shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Purchase Advice Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jwinters

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I recently started looking around for an engagement ring and just starting to learn about a lot of this. I''m willing to spend around $16k and have the following specs in mind:
Cut: Round Ideal (Is this worth the premium?)
Color: G or Better
Clarity: VS2 or better
Carat: 1.8-ish (would love to get to 2 but don''t think I can do it at the quality levels I want)

Have I chosen a good mix of the 4 C''s? Can I get what I want (or better) in my price range? I have decided to go the online route, but since I''m in NY I''d like an out of state vendor...any recommendations? How does bluenile rate?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-John

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Try WhiteFlash first. Or Good Old Gold...but they're on Long Island...

1.gif

jwinters

Rough_Rock
Thanks...I'll check those out. If I want to get to 2 carats in the $16k-$18k range, which would be better...reduce color to H or reduce clarity to SI1?

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried the diamond search at the homepage? You can enter your carat range 1.8-2.0 and color and clarity (as well as other specs for an ideal cut) and get a list of online dealer associated with pricescope that carry those stones. Some 2.0 G SI1 were in the 11,000-13,000 range. Check it out!

Colleen

jwinters

Rough_Rock
I found the following on Whiteflash:

Price: $12,937.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 2.08
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 62.1
Table: 57
Girdle: TN-
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint

What do you think? Should I be concerned with the EGL report?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash also has a

2.06 G SI1 GIA cert

BlueNile is considered to be a bit more expensive than some other online vendors, but they are a big outfit with a good reputation, so you would expect that. I found the following on their site:

1.70 G VS2 AGS0

Some other finds:
1.80 F VS2 (AGS0?)
1.71 F VS2 SuperbCert

1.91 G VS2 more $ but not in NY state
If you can spring the extra $ this look like a great stone for what you're lookig for!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenixgirl, I hope that is a typo by the vendor on the crown angle on the last choice (35.5 instead of 34.5). Jwinters, you may want to verify that.
10.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you look at the AGS cert, you'll see it's not a typo. Actually, as it is, that stone scores a 0.5 on the HCA, within TIC (Tolkowsky ideal cut) range. Although usually you look for crown angles in the 34 degree area, this must be an instance of it perfectly complementing the pavilion angle, at least on paper. The picture of the diamond magnified looks good too.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Another Blue Nile stone

1.74 G VS2
They call the cut "very good," but it scores a 0.8 on the HCA and will look bigger than the average 1.74 carat stone. It is also an AGS0.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Cut, cut, cut! The best cut makes all the difference. It is definitely worth it. Also allows more flexiblity in color and clarity.

jwinters

Rough_Rock
OK, I've decided that I want the best 2-carat ideal-cut stone I can buy for less than $16k. It seems like I'll have to go with either a G-SI1 or an H-VS2. Are either of these riskier options for a stone of this size? Is the 2.06 G SI-1 listed above a good pick? http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-12321720#

It does seem like sites like Whiteflash are more competitive on price than Bluenile, especially with the Pricescope discount. Thanks again!

-John

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You can email WhiteFlash and ask. They have the stone in-house since it's one of their expert selection. If it's eye-clean, I'd rather have a G SI1 than an H VS2. I also would only compare apples with apples . . . GIA or AGS certed stones. If it's between a GIA certed G SI1 and EGL certed H VS2, it's no contest . . . I'd go with the GIA cert.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,
I would recommend staying withing these criterias:
d=59-61%
t=53-57%
girdle=thin-med-sltk faceted
culet=none
polish=vg-ex
symm=vg=ex
flour.=none-faint
No crown angles greater than 35% or less than 30%
diameter of a 2 carat should be 8.2MM.
1.80ish should be around 8.0MM.

Stick to these numbers and you should do ok.Shop a few vendors on the the internet and see who gives you the best deal out there for the same/similar stones.

jwinters

Rough_Rock
I'm going to personally check out the two stones below tomorrow:

2.00 AGS RD G SI1 $16264 62.1 57 8.07x8.02x4.99
ID ID

2.04 AGS RD G SI1 $16240 60.8 56 8.22x8.25x5.01 None ID ID AGS0-H&A

Looks to me like the second one is a better deal, but I can't wait to see them for myself! Any opinions?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, on paper #2 looks much better -- it will look bigger, and it's an AGS0 H&A. Of course, there's nothing like seeing them with your own eyes for making the final decision. Good luck!
1.gif

sugarrae

Rough_Rock
Hi I just purchased an engagment ring from Abazias on line and was very impressed. They are very helpful and will help you find exactly what you are looking for in your price range. i had them custum make my setting and they helped me find the centre stone I was looking for at a great price. i searched many online sites including bluenile and none of the prices came close to abazias. I recommend checking out there website. www.abazias.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
jwinters...who is the vendor for those two stones you are going to see?

good luck tomorrow...let us know how things turn out.

btw my two cents...I love G SI1...it helps you maximize the bang for the buck. I would even go H SI if I had to in order to keep SIZE...but then again I'm a size gal.
2.gif

jwinters

Rough_Rock
USA Certed Diamonds set me up with two appointments in NYC...works out well because I can actually see the stones, but then purchase them from a non-local vendor!

jwinters

Rough_Rock
So I checked out the two stones, and as expected the second one was WORLDS nicer...not just in terms of cut, but the inclusions were much harder to find... so here's the specs:

2.04 carats
AGS
Round
G Color
SI-1 Clarity (Eye-Clean)
60.8 Depth
56 Table
34.9 Crown
40.5 Pavilion
Girdle 1.0 - 1.3 Faceted (is this thin?)
8.22x8.25x5.01
ID Polish
ID Symmetry
No Flurorescence
AGS0-H&A

Pricescope price is $15,700...what do you guys think? It scored 0.4 on the Cut Advisor...that's not TOO low is it?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds really nice. The HCA is a bit low and some would say that it's loosing a bit of contrast, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. What's really important is that you liked the stone during visual observation and that the inclusions were hard to find. And yes, compared to the 2.00, this 2.04 seems to be a better deal. I think you've found a real winner!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds lovely. The crown angle is a tiny bit steep but the pav angle compensates by being slightly more shallow. You may have slightly reduced contrast in the stone because the HCA score is so low, but that is really a personal thing as well, so no one person can say yay or nay about it but you.
2.gif
If the stone looks great to you and you love it, the price is good so I would make it yours! Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The diamond sounds great. And you liked it. USA Certed is very reputable.
16.gif

Congrats on a great find!
1.gif

jwinters

Rough_Rock
Looks like the final price is $15,600...any comments on the value here before I take the plunge?
loopy.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
yes....congrats...and post pics!!!!
1.gif
naughty.gif
rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results