really well cut stone, and can save some money there if you want. I also think with a setting like that workmanship matters a lot, because pave is delicate and a poorly crafted setting will cause you lots of headaches.

For settings like that the designer that gets great reviews for a good value is Beverly K. This setting is almost identical to the one your gf likes:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/105PP1/

As for diamonds, that leaves you about $7000. Here are some that look really nice to me from vendors with excellent reputations on PS.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049084005
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1307968.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8322/

ride77390

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone. What has been the general experience buying stones online and bringing them to a local jeweler. I can imagine that they will change the price of the setting, charge to set the stone, and I'll loose the customer service quality that I would get buying the complete ring. Any thoughts/feedback on this? Thanks again.

ride77390

Rough_Rock

Also, can anyone find that band online? I didn't get the whole part number but from the picture you can see it ends in 4864 unless that is the local jeweler's number?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can't find the band without a designer. Most likely it is a stock type ring the jeweler calls in from a supplier, and no way to find that. You can always buy the setting from him and send the setting to the online vendor for setting.

Most jewelers will set outside stones for a small fee, perhaps $100 - $200. They should not charge more for the setting when sold on its own and if they do they are not a very good jeweler in my opinion. The price should be the price and it should be clearly marked. And if they are not going to offer good customer service, then you can take your business elsewhere for servicing etc.

ride77390

Rough_Rock

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Under what scope?

This stone will be leaky and have a smaller diameter than similar weight but well cut rounds.

ride77390

Rough_Rock

I have no idea what kind of scope, it was a small hand held one. So it is leaky due to the poor proportion (taller and less diameter)? I'm new to this stuff so I'm just trying to understand it as best I can.

Also, I got the IdealScope image like you suggested earlier in this post. Would you take a look if I was to email it to you? Thanks again. :twirl:

ride77390

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the link, I'm still reading up on it. Here is the idealscope.

1255561id.jpg

ride77390

Rough_Rock

It looks like the 1.15 I posted is closest to #9 in the link you sent based on the numbers. Is that right?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

The IS image looks good.

ride77390 said:
It looks like the 1.15 I posted is closest to #9 in the link you sent based on the numbers. Is that right?

Probably much worse than that as the pavilion angle is much larger than #9.

What kind of image did you see in the scope? Anything similar in the article?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Hey Ride! Great job taking in so very much information! :appl: For all your hard work you are going to find an amazing diamond!! Your girls setting is beautiful! Congrats!

bridecat

Rough_Rock

One is pretty good! Does she like them?

Definitely go with GIA no matter what. I wouldn't purchase a diamond these days that wasn't graded by them. Good luck...you are on the right track!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results