clarity

Ring prefs 2012!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1334792935|3174640 said:
audball|1334775441|3174425 said:
madelise|1334772138|3174363 said:
That sounds awful. Jewelers need to never write down "CTW" anywhere. They need to write, x ct, x ct, x ct for the APPEARANCE of a x ct. People that buy into those rings don't know any better and just think of their CTW and think "WOW! THATS HUGE!". And those viewers don't know any better, either, as all they see is "finger coverage" and "lots of diamonds" so they think it must be SOOO expensive. It's okay. We're all allowed to continue fake gushing at "gorgeous" rings IRL for the sake of our buddies and come on PS and vomit what we were forced to keep in ;-)

UMMM that ring is god awful. My friend tried on a similar ring at that maul store but 4 little stones. I think its tacky!! WTF lol, i'd rather have 1/4 carat solitaire...or nice pave band than THAT monstrosity!!! :o

(what has pricescope done to me..?? lol)
:wavey: congrats,your now an officially certified "diamond snob"... :lol: :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1335059256|3177515 said:
That sounds awful. Jewelers need to never write down "CTW" anywhere. They need to write, x ct, x ct, x ct for the APPEARANCE of a x ct. People that buy into those rings don't know any better and just think of their CTW and think "WOW! THATS HUGE!". And those viewers don't know any better, either, as all they see is "finger coverage" and "lots of diamonds" so they think it must be SOOO expensive. It's okay. We're all allowed to continue fake gushing at "gorgeous" rings IRL for the sake of our buddies and come on PS and vomit what we were forced to keep in ;-)

UMMM that ring is god awful. My friend tried on a similar ring at that maul store but 4 little stones. I think its tacky!! WTF lol, i'd rather have 1/4 carat solitaire...or nice pave band than THAT monstrosity!!! :o

:wavey: congrats,your now an officially certified "diamond snob"... :lol: :appl:

I think even without PS, I could have been a diamond snob hehehe. But this doesn't help the matter!! ;)) Luckily in all my friends on FB I have only seen one that I thought was absolutely hideous. Most of the others have been pretty classy so I'm happy for them :bigsmile:

On an unrelated note, I find myself a little crazy in that (like some of the girls have said here) I don't like princess cuts but when it comes to cushions I really prefer the perfectly square ratio ones, not the long???? I feel like it's justified because the cuts are SO different but then I guess you could have a H&A style princess (and compare that to a H&A style cushion from GOG or I think ERD "A Cut Above" is their equivalent), but idk it just still seems way too different for me. Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from? Or am I truly crazy in this sense :knockout:

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1335635354|3182959 said:
I think even without PS, I could have been a diamond snob hehehe. But this doesn't help the matter!! ;)) Luckily in all my friends on FB I have only seen one that I thought was absolutely hideous. Most of the others have been pretty classy so I'm happy for them :bigsmile:
I think if you are a true PSer, the inner diamond snob is always there just waiting to be released!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1335059256|3177515 said:

Lol, what's DF doing in LIW?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1335635354|3182959 said:
On an unrelated note, I find myself a little crazy in that (like some of the girls have said here) I don't like princess cuts but when it comes to cushions I really prefer the perfectly square ratio ones, not the long???? I feel like it's justified because the cuts are SO different but then I guess you could have a H&A style princess (and compare that to a H&A style cushion from GOG or I think ERD "A Cut Above" is their equivalent), but idk it just still seems way too different for me. Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from? Or am I truly crazy in this sense :knockout:

I HATE PRINCESS CUTS. It has nothing to do with it being square. I like emeralds, cushions, asschers.. even radiants. I just hate princess cuts. They're COMPLETELY different. You're not crazy. Or if you are, so am I. I hate the pattern. I hate how everything is "splintery" looking. And I hate how so many people own princess cuts! It's like ALL THE RAGE or something! When I heard princess cuts accounts for the 2nd most popular choice in cut, I seriously think I made a "WTF" face. I don't think I'll ever like princess cuts.. whereas I go through phases of being impartial and then being in love with all the other cuts.. like, every other cut. Even marquises and hearts.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
You know, i've always wanted a princess cut until i saw them in person! They look horrible in the corners, and overall it's just not a pretty stone to look at. It's mehhhh.

