shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring reset ideas for this PC bright pink oval sapphire?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Hi all. I've recently had something incredibly traumatic happen to me involving this ring.
Now, I would like to redesign a new ring to reset the centre stone in. I've not been able to wear this ring since the incident unfolded and I can't even bear to look at it anymore.
Please, I need PSers expertise and creativity as I have none of my own :(sad

IMG_3413.jpg

The centre stone is a 3 ct precision cut lab pink sapphire from Gene (Precision Gem).
The dimensions are 9.9mm x 7.4mm. It's around 5mm deep.

pink sapphire glamour shot.JPEG

My issue is I usually tend towards simpler designs, which is why this is set in a solitaire right now... I don't know if it's just because the trauma is still fresh, but I've been trying to think of a redesign that's as far away as possible from this current setting... it just really brings back so much trauma and hurt for me.

I've been considering a three-stone setting, but I don't know what kind of side stones I should be looking at (shapes, size, do they need to be precision cut too? etc)...
I also don't want any diamonds or simulants (like white moissanite) for the reset.

I know other people will say "it's just jewellery" but this ring is so significant to me as it was meant to be an anniversary gift from my boyfriend. Now I can't even look at it, the incident has sullied this ring and I'm gutted because I've lost something important to me ("lost"—can't wear, can't stomach the sight of it)...

Just a crummy situation to be in. I would love to have this sapphire again in a ring that I am proud to wear.
My boyfriend has also joked that little jewellery project might also help lift my spirits. :)

Thanks all in advance, I hope you're all well!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of e-w, what do you think about this?

1646932910510.png

I took a photo of this ring back in the day because I wanted to use it as inspiration for the design of one of my rings. Imagine, instead of the cluster of small diamonds, your sapphire in the centre. It's a bit more sophisticated than a solitaire, but still elegant and simple, and not too flashy.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I've been considering a three-stone setting, but I don't know what kind of side stones I should be looking at (shapes, size, do they need to be precision cut too? etc)...
I also don't want any diamonds or simulants (like white moissanite) for the reset.

There are a lot of side stone options that could work with an elongated oval like that, but proportions matter.
Elongated oval sides - https://www.instagram.com/p/CX0q0MkNTLI/
Heart sides - https://www.instagram.com/p/CGTPn5XFQNI/

Deciding what gem type/color and finding the right pair - that is a different matter.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. I've recently had something incredibly traumatic happen to me involving this ring.
Now, I would like to redesign a new ring to reset the centre stone in. I've not been able to wear this ring since the incident unfolded and I can't even bear to look at it anymore.

IMG_3413.jpg

The centre stone is a 3 ct precision cut lab pink sapphire from Gene (Precision Gem).

My issue is I usually tend towards simpler designs, which is why this is set in a solitaire right now... I don't know if it's just because the trauma is still fresh, but I've been trying to think of a redesign that's as far away as possible from this current setting... it just really brings back so much trauma and hurt for me.

I know other people will say "it's just jewellery" but this ring is so significant to me as it was meant to be an anniversary gift from my boyfriend. Now I can't even look at it, the incident has sullied this ring and I'm gutted because I've lost something important to me ("lost"—can't wear, can't stomach the sight of it)...

Just a crummy situation to be in. I would love to have this sapphire again in a ring that I am proud to wear.
My boyfriend has also joked that little jewellery project might also help lift my spirits. :)

In my opinion it would look great in a sleek 5 stone ring, with half moon and bullet champagne or blush pink sapphires instead of diamond side stones set in platinum or white gold. E60A0242-0EE2-4625-987C-750854F0FD43.jpeg

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I think setting it EW would be great for 'reframing' your mindset about the stone and ring. I love @seaurchin's first and last inspiration. I also wondered about changing it to a pendant, again, EW.

Sorry to hear of you troubles and I certainly hope having a project like this helps - or at least distracts - you! Maybe set an intention about how you want to move forward, and select an option that reflects your intent. I, personally, am not nearly disciplined enough to do what I've just recommend, and would pick something as far away from what it was as possible, but that's me - and thank goodness more people aren't like me :lol-2:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Budget? That will give us some idea how crazy to get with the design.
It's relatively cheap to get rings/settings done here, so I guess my biggest consideration would be spending on the side stones... I guess no more than $300 for those... :confused2:

There are a lot of side stone options that could work with an elongated oval like that, but proportions matter.
Elongated oval sides - https://www.instagram.com/p/CX0q0MkNTLI/
Heart sides - https://www.instagram.com/p/CGTPn5XFQNI/

Deciding what gem type/color and finding the right pair - that is a different matter.
The heart sides idea is growing on me! :kiss2: I recall seeing a thread here on PS before about someone deciding on side stone shapes and heart side stones were widely discussed... I'll try to look for it.

