shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Rescue Compression Device to remove ring - Anyone tried it?

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried soaking your finger in warm salt water? Osmosis will pull water out of your finger if the salt content is higher in the soak water than in your body.

Thanks for the recommendation. I did read that epson salt reduced swelling but did not realize regular salt would. I'll try it.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I have a method, because my knuckles are slightly larger than my fingers and I sometimes do stupid things like try smaller rings on larger fingers.

The method is this: use some sort of lube/soap, then push from underneath, press the ring really hard against the underside of the finger and then wiggle in a motion left right but slighly on a diagonal if you get what I mean and keep advacing while doing this. If you press really hard underneath and get over some pain, it will eventually pass the knuckle.

Cool your finger down in cool water/some ice or raise your hand above your head to drain the blood out before attempting this, it will shrink and not be swollen.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I've aggravated my finger from trying so many techniques yesterday so I am letting it rest for a bit with. Although, I slept with a bandage on as a light compress and I'll ice frequently today. I'm hoping the bandage and icing will help and I will try your method in a day or two.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So you’re getting a new setting anyways, this ring has been on for 2 straight years, and youve already tried quite a long list of remedies to get it off?

Just cut it off. No point in damaging nerves or harming yourself for a setting that is already getting replaced. I’m sure the skin / finger is quite inflamed at this point and it doesn’t look like any alternative is going to do anything but cause self harm

There’s no undoing what’s done, but this can easily be avoided again. Make sure you don’t go so long without taking your ring off. I take off / clean my rings a few times a week, I always take them off if I’m feeling especially swollen. Happens to most of us! This is going to sound harsh, but especially with pave, its honestly just not hygienic to not take off and clean rings. It can cause contact dermatitis, gunk builds up in the pave, the diamonds won’t sparkly nearly as muchC etc. many merits to deep cleaning your rings, one of which is to make sure you can still take it off!

Another thing to consider, with all of the wear and tear that’s likely happened with your setting, it’s also hard to know what shape the setting is in anyways. Pave is delicate, and if you wear your ring during heavy-handed activities, especially doing things like going to the gym, gardening, etc…these can all damage the delicate little prongs holding melee

Cut your losses (pun intended) and take this as an expensive lesson learned. Best of luck

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean Thank you for all the advice. I won't take it so far as to harm my finger but I will wait another week, likely try the Ring Rescue, then cut it off if needed. If anything, eating healthy for the next week will be to my benefit.

I'm confident I'll continue to wear my new ring 24/7. It's just in my nature. I'll take better notice to my finger size and have it resized as needed. The new ring will be a larger size and a design that can be sized pretty easy.

Even with wearing my ring all the time and my previous e-rings, they remain sparkly because I brush them daily.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Let us know if it works. I pulled a ring off my finger a couple of days ago and now it’s very swollen. My setting is also coming soon so I’m feeling the pressure to get the swelling down.

@MamaBee I just read your post about your finger. Oh my gosh, you poor thing. I haven't aggravated mine that much. Only a little puffy and pink for a short period. I iced it or ran it under cold water after each attempt to remove the ring. I can still spin my ring on my finger so it is not cutting off any circulation.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Try warming the ring (just the ring) after first chilling your hand. Heat will make the ring expand a bit, maybe just enough. I'd try wrapping a wet paper towel around the ring, wetting the paper towel with hot water (but not hot enough to scald you, of course), avoiding getting the finger wet. Repeat until the ring is warm.

Also, do it at a time of day when your hands are naturally less puffy. (My hands tend to be puffy early in the morning after I wake up.)

I use this hot water trick when I can't get a jar open-- I run hot water over the sides of the lid. The lid expands just a bit and then I can get it open.
Thank you for the recommendation. I'm not sure I'm that coordinated but I'll give it a try on one of my daily attempts.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee I just read your post about your finger. Oh my gosh, you poor thing. I haven't aggravated mine that much. Only a little puffy and pink for a short period. I iced it or ran it under cold water after each attempt to remove the ring. I can still spin my ring on my finger so it is not cutting off any circulation.

@donnabrsd My finger has been through years of abuse from trying to get rings off because of my knuckles. Mine also spins when it sits where it’s supposed to be. It’s just getting over that darn knuckle. I take my rings off a few times a day when cooking etc. I change my rings every couple of days. That’s a lot of abuse.
I’m happy your finger is not hurting you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donna have you tried going for a super long walk or hike. Something that makes you sweat, a lot. Don’t let yourself get too dehydrated but when I do my long runs that take longer than an hour I sweat a lot, I lose 2-3 pounds just in water weight. My rungs get really lose, I lose at least half a size. If you don’t run, try hiking or walking 1-2 hour at least. Make sure you’re sweating a lot. Just an idea. Hope something works.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Donna have you tried going for a super long walk or hike. Something that makes you sweat, a lot. Don’t let yourself get too dehydrated but when I do my long runs that take longer than an hour I sweat a lot, I lose 2-3 pounds just in water weight. My rungs get really lose, I lose at least half a size. If you don’t run, try hiking or walking 1-2 hour at least. Make sure you’re sweating a lot. Just an idea. Hope something works.