But i love the look of the square-ish...so i am more drawn to cushions that look square too...hence why i;m now on the Quadex train. I figure you can't go wrong with a H&A Square!

I pretty much like everything thats super sparkly haha :naughty: But PS is definitely turning me into some sort of diamond beast haha! It's giving me exquisite taste. This could be a good thing or a bad thing...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1335636471|3182968 said:
I think if you are a true PSer, the inner diamond snob is always there just waiting to be released!
hehe I'm glad I now know that it was always meant to be that I finally join the community here... :D

madelise|1335639579|3183019 said:
I HATE PRINCESS CUTS. It has nothing to do with it being square. I like emeralds, cushions, asschers.. even radiants. I just hate princess cuts. They're COMPLETELY different. You're not crazy. Or if you are, so am I. I hate the pattern. I hate how everything is "splintery" looking. And I hate how so many people own princess cuts! It's like ALL THE RAGE or something! When I heard princess cuts accounts for the 2nd most popular choice in cut, I seriously think I made a "WTF" face. I don't think I'll ever like princess cuts.. whereas I go through phases of being impartial and then being in love with all the other cuts.. like, every other cut. Even marquises and hearts.
hahah okay good!!!! I'm glad I'm not alone. I agree with the whole splintery look. It just doesn't do it at all for me!!

redsoxgrl|1335640055|3183026 said:
You know, i've always wanted a princess cut until i saw them in person! They look horrible in the corners, and overall it's just not a pretty stone to look at. It's mehhhh.

But i love the look of the square-ish...so i am more drawn to cushions that look square too...hence why i;m now on the Quadex train. I figure you can't go wrong with a H&A Square!

I pretty much like everything thats super sparkly haha :naughty: But PS is definitely turning me into some sort of diamond beast haha! It's giving me exquisite taste. This could be a good thing or a bad thing...
yay!! Forgive me for asking, but what's the Quadex? and don't you ever apologize for having good taste!!!! It's definitely a good thing!!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1335643198|3183060 said:
audball|1335636471|3182968 said:
yay!! Forgive me for asking, but what's the Quadex? and don't you ever apologize for having good taste!!!! It's definitely a good thing!!!
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-quadex/

It's BGD's version of a square h&a! :) I just discovered it myself last weekend after finally pulling my head out of my you-know-what! I was stuck on T&Co for all the wrong reasons. That stone makes me DROOL! :love:

audball

Ideal_Rock

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ayeeeeeee. I see!!! I like it a lot. I wish it was just slightly more curved edges like a cushion, but you can't beat the performance on that cut!! The funky edges are kinda negated too by the setting. and yes, the GOG that audball posted would be perfect as well if you love the shape of the Quadex!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1335654583|3183174 said:
ayeeeeeee. I see!!! I like it a lot. I wish it was just slightly more curved edges like a cushion, but you can't beat the performance on that cut!! The funky edges are kinda negated too by the setting. and yes, the GOG that audball posted would be perfect as well if you love the shape of the Quadex!!
The POH from GOG is quite similar to the Quadex at BGD.

tanicha

Rough_Rock
Wow, you guys are really hating on the princess cut. That's what my FI gave me (and yes, it was on a list of ring styles I gave him just to be sure he knew what I liked).

I love it because it's a little different, but sparkles a lot -- at least mine does. And it lends itself to clean, modern looking rings.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
tanicha|1335708662|3183415 said:
Wow, you guys are really hating on the princess cut. That's what my FI gave me (and yes, it was on a list of ring styles I gave him just to be sure he knew what I liked).