I'm inclined to get spinels for the side stones, if I can... Now I'm not sure about the colour. I would like pink, but I don't know what shade/tone would complement or go well with the current sapphire.

I think setting it EW would be great for 'reframing' your mindset about the stone and ring. I love @seaurchin's first and last inspiration. I also wondered about changing it to a pendant, again, EW.

Sorry to hear of you troubles and I certainly hope having a project like this helps - or at least distracts - you! Maybe set an intention about how you want to move forward, and select an option that reflects your intent. I, personally, am not nearly disciplined enough to do what I've just recommend, and would pick something as far away from what it was as possible, but that's me - and thank goodness more people aren't like me :lol-2:
I'm not a big fan of EW, I've tried a few on before and they didn't really flatter my hand :(2

And thank you very much! =)2 I'm leaning toward the three-stone idea because I really like what it represents, and I'd love to change up the story behind this ring (just a bit)... but also just to move as faaaar away as possible too from the trauma :lol-2:

Speaking of e-w, what do you think about this?

1646932910510.png

I took a photo of this ring back in the day because I wanted to use it as inspiration for the design of one of my rings. Imagine, instead of the cluster of small diamonds, your sapphire in the centre. It's a bit more sophisticated than a solitaire, but still elegant and simple, and not too flashy.
It's very pretty! But just not quite to my taste... I don't think I have the confidence to wear an intricate ring like this :cry2:

Maybe bezel set?

oval bezel1.jpg oval bezel2.jpg oval bezel3.jpg oval bezel4.png

I like the 2nd suggestion here, it's really pretty and sleek! Is it true that bezels "darken" a stone or don't let as much light in?

A bezel would certainly be more comfortable to wear, and I do intend for it to be a daily ring (not quite an ER yet though, sadly hahaha)...

For a deep stone like my sapphire, how does bezelling work? Obviously I don't read or research too much about them—I probably should :lol:

In my opinion it would look great in a sleek 5 stone ring, with half moon and bullet champagne or blush pink sapphires instead of diamond side stones set in platinum or white gold. E60A0242-0EE2-4625-987C-750854F0FD43.jpeg

Wow!! This reminds me a lot of a ring my mum once had! :love: But I think for my taste it's a little too much, this is really a statement ring and I'm a little too demure for it :lol:

------

So I guess I am mostly considering a three-stone with perhaps oval or heart sides, or a sleek bezel :kiss2:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
The heart sides idea is growing on me! :kiss2: I recall seeing a thread here on PS before about someone deciding on side stone shapes and heart side stones were widely discussed... I'll try to look for it.

I'm inclined to get spinels for the side stones, if I can... Now I'm not sure about the colour. I would like pink, but I don't know what shade/tone would complement or go well with the current sapphire.

:kiss2:

I think a bezel would be less hassle and $ than going through the trouble of finding side stones (plus details like species, colors, proportions, pairing precision and non precision cut stones need to be considered).
But maybe if you enjoy the hunt or willing to get custom cut? This ring has a huge heart center stone, so not the best visualization, but the second photo gives a further away perspective of heart sides.

Regarding the bezel concern, the option of a semi bezel was brought up above, and will allow more light than a typical bezel. Here's a pretty unusual semi bezel design I recently came across.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I think a bezel would be less hassle and $ than going through the trouble of finding side stones (plus details like species, colors, proportions, pairing precision and non precision cut stones need to be considered).
But maybe if you enjoy the hunt or willing to get custom cut? This ring has a huge heart center stone, so not the best visualization, but the second photo gives a further away perspective of heart sides.

Regarding the bezel concern, the option of a semi bezel was brought up above, and will allow more light than a typical bezel. Here's a pretty unusual semi bezel design I recently came across.

You're right on the ease and less spend on resetting into a bezel... but OMG, that first ring you sent has my heart a-fluttering! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

It'll be a hunt for sure... I've seen some heart-shaped spinels on Instagram from Vietnam-based sellers I think. But I don't know how many of them would be a matched pair... Would it be a bad look to mix precision and non-PC stones?

I don't know who does custom-cut heart shapes, I've not come across any in the forums so far :( Ah!! The questions... but it is such a pretty idea... Although with a skinnier oval like mine, would heart side stones really work?

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
You're right on the ease and less spend on resetting into a bezel... but OMG, that first ring you sent has my heart a-fluttering! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

It'll be a hunt for sure... I've seen some heart-shaped spinels on Instagram from Vietnam-based sellers I think. But I don't know how many of them would be a matched pair... Would it be a bad look to mix precision and non-PC stones?

I don't know who does custom-cut heart shapes, I've not come across any in the forums so far :( Ah!! The questions... but it is such a pretty idea... Although with a skinnier oval like mine, would heart side stones really work?

