shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Jitters, is this ring OK??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlphaRex1

Rough_Rock
I have a deposit down on a diamond, but I am having gitters (worried that I dont have a well cut stone).

Here are the specs:

E
VS(1) (small feather near girdle)
VG/VG
5.89-5.94-3.56
Depth: 60.2
Table: 60
Culet: none
Flour: faint
Price: $3,300

Question 1: This comes with a GIA cert, so I do not know the Pavilion and Crown angles, this is causing me great concern... HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS DIAMOND IS WORTH THE SETTING ITS IN WITHOUT THOSE NUMBERS?? :errrr:

Question 2: The stone falls within my budget, and I dont feel it to be small, but my female co-workers think it should be a carat. Thoughts?

I really appreciate any input :wavey:

student

Shiny_Rock
You're definitely in much better shape if you can get the crown and pavilion angles. Ask for a Sarin report or look for a stone with an AGS cert.

As for your female co-workers--it's none of their damn business! (Not that it's any of mine, either, but then again I'm not advising you to spend twice as much!) Some people will think you're cheap if you get a smaller diamond, other people will think you're ostentatious if you get a bigger one. You can't please everybody, so just please yourself and your fiancee.

AlphaRex1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!

One other question I have: After the ring is set can the angles still be determined or is it too late at that point?

student

Shiny_Rock
I think that very rough estimates can sometimes be made of the angles after the diamond is set, but that is all (unless they are already on the cert). Perhaps an expert can confirm this.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I would give some credit to what the female co-workers say as they are an inside scoup into how many women feel. But then again, I see that the stone you are looking at is of superb quality -- so those co-workers do not understand that you elected for quality over size within a bugdet -- a great way to go in my book. If you do elect to get a 1 carat, you can lower the color to F and the VS to 2. No one considers anything in the 1 to 1.5 range ostentageous. A 3.0 carat is though.

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
Question 2: The stone falls within my budget, and I dont feel it to be small, but my female co-workers think it should be a carat. Thoughts?
----------------

I'm amused each time I see the statement, "it should be a carat" being mentioned. While there is no rule engraved in stone that it should be a certain magical weight, IMHO, I think it should be proportionally matched to a the person's finger.

A super ideal cut .84 AGS-certified H&A stone in E color, VS2 clarity can be purchased for just under $5K and depending on the size of the person's finger, it looks just like a 1 ct. stone. :)

Regards,
David

AlphaRex1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Student, based on your advice I have called the jeweller and told him I will need the crown and pavilion angles before committing to the sale. It will cost me a week or more in time, but I will be more comfortable knowing those details. Does the depth of 60.2 and table of 60 bode well, or should I be concerned that the table is too big? (I realize I will get better light return with a bigger table, but I think most people notice the fire and scintillation more than they do the brilliance (thoughts?).

Thanks again for your valuable input... If this diamond pans out I will propose over the Thanksgiving holiday!:appl:

student

Shiny_Rock
Best of luck! I hope everything turns out well. The experts can give you better advice about how to interpret information about angles, percentages, etc. than I could--but to learn the basics check out the tutorial for the Holloway Cut Advisor on this site.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
A super ideal cut .84 AGS-certified H&A stone in E color, VS2 clarity can be purchased for just under $5K and depending on the size of the person's finger, it looks just like a 1 ct. stone. :)

Yeah -- but -- if someone asks if it is 1 carat, she will have to say .84. I am not saying don't get under 1 carat. I believe in quality first, and then get the largest size you can afford. But I still believe in magic numbers to some extent -- and I would factor it in the decision somewhat.

AlphaRex1

Rough_Rock
All good points... Thanks again! :appl:

How about the price of $3,300 for this stone, is that reasonable?? (I realize I'm still waiting on the Sarin report, which would complete the puzzle)

The parameters:

E
VS(1) (small feather near girdle)
VG/VG
5.89-5.94-3.56
Depth: 60.2
Table: 60
Culet: none
Flour: faint

I think the feather is in a good spot (being towards the edge).

Someone on another thread brought up a great point about keeping in mind the 'warmth' of a stone, but that is something I have trouble determining... I am a 'numbers guy' to a fault!:wavey:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I have a VS1 and they are in a "bad spot" -- right in the center. BUT, it took 2 minutes for me or my jeweler to spot them with a 10x loupe and a quartz halogen light. So if it is a real VS1 (AGS or GIA), then it hardly matters where they are. If it is a VS2 I would be happy they are on the side. But you probably don't need to worry about those feathers on a VS1.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results