I love it because it's a little different, but sparkles a lot -- at least mine does. And it lends itself to clean, modern looking rings.

sorry girl. Don't mean to be hating on anyone in particular, especially for their taste (one of my close friends love the princess cut, but I feel that it suits her quite well). It just isn't the shape for many of us. Nothing personal!! ::)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1335652887|3183146 said:
rsg! Saw this on FB and thought of you. Good Old Gold is doing a one time special on a 1.7ct princess of hearts! Just over 12k...it's gorgeous!!! :) :) :)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9388

Oh em gee. I saw that on fb too...i ran around looking for the 13k i have in a box somewhere and i can't find it! :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The very original post asked for what you dislike. This thread is to share what you like, and what you dislike. I dislike princess cuts. I'm sure you dislike other cuts (marquise maybe? that's unpopular nowadays). I'm glad you like yours.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1335748890|3183684 said:
rsg! Saw this on FB and thought of you. Good Old Gold is doing a one time special on a 1.7ct princess of hearts! Just over 12k...it's gorgeous!!! :) :) :)

Oh em gee. I saw that on fb too...i ran around looking for the 13k i have in a box somewhere and i can't find it! :lol:

FUNNY. I just logged onto GOG's FB this morning and saw that link! And I couldn't remember who it was that liked POHs. I was thinking of RSG! I ran off and minded my own world of duties today, and I'm SO GLAD you posted this for her.

RSG where's your magic 13k box!! I'll help you look for it!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I dislike Princess Cuts too! I don't like the splintery sparkles in it or the sharp corners. I much prefer rounds (with short LGF's) or cushions. Actually, I like almost all shapes except for a princess cut. It just doesn't do it for me. But I do like the POH and BGD's Quadex.

audball is right too. Even before PS, I was somewhat of a diamond snob. I have always hated 10 diamonds pushed together to make it look like one big diamond. And I have always been a sucker for a well made setting. Some rings I have seen just look cheap. I don't mean that to be mean, it's just that you can tell the quality of the setting is cheaply made.

My preferences for a ring have stayed about the same since the last thread:

Around 3/4-1 carat Ideal cut RB in a solitaire. The setting will really depend on our diamond choice. I would rather have a temp setting for a few years and a bigger diamond. I love the WF Legato and Sierra and the BGD Eternal Grace. I tend to prefer cathedral and tapering shanks with interesting profiles. And BF and I plan to shop for the ring together.

audball

Ideal_Rock

tanicha -- nobody meant to offend you. There are plenty of people on these boards that don't PERSONALLY like any given shape. Princess happens to be one I don't care for, and apparently some others here feel the same. There are plenty of people who don't like rounds (what I have chosen) or cushions, or asschers, etc etc.

This thread is about what you like AND don't like. It was not meant for anyone to take offense at your own personal choice. Sorry if you felt that way.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Hahah! I didn't know what your budget was, but I was guessing if you were going for a 1ct at T&Co that it had to be in that ballpark! Sorry if I overstepped...it's just WAAAAY bigger than you were planning for what I guessed to be a similar cost.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1335793539|3183944 said:
I dislike Princess Cuts too! I don't like the splintery sparkles in it or the sharp corners. I much prefer rounds (with short LGF's) or cushions. Actually, I like almost all shapes except for a princess cut. It just doesn't do it for me. But I do like the POH and BGD's Quadex.

audball is right too. Even before PS, I was somewhat of a diamond snob. I have always hated 10 diamonds pushed together to make it look like one big diamond. And I have always been a sucker for a well made setting. Some rings I have seen just look cheap. I don't mean that to be mean, it's just that you can tell the quality of the setting is cheaply made.

My preferences for a ring have stayed about the same since the last thread:

Around 3/4-1 carat Ideal cut RB in a solitaire. The setting will really depend on our diamond choice. I would rather have a temp setting for a few years and a bigger diamond. I love the WF Legato and Sierra and the BGD Eternal Grace. I tend to prefer cathedral and tapering shanks with interesting profiles. And BF and I plan to shop for the ring together.
I don't know WHAT is with that style of smooshing tiny poorly cut crap diamonds together to make it big. It looks gaudy as hell. But if you look at Helzberg, Kay, Zales, etc. almost ALL their styles are like that right now! :nono:

You ring choice sounds lovely MF! Setting will be easier with the same vendor, so like you said, make sense to wait and see which vendor you buy a stone from.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1335795372|3183964 said:

Hahah! I didn't know what your budget was, but I was guessing if you were going for a 1ct at T&Co that it had to be in that ballpark! Sorry if I overstepped...it's just WAAAAY bigger than you were planning for what I guessed to be a similar cost.

