carat
color
clarity

Ring made in progress pics

2flawless

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone

I am new here and need some advice.

Please can you tell me if this is a cast or handmade piece? Is it possible to tell from the photos?

Thanks

_36373.jpg

_36992.jpg

_36993.jpg

2flawless

Rough_Rock
Can anybody help comment please?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't know enough to tell you sorry.

Parts of it could even be die struck for all I know.

And it is likely that the pros will over look this thread. You may want to message the ADMINS to change title to "Professionals please advise: Ring in progress pics"

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's not really easy to tell, but the head does not look hand fabricated. Is this a setting you are thinking about purchasing from someone? Why not ask them?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got your email asking me my opinion, and as requested, I am posting it in the threAd.

Caveat: It is not possible to be 100% sure since the pictures are not crystal clear, but to me this ring looks to be cast.

I have sharpened your picture with Photoshop and have circled what I believe to be porosity bubbles on the inside of the shank, which is something that is found in cast pieces. Since with a hand forged piece the gold would be rolled in a mill and then cut and shaped, I would not expect to find porosity bubbles in a hand forged piece.

I am not a craftsman but there are those here who are, but I will be surprised if they tell me I am wrong.

Here is the ring picture with what I believe to be porosity bubbles circled.

porosity-bubble-in-ring2.jpg

There are other things that lead me to believe this is cast also, but the apparent porosity is the clincher for me.

Wink

2flawless

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion. Truly appreciated!

It's supposed to be platinum. Surely it should be even denser to further eliminate porosity? I was holding a white gold cast sample in my hand and there was no discerning weight difference - which is another reason for concern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results