Found a better visualization, with a 10x6 oval and 3.8x3.6 hearts.
Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 05-38-07 2 70 ctw Elongated Oval Moissanite Heart Diamonds Engagement...png Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 05-38-00 2 70 ctw Elongated Oval Moissanite Heart Diamonds Engagement...png

I think pink and lavender could be a really pretty combination... but lavender spinels are usually lighter toned and might look overly gray and pale next to such a vivid pink sapphire. Regardless, this vendor cuts small spinel pairs that appear precision cut (no personal experience re:mixing precision and non precision). They have no hearts but you can ask. I have not used them and keep in mind returns are in the form of store credit, not money back.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 05-46-56 Spinel.png

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a 5 min mock-up. Used the pic of the 1.37ct lavender spinel from the above link. If the sapphire leans orangey, or the spinels are light or overly gray, I don't think its the best combo. hm... just thinking out loud.
OnPaste.20220311-055825.png

Also, off topic... concerned and intrigued by this tourmaline pair they have. Huh.
Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 06-08-09 Tourmaline 5 58 CT 2.png Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 06-08-13 Tourmaline 5 58 CT 2.png

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Here is an idea if you'd want an alternative to heart shaped side stones =)2 I'm not sure if this is a different enough "vibe" than your original solitaire, but something to think about if you have trouble finding matching side stones. Screenshot_20220310-231419_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-231341_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-231341_Samsung Internet.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220310-231355_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-231355_Samsung Internet.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 6

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Here's a 5 min mock-up. Used the pic of the 1.37ct lavender spinel from the above link. If the sapphire leans orangey, or the spinels are light or overly gray, I don't think its the best combo. hm... just thinking out loud.
OnPaste.20220311-055825.png

Also, off topic... concerned and intrigued by this tourmaline pair they have. Huh.
Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 06-08-09 Tourmaline 5 58 CT 2.png Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 06-08-13 Tourmaline 5 58 CT 2.png

Thank you so much!! The first moissanite ring example you posted is super helpful too! The sapphire is very very intensely pink, no orange at all—can actually be a bit violetish in some light. The lavender heart combo looks pretty! :kiss2:

Here is an idea if you'd want an alternative to heart shaped side stones =)2 I'm not sure if this is a different enough "vibe" than your original solitaire, but something to think about if you have trouble finding matching side stones. Screenshot_20220310-231419_Samsung Internet.jpg

Oooh thank you for this! I hadn't thought about this kind of setting! :mrgreen2:

IMG_3413.jpg

I knew @demantoidz (you're amazing, BTW) would have some great input for you, and there are lots of other helpful suggestions here too. I have nothing creative to offer, unfortunately, but I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm terribly sorry you've had an upsetting event. I hope things are looking up for you now. Reset that beautiful sapphire and don't look back!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I knew @demantoidz (you're amazing, BTW) would have some great input for you, and there are lots of other helpful suggestions here too. I have nothing creative to offer, unfortunately, but I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm terribly sorry you've had an upsetting event. I hope things are looking up for you now. Reset that beautiful sapphire and don't look back!

Thank you so much! Not yet out of the woods, unfortunately, but I am hoping and praying everything is finally settled by next Monday... otherwise, it's going to be a long long long battle ahead of me... I can't even speak about it anymore online because there is litigation involved. :(2

This gorgeous sapphire deserves better!! :lol:

Thank you so much! Not yet out of the woods, unfortunately, but I am hoping and praying everything is finally settled by next Monday... otherwise, it's going to be a long long long battle ahead of me... I can't even speak about it anymore online because there is litigation involved. :(2

This gorgeous sapphire deserves better!! :lol:

It does! And so do you... good luck!!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I told my bf that I'd really like heart side stones for the redesign and he suggested white heart side stones (so likely moissanite) as he liked the contrast between the vibrant pink and the bright white:

Capture d’écran 2022-03-11 à 18.03.36.png

I like it! I did originally lean towards pink side stones (not obvious that it's my favourite colour, is it? haha) but I totally understand what my bf means. Plus we're keeping the rose gold metal so it would be too much pink, even for me. :lol-2:

What kind of gallery details/head setting and proportions of the heart side stones would look best? :think:

Also (and don't tell him!) but he was right—this is cheering me up :lol-2:

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I told my bf that I'd really like heart side stones for the redesign and he suggested white heart side stones (so likely moissanite) as he liked the contrast between the vibrant pink and the bright white:

Capture d’écran 2022-03-11 à 18.03.36.png

I like it! I did originally lean towards pink side stones (not obvious that it's my favourite colour, is it? haha) but I totally understand what my bf means. Plus we're keeping the rose gold metal so it would be too much pink, even for me. :lol-2:

What kind of gallery details/head setting and proportions of the heart side stones would look best? :think:

Also (and don't tell him!) but he was right—this is cheering me up :lol-2:

Colorless is a great choice. Are you sure you're ok with moissanite because you mentioned you didn't want it before. Colorless zircon is an option for something natural and inexpensive but softer.
As for proportions, you can go into word and insert an oval shape, format it to the exact dimensions of the center stone, add two hearts to the sides. You can then size them up or down to get a visualization of different mm sizes. Though that shows them flat, in the ring itself they will probably lean downwards a little.