and RSG we will ALL help you find your box of 13k if it means a fellow PSer gets that beautiful stone!!! it looks like a great deal and it has an amazing sparkle.

and I have a confession...some nights I can't sleep (although I think last night it was that I had caffeine too late in the day while trying to study...my old age getting to me because I used to be able to drink coffee at dinner time or later and no problem) and I just lie in bed thinking about rings and what I want even though it's so far in the future. and I'm always talking about it with a couple of my coworkers and everytime a customer comes in with a gorgeous ring we gossip and gawk over it. I feel like I have a problem but I'm just SO attracted to shiny things and ahhh I can't stop thinking about it!!! is this super irrational? :rolleyes: :errrr:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Pandabee: I stare at everyone's jewelry all the time. It doesn't seem healthy, but I just love gems! I've got my sapphire now and I keep taking it out in it's little gem box and keeping it near me like a blank-y... It NEEDS to be next week so I can ship it away!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

AHHH yes our budget was right around there...But i'm lowering budget. These next two years are going to be a little tough, with me in school and working less than my current full time job...we don't know month to month how much i will be contributing towards bills! I am still looking for .90-1ct range, but even going with BGD and Novella setting in platinum its def going to be a LOT cheaper than T&Co. I would love that big ole 1.7 honker on my finger, but i actually am trying to save us money in the long run, although i do not know what i'll come up with when the time is right. I have emailed/provided all the info for the SO to make an educated decision with links to the stones on GOG and BGD. He's really antsy on not seeing the diamond in person though. I told him they provide all the tools for you to make an educated decision, you just need to know how to use them lol. So since GOG is in NY for all i know he might opt to go and "pick out a stone" then send it to BGD? Dunno.

Originally we were going to get engaged next summer-ish. But now he has strict rules that he is not allowed to propose until i'm done school...which is in 2 years...I just don't want any distractions! I would realistically love to be married by the time i'm 30 - (2 years) But i am really trying to get every other part of my life settled so that we can have a really good foundation for our future. Part of me wants everything now, now, now - but the planner part of me really wants everything else to fall into place. He's not going anywhere, we have a great relationship and i know i will enjoy everything more if i'm not being pulled in 50 other directions.

And i am not so much as a ring looker unless it is VERY sparkly. My SO is really bad. He said now all he does is look at peoples rings and asked what i have done to him. LOL :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee -- that is SOOO funny about the ring dreams. Awesome. I know..l've been there ;-)

maebelle -- I totally know what you mean. Having the unset stone was sooo hard. I was relieved/excited/nervous/anxious the day we sent it out to be set!! I hope this week goes quickly for you!

rsg -- I totally get the smaller budget! Way to go thinking about the future and being conservative. That stone IS delicious though... :lickout:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1335798271|3183999 said:

and RSG we will ALL help you find your box of 13k if it means a fellow PSer gets that beautiful stone!!! it looks like a great deal and it has an amazing sparkle.

and I have a confession...some nights I can't sleep (although I think last night it was that I had caffeine too late in the day while trying to study...my old age getting to me because I used to be able to drink coffee at dinner time or later and no problem) and I just lie in bed thinking about rings and what I want even though it's so far in the future. and I'm always talking about it with a couple of my coworkers and everytime a customer comes in with a gorgeous ring we gossip and gawk over it. I feel like I have a problem but I'm just SO attracted to shiny things and ahhh I can't stop thinking about it!!! is this super irrational? :rolleyes: :errrr:

I do this. ALL the time. And when I can't sleep from the thoughts, I pull out my handy dandy laptop and run through PS and vendor websites until I get tired or run out of things to look at. :oops: I have to stare at everyone and anyone's rings. I just *HAVE* to. HAHA.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1335804042|3184055 said:

AHHH yes our budget was right around there...But i'm lowering budget. These next two years are going to be a little tough, with me in school and working less than my current full time job...we don't know month to month how much i will be contributing towards bills! I am still looking for .90-1ct range, but even going with BGD and Novella setting in platinum its def going to be a LOT cheaper than T&Co. I would love that big ole 1.7 honker on my finger, but i actually am trying to save us money in the long run, although i do not know what i'll come up with when the time is right. I have emailed/provided all the info for the SO to make an educated decision with links to the stones on GOG and BGD. He's really antsy on not seeing the diamond in person though. I told him they provide all the tools for you to make an educated decision, you just need to know how to use them lol. So since GOG is in NY for all i know he might opt to go and "pick out a stone" then send it to BGD? Dunno.

