shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring settings - Claude Thibaudeau

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

futures

Rough_Rock
I have picked out the diamond and will have it set on a temporary ring.
After proposing I''ll let my girlfriend decide on a setting of her choice. However, I found one setting very interesting and was wondering how much it and a matching band retailed for.. any Thibaudeau distributers?

http://www.creationthibaudeau.com/html/coll/coll.html

For some strange reason I think I care more about getting my girlfriend a great ring more than she cares for it.

Oh well.

futures

Rough_Rock
I noticed Tower's post but I didn't bother messaging him because it seems as if he hasn't been on the forum recently. Spence Diamonds seems to carry Thibaudeau's design and are asking a very reasonable $1550 Canadian for the platinum setting. However, Spence will not sell the setting alone or let you use your own diamonds. The latter makes sense as it avoids fraud. I've e-mailed Thibaudeau's business but doubt I will get a response because I hear they are bad at responding to inquiries. There is also a matching band to the ring which looks great. I would hate to think I have to buy a Canadian designed ring from a US retailer. Below are links to two US retailers that seem to have both setting and matching band. Looks great.
http://weddingband.com/ctpug32.html
http://www.creditdiamonds.com/CART.ASP?whichpage=3&mode=price&category=19&subcategory=74&subsubcategory=0&item=161

I'm only concerned about the saftey of tension set rings. A section about the different types of settings, prongs, tension, etc. would be interesting!

Thanks

tower

Rough_Rock
I did buy a ring from Thibaudeau and have had mixed results. First off, we really love the design and look of the ring but we've had some problems. I chose the PLT-1207 but I modified the design, taking the gold tubes out underneath the diamond. About one week after proposing the diamond came loose and started sliding out (emerald cut). I was obviously upset. We sent the ring back which took awhile since it has to go through customs, etc. They said that the design change caused a problem, seems the culet is supposed to rest on those gold tubes. I don't think the ring was really finished correctly though. After several days of talking with them they did some work on it and the diamond is more secure. I'm not happy with the second round of work, under close inspection the details look kind of amateurish and am looking to go to the local jeweler who sold it to me and complain. I was really unhappy with the customer service after the diamond came loose. I was told the ring would be ready to be reshipped two or three times before they actually shipped it. Such a shame too, they make beautiful rings and designs, they dropped the ball on this one!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Thibaudeau is well known here in Montreal where I'm living. However
there are plenty of excellent jewellers working in our "diamond district".
If you need some names I can give them to you. Most of them
are cheaper than those with well-known names..

Trichrome.

futures

Rough_Rock
According to Julie, a Claude Thibaudeau support person, the Spence Diamond design for $1550 was a knockoff and that Spence Diamonds knocks off many designs. I'm sure that this pretty common practise. But when a "major" brand starts knocking off designs, that's pretty low.

As for the Thibaudeau tension setting.. having the diamond fall out is something I would be concerned about it. Wonder if that's a major issue with all tension settings.

I imagine having some grooves (channels??) in the tension part would help hold the diamond more.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Hey, my ring (Gelin and Abaci) does have the "grooves" that you speak of that the girdle of the stone basically sits in. I think that most tension settings have this actually. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results