shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring is ready!! But, quality is not what I expected!! Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Ok, well, I don't want to mention any names, because I don't want to make a great company look bad at all. But they have finished my ring. They sent me pictures and the quality does not look very good in my opinion. I wanted the Vatche Royal Crown channel set with melees. They said they could make it for me and that it would look the same. I agreed. Well, the pictures are here and their ring they made looks put together, not as smooth, and doesn't flow very well compared to the pictures I've seen of the Vatche. The diamonds look great, but I am not happy with the ring. I have attached pictures, what do you think?

Thanks,
-Brandon

brown.JPG

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Here are some comparison pictures.

The one on the left is the Vatche but without round melees.

compareangle.jpg

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Another

comparetop1.jpg

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
And again.

compareside1.jpg

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I agree, I didn't know there was a big difference in a so-called "knock-off" and the real one. The price difference was almost nothing, considering the price of the ring, but I trused them and thought they would do great. I'm not sure the size of the center stone in the Vatche pictures, but mine isn't necessarily small, it is a 1.6.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It's a pity that your expectations weren't met, but it doesn't look all that bad to me. What was the original agreement?

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I wanted the Vatche. But they said that it would look the same and it wouldn't take near as long...but it doesn't.

Yes, it's not "that bad", but the words "not that bad" are not what I want to hear when talking about my wife's $XX,000 ring that will last forever.

Anyone else agree with me?

Thanks,
-Brandon

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think it looks fantastic - and it is unique to you only!

reena

Ideal_Rock
I'm really sorry, too, that you are disappointed, but I think that your ring is gorgeous. In my opinion, in fact, it is prettier than the ring you asked them to copy! I'm sure that your fiancee-to-be (who, remember, will not be comparing it to pictures of another ring) will be thrilled.

All that being said, it's too bad that you didn't end up getting what you bargained for.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I am still waiting to hear back from them.

I like the ring they made, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

What does everyone else think of the comparison between the two? I am being too picky?

Thanks,
-Brandon

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful and well made. It is slightly different, but still a beautiful ring. I guess the question to you is are you ok with the different look? I can understand how after getting your expectations set for one thing and seeing something different is disconcerting and/or disappointing. Have you discussed this with the vendor to understand why there are differences? My guess is that there are practical reasons.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Lop has pretty much summed it up. I have been expecting it too look like the Vatche, but it is actually a little different. I like some parts of it. I think the top view is gorgeous. I am still not sure about the setting and prong area. Also, I don't know if I like it better tapered or not.

I am still waiting to hear back from the Vendor.

Thanks,
-Brandon

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry you're disappointed but I think that you still have a beautiful ring. It doesn't look at all cheaply made to me. Since the original ring features baguettes that appear to be narrower than the round melees in your ring I think making that area wider than it is would have made the band too wide. Your center diamond is gorgeous. Was the Vatche available with the rounds instead of the baguettes? If it was then you should have gone with the original. If not then they were making you an "inspired by" type of ring and you have to accept their "artistic differences". I don't see how they could tell you it would be identical when you are using a completely different shaped side diamond. I still think that what you got looks absolutely lovely.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Looks nice from the pics. It doesn't have that Vatche look though. I'd sit on it. Often it is our expectations that are off & not necessarily the reality of it.

Good luck.

Edited to add: looks substantial to me. Not a weeny "knock off"

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the complements on the ring.

I may be too picky. I would really love to see the ring in person.

Fire&Ice, what do you mean by sit on it?

Thanks,
-Brandon

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Here are some more pictures of how I wanted it to look.

1.04ct%20I%20VVS1.jpg

Dscf0048.jpg

Thanks,
-Brandon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sit on it...."take your shoes off & sit a spell" - must be the Southerner in me. It just means to think about & take another look with fresh eyes. Hence, wondering if your expectations are what you are wrestling with.

