shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring setting for heart shaped spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

faibos

Rough_Rock

Hi

I am currently cosidering buying a heart shaped red spinel, but I have some trouble finding a beautiful setting to mount it in. I have looked at the mountings from Stuller, but most of these rings are designed to hold more than a center stone. So I wanted to know if anyone in here are aware of some other beautiful designs, suited for a single heart shaped gemstone?

Barbara

Rough_Rock
I am currently cosidering buying a heart shaped red spinel, but I have some trouble finding a beautiful setting to mount it in. I have looked at the mountings from Stuller, but most of these rings are designed to hold more than a center stone. So I wanted to know if anyone in here are aware of some other beautiful designs, suited for a single heart shaped gemstone?

Hi Faibos,

Since no one has ventured an answer to this with a source of ready-made settings, let me suggest that you have a custom setting made for it. (This need not be as expensive as it sounds -- especially if you just have the "head" made and use a commercial ring shank.) It is really fun to either brainstorm your own ideas for designs, or to see images of other designers work and spin off a variant of theirs that is unique to you.

If you go with a well established and well known designer, you can expect to pay a hefty (and well deserved fee) for "design" services with materials and labor extra. I''ve gone that route and been happy with the results for the few "high end" stones I have, but for the majority of my custom pieces I go with lesser known talent who almost always charge just materials and labor.

How do you find a good designer who is inexpensive? If you live in a larger city, you might try the college or university fine arts departments where jewelry design (or metalsmithing) is taught. Advanced students can do wonderful work quite inexpensively. Almost every town still has a "Mom and Pop" jewelry store or two that does custom work. Take your idea into them with the stone and ask for an estimate. (Also make arrangements to approve both the final drawing and the wax).

Finding a good jewelry designer always reminds me of finding a good hairdresser -- you need one who will do what YOU want, but with their own expertise and style and of course they need to be affordable.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results