Originally we were going to get engaged next summer-ish. But now he has strict rules that he is not allowed to propose until i'm done school...which is in 2 years...I just don't want any distractions! I would realistically love to be married by the time i'm 30 - (2 years) But i am really trying to get every other part of my life settled so that we can have a really good foundation for our future. Part of me wants everything now, now, now - but the planner part of me really wants everything else to fall into place. He's not going anywhere, we have a great relationship and i know i will enjoy everything more if i'm not being pulled in 50 other directions.

And i am not so much as a ring looker unless it is VERY sparkly. My SO is really bad. He said now all he does is look at peoples rings and asked what i have done to him. LOL :lol:

;( I was hoping it'd be the perfect fit for you, but :appl: to you for being smart about expenses. With BGD and GOG, you can always upgrade later, when you're more settled in life :D.

As for your SO staring at others' rings.. whelp, I gotta say I'm jealous. MY DBF never looks. And if it's large enough for me to force him to look, he always says something snarky about wasting $. :roll: He doesn't get it! I wish mine were more bling obsessed ;(

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
maebelle - hahah a blankie would probably be the nice way to put it...I can't even imagine what it will be like when I finally get mine...I'll be like Gollum from Lord of the Rings and never want to let my preciousssssss out of my sight!!!!

rsg - aww too bad that you're not gonna snatch it up but very smart of you to lower the budget for now, especially if you're going to change the timeline up a bit. I'm confident that once you have everything else settled, the ring/marriage will just fall into place (this is the mantra I am trying to beat into my head for my own sake as well). lucky you that HE is always looking at bling now!!! :D

audball and madelise - thank you...I'm so glad I'm not alone (I had a feeling I wouldn't be here ::) ;)) ). I even look through my friend's fb pics that they post of their engagement ring just to have something to stare at. hahaha. oh goodness. I still feel like a nutjob though even if you gals say you are the same. I've accepted my affinity for shiny things but right now it's just SO bad. :devil:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1335815026|3184179 said:
maebelle - hahah a blankie would probably be the nice way to put it...I can't even imagine what it will be like when I finally get mine...I'll be like Gollum from Lord of the Rings and never want to let my preciousssssss out of my sight!!!!

rsg - aww too bad that you're not gonna snatch it up but very smart of you to lower the budget for now, especially if you're going to change the timeline up a bit. I'm confident that once you have everything else settled, the ring/marriage will just fall into place (this is the mantra I am trying to beat into my head for my own sake as well). lucky you that HE is always looking at bling now!!! :D

audball and madelise - thank you...I'm so glad I'm not alone (I had a feeling I wouldn't be here ::) ;)) ). I even look through my friend's fb pics that they post of their engagement ring just to have something to stare at. hahaha. oh goodness. I still feel like a nutjob though even if you gals say you are the same. I've accepted my affinity for shiny things but right now it's just SO bad. :devil:

lol, if they didn't want you to stare at their e-rings on FB, they wouldn't post it!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1335811228|3184137 said:
As for your SO staring at others' rings.. whelp, I gotta say I'm jealous. MY DBF never looks. And if it's large enough for me to force him to look, he always says something snarky about wasting $. :roll: He doesn't get it! I wish mine were more bling obsessed ;(

It's really a double edged sword...he literally will come home from work on his lunch break and tell me how this person's engagement ring is so blingy and go on for 15 mins on it and sometimes he even texts me about them! But he just enjoys "nice things"...he does the same with nice watches, cars etc...LOL. I wish he would stop looking sometimes, i have to like poke him because he will like stare at people for a minute and it creeps me out lmao! We will be driving and he slows down to look at cars as we drive by. It's not all bling and it's kinda annoying at times! :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Andrew doesn't really pay attention to other's jewelry. There have been a few things where we spot some large and he'll whisper to me asking if it's nice or just bit? Hahah.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results