shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Maintenance when buying online?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kruz

Rough_Rock
I am still new to the concept of buying a ring online. I know at B&M stores around here (Shane etc), every 6mo or so you can bring it in for inspection and general maintenance for free.

What is the recommendation when buying online for this type if thing?

I know JA has something where you can mail it in, but is there a preferred method for this? Like finding a good local Jeweler for that stuff?

Thanks for any advice. As I get closer and more serious about actually pulling the trigger these are the semi-minor things that are left as questions in my head.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 8:21:46 PM
Author:kruz
I am still new to the concept of buying a ring online. I know at B&M stores around here (Shane etc), every 6mo or so you can bring it in for inspection and general maintenance for free.

What is the recommendation when buying online for this type if thing?

I know JA has something where you can mail it in, but is there a preferred method for this? Like finding a good local Jeweler for that stuff?

Thanks for any advice. As I get closer and more serious about actually pulling the trigger these are the semi-minor things that are left as questions in my head.

Thanks ahead of time.
This is certainly the best/easiest remedy. They will clean and check prongs for free. Where you might not want to go this route, is if you have a designer setting, and more specifially, one that has an intricate design and/or pave, or other reason why you would want to keep the warranty in tact (for potential problems). If you have a designer setting and someone other than a designated retailer works on it, the warranty is voided. So just a heads up!

kruz

Rough_Rock
That is the path I was thinking of taking.

I was looking at a B&M store''s site from the Local Jewelers section of the navigation bar; and they had a video clip that seemed to "talk down" about internet purchasing. Is this a normal attitude?

Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 9:30:37 PM
Author: kruz
That is the path I was thinking of taking.

I was looking at a B&M store''s site from the Local Jewelers section of the navigation bar; and they had a video clip that seemed to ''talk down'' about internet purchasing. Is this a normal attitude?

Thanks!
Yes, with many (but not all), unfortunately.

And you''re welcome!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same concerns. It's inconvenient to have to mail in your ring for maintenance! But it's also not easy to find a local jeweler that you trust.

DoreFan

Rough_Rock
I guess i am in the same boat as several people here. I have stopped by the local "wholesaler" stores (Shane and Genesis), and rock for rock and setting for setting, I find it silly to even consider the local stores because of the savings online. Are the free cleanings and inspections worth spending up to twice as much? Personally, I think not. If repair is ever needed from either type of vendor, chances are you will be without your ring for the same amount of time. I have determined that as long as you get all the info about your stone and you ask for help from members here, you can pick an exemplary stone online having never seen the stone in person. Will it still cause nervousness? YES! But so does buying from B&M stores, IMO.

FYI, Shane will clean (steam and US) most any piece of jewelry for you after they quickly inspect it for problems. If there is a obvious problem they wont clean it, and that will be your clue to send it back for repair. Now i wouldn''t use this "quick" process as real cleanings and inspections, for those you will need to find a trusted jeweler.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pretty much any jeweler with sense will clean and inspect a piece regardless of where you bought it. For starters, this gives them the opportunity to sell repair service if needed but it also gives them the opportunity to try and sell you a pair of matching earrings or whatever while you’re waiting. Lastly, it benefits them to have you thinking of THEIR store when you think of your jewelry needs or when you want to talk to an ''expert'' instead of the competition. It seems like a pretty fair deal, sort of like the need to watch commercials on ‘free’ TV. It’s hard to get customers into your store these days and this costs them nothing but a little time. Who knows, you might even find something you like.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I bought from Ben Bridge before I found PS. They do carry some nicer diamonds and have knowledgable staff, so now I take all my stuff there to be inspected and cleaned because I trust the woman who sold me a diamond there years back. A nice one too. . .looks fabulous under the idealscope.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results