I'm up for trying anything that won't cause me harm. I do take a short/slow morning walk with my dog. I'm sure she'd be up for a longer jog/walk during the day when it is a little warmer to promote sweating. Thanks for the idea. Maybe this thread will be my jump start to being more active and eating healthier.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I've inadvertently learned that the best thing for loosening rings is hair conditioner on dry hands. If you haven't already, give it a try. Best of luck to you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm up for trying anything that won't cause me harm. I do take a short/slow morning walk with my dog. I'm sure she'd be up for a longer jog/walk during the day when it is a little warmer to promote sweating. Thanks for the idea. Maybe this thread will be my jump start to being more active and eating healthier.

Another way to be pouring sweat is Bikram yoga. Water loss 2-3 pounds easily. But when I say sweat I mean shirt soaked, like hot flashes for 1-2 hours. Dripping from you for a long time. People be like “did you just shower?” Good luck!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Can we see a pic of the ring on your finger, from different angles? Up to you of course but seeing what you're dealing with might help us figure out the best way to proceed.

Otherwise, I'd probably make an appointment to get the ring cut off for a week from today. Then try whatever you can think of for that time but go get the ring removed if it's still on your finger when your appointment time comes around. Good luck!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
An ex-firefighter just weighed in on this here. He said they cut rings off all the time at the fire station and it doesn't hurt so you might want to stop by your local fire station. Two years is a long time. Not to sound horrible but you could lose your finger if this keeps up so I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice the ring setting.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I've inadvertently learned that the best thing for loosening rings is hair conditioner on dry hands. If you haven't already, give it a try. Best of luck to you!

I just tried the conditioner just to get a feel of how slippery it gets. Actually what has worked best so far is 1/2 car soap and 1/2 water in a bowl with a few ice cubes.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see a pic of the ring on your finger, from different angles? Up to you of course but seeing what you're dealing with might help us figure out the best way to proceed.

Otherwise, I'd probably make an appointment to get the ring cut off for a week from today. Then try whatever you can think of for that time but go get the ring removed if it's still on your finger when your appointment time comes around. Good luck!
I'll try to post photos later. I wasn't really looking for advise on getting it off but I'm happy to receive the wealth of knowledge as there are many recommendations that I had not thought of.

I actually did just as you recommended. I planning on giving myself the week to reduce water/bloat and try aggressively to remove the ring on my own. If it did not work then I would decide on the Ring Rescue with cutting being the third option.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
Since you're talking about using cold and possibly compression for your finger, I wanted to mention the Dr. Cool Wrap. The smallest size may still be too big for a finger, but I think you could cut a piece of it if necessary.

I have a couple (keep them in my freezer) and have used them for various running pains on ankles and knees. They're pretty handy and do a decent job of icing an area as well as providing light compression (you control how tightly you wrap it).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I hope you are able to get it off soon. It sounds painful. :(

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
An ex-firefighter just weighed in on this here. He said they cut rings off all the time at the fire station and it doesn't hurt so you might want to stop by your local fire station. Two years is a long time. Not to sound horrible but you could lose your finger if this keeps up so I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice the ring setting.

Just to be clear, the reason it has not been off in two years is because I have not tried to remove it in that long. I cannot recall exactly why I removed it two years ago. I think I was planning a reset, but decided to wait and so I put it back on. It did require windex and a bit of wiggling but it came off and went back on easily.

I'm not so worried about my current ring. Of course I would like to keep it intact but if I need to cut it off to progress with my new ring, I will.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Since you're talking about using cold and possibly compression for your finger, I wanted to mention the Dr. Cool Wrap. The smallest size may still be too big for a finger, but I think you could cut a piece of it if necessary.

I have a couple (keep them in my freezer) and have used them for various running pains on ankles and knees. They're pretty handy and do a decent job of icing an area as well as providing light compression (you control how tightly you wrap it).

Thank you for the recommendation.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I just skimmed a lot of the posts since there are so many of them but I'm so glad to hear the situation is not as dire as I thought. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried standing in the beer fridge at your local bottle shop ?
I love those places in the summer
If you lived here I'd invite you to hang out in our walk in chiller at work for a few hours
in the summer i want to move my bed in there

Im also a fan of frozen peas - the peas mould to the body part

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried standing in the beer fridge at your local bottle shop ?
I love those places in the summer
If you lived here I'd invite you to hang out in our walk in chiller at work for a few hours
in the summer i want to move my bed in there

Im also a fan of frozen peas - the peas mould to the body part

What a great idea. When I'm ready to really try, I can go to my son's business and hang out in his walk-in fridge first.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I recommend is icing your knuckle and then manually compressing it. Repeatedly. Vaseline is the best for lubrication

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up getting my ring cut off at the fire station this evening. Ring on my finger yesterday and a few hours after removal. They tried the elastic from a face mask first and it did not work. tempImage3QoNDz.png

Attachments

• tempImagei81K2a.png
    tempImagei81K2a.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 105

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it came down to having to have it cut off but I think you had tried just about everything. I remember your ring; it really is a beautiful ring! Can't wait to see your new reset and hope you can use this setting for a colored stone or something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results