Last edited:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Colorless is a great choice. Are you sure you're ok with moissanite because you mentioned you didn't want it before. Colorless zircon is an option for something natural and inexpensive but softer.
As for proportions, you can go into word and insert an oval shape, format it to the exact dimensions of the center stone, add two hearts to the sides. You can then size them up or down to get a visualization of different mm sizes. Though that shows them flat, in the ring itself they will probably lean downwards a little.
I didn't want white moissanites at first only because they looked like diamonds and I was wary of what my bf would've thought (he doesn't want to give me any diamonds until the ER haha) but I was pleasantly surprised that the suggestion came from him! So, win-win, I believe :D

Oooh thank you for that tip! I'll definitely do that! Perfect for non-techies like me :lol:

You're heaven-sent, @demantoidz :love:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Apparently I spoke too soon about the metal too... now we're considering white gold instead of our classic rose gold (all the jewellery my bf has gifted me was rose gold) :lol-2: wowee. We are really staying far away from the original design. Running away from it. Getting on a Boeing 707 away from it. :lol-2:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't want white moissanites at first only because they looked like diamonds and I was wary of what my bf would've thought (he doesn't want to give me any diamonds until the ER haha) but I was pleasantly surprised that the suggestion came from him! So, win-win, I believe :D

Oooh thank you for that tip! I'll definitely do that! Perfect for non-techies like me :lol:

You're heaven-sent, @demantoidz :love:
I understand now about the moissanite.
Far from heaven sent, if it wasn't for the veterans of this forum, the moderators and owners for keeping it alive and healthy, l would be clueless. Please direct all praise to them. Unless it's specifically about the Word trick ;-)

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently I spoke too soon about the metal too... now we're considering white gold instead of our classic rose gold (all the jewellery my bf has gifted me was rose gold) :lol-2: wowee. We are really staying far away from the original design. Running away from it. Getting on a Boeing 707 away from it. :lol-2:

You know, reading about the rose gold above, I was gonna suggest going for white gold or even platinum, if your budget can allow it. It's a sure way to get a very different look. And in any case, if that's what's necessary to take your mind off the negative things and add some much needed happy feelings, then why not. Sprint away from the old design to your heart's content.

I think heart side stones would look lovely. The size you decide to go for is entirely up to preference. And if you're not exactly techie, you can always go for the conventional way of "let's cut some paper into tiny hearts" (in addition to the much easier, at least imo, word method). This might also prove helpful in giving you an idea of how much finger coverage you get with the different sizes.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you are deciding on white gold. I think that will look much better than rose gold with the design you're considering

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I understand now about the moissanite.
Far from heaven sent, if it wasn't for the veterans of this forum, the moderators and owners for keeping it alive and healthy, l would be clueless. Please direct all praise to them. Unless it's specifically about the Word trick ;-)
PriceScope is one of the best things about the internet today! :D A wealth of information, dedicated mods, and incredible people just happily sharing knowledge. :kiss2:

I'm glad you are deciding on white gold. I think that will look much better than rose gold with the design you're considering
Thank you! My bf suggested it too (another surprise :lol: ). I looked at some photos of pink centre-white side stone rings in both white and rose gold and felt that the white gold looked much classier than the rose gold ones!

You know, reading about the rose gold above, I was gonna suggest going for white gold or even platinum, if your budget can allow it. It's a sure way to get a very different look. And in any case, if that's what's necessary to take your mind off the negative things and add some much needed happy feelings, then why not. Sprint away from the old design to your heart's content.

I think heart side stones would look lovely. The size you decide to go for is entirely up to preference. And if you're not exactly techie, you can always go for the conventional way of "let's cut some paper into tiny hearts" (in addition to the much easier, at least imo, word method). This might also prove helpful in giving you an idea of how much finger coverage you get with the different sizes.
White gold is hardly ever my first choice for jewellery (rose/yellow > white) but I think this design really merits it! Apart than the fact that we just want to change everything entirely, I think it would just look classier and more put-together in white than rose. :D

Thank you! I was worried the hearts would be infantile for some but I think they're really sweet, and it's grown on me in such a short amount of time.
I thought there needed to be some ratio or perfect combination of measurements to make it look right, so I'm glad to hear that's not the case :lol: The Word tip is definitely a lot easier—I can handle Word and Google Slides, but Photoshop and all that are wayyy beyond me. :lol:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for white gold or platinum!=)2

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for what you have encountered. Have fun on the new creation!^^

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results