And, to add to my opinion. The Vatche does have a more fluid look which could be interpreted as elegant. But the setting you posted is more straight forward & honest.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, did they make the shank specifically for this ring or was it off-the-shelf then they added an x-prong head to simulate the look?

I agree with f&i, let it sit for a day or two. Have they offered to let you go swap out with the Vatche so that both options are available? It sounds strange but I'd actually feel better about going with this one if they did.

Edited to add: did they have that photo in hand before they started this? If so then I agree I'd be giving them a hard time and kicking myself for not getting that one
1.gif

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Well, let me just say that WhiteFlash is great. I just got off the phone with Denise and she agrees that it is not exactly what I wanted. They sent their desinger the pictures and he is completely remaking the ring to look just like I wanted.

Thanks for everyone's opinion and help with this. I will keep the forum updated with my progress.

Thanks,
-Brandon

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Good for White Flash for offering the remake. I hope you get exactly what you were looking for.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Feydakin, the killer to me is that both photos he showed of rings he likes (they are different rings) are tapered from the shoulder to the head and this one is straight. It sounds like that would make all the difference in the world on this.

Edit: You're the metalsmith but this still looks like a stock shank to me with an x-prong bolted on, the originals look more "integrated".

Glad this will work out, Brandon.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/19/2004 5:54:53 PM Feydakin wrote:

Only going to say it once, you should have bought the original.. What made you choose having it remade over getting an original??

----------------

I'm curious too. Why don't you just buy the real thing? I thought WF was a Vatche dealer.

FWIW, I thought the ring they made is quite nice and I kind of prefer it. I might add, have you seen the rings in person? I've seen the Vatche's in person and they can can look different from the pictures.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Well, I didn't know that there was a difference in buying a Vatche compared to having them make it. I just showed her what I wanted and they said that it would look the same if they made it.

Do you think I should let them remake it or should I buy the Vatche instead?

Thanks,
-Brandon

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
I too am in the process of having some rings (e-ring and wedding bands) made by Whiteflash. However, it is not a copy of a designer ring but a reconstruction of one of the Whiteflash custom made rings. However, I did learn on this board that my fiance and I should make our point clear as to what we want and if possible provide a picture to the designer. I've been told that designers normally provide the buyer with a copy of the model first before completing the ring. However, I'm going to make certain that we work closely with the designer so that we get exactly what we want! Good luck with your re-make!

victorianblue

Rough_Rock
I agree that there are some differences.

Is your impression of like or dislike based soley on the pictures your recieved?

The reason I asked that is that the while there are differences that you can see with respect to the design, there is also a difference in the quality & display of the photos. I do not think the photos are giving the ring a fair shake with respect to the presentation.
You may want to take a look at the ring up close and personal before rebuffing the final results--keep your options open.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Brandon,

Let me ask you this? Have you been to the store and looked at the Vatche piece? The reason I ask is that I thought I wanted a Vatche piece until I went and looked at it. I then decided I wanted something different. But if you want it to look just like it, why would you not buy the real thing?

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
My impressions are on the pictures. However, I did speak with Denise and she agrees. I would see it up close if I could, but I am 7 hours away from the ring.

Thanks,
-Brandon

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
The Vatche pieces are not as substantial as the pictures look. They are fine and flowing pieces though and very well made. It depends on what you want. I wanted a more substantial weighty piece, hence I made soemthing different. Is there a Vatche dealer closer to you?

However, if you want it exactly like that, then my advice would be to buy the real thing.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think that you will not be happy with anything but the DVatche piece. I say scrap the idea of the re-make and just have them order you the DVatche authentic mounting for your size diamond (which, by the way, is gorgeous -- such crisp arrows!).

just-ice

Rough_Rock
"My impressions are on the pictures. However, I did speak with Denise and she agrees. I would see it up close if I could, but I am 7 hours away from the ring."
-------

I think the ring is beautiful.Gorgeous design, great balance. The only negative thing I notice is what you have circled on the fourth pic post. I don't like the little ridges and bumps on the lower prongs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results