carat
color
clarity

"Ring" in the new year ;)

missyc

Rough_Rock
It's gleamy.
It's dreamy.
It's my new opalescent sapphire ring coming just in time for New Year's! :kiss2:

I have been on the hunt for a purple stone for about 3 years now. It's my favourite colour. Even my bridesmaid dresses were purple!
My journey started off with me looking at sapphires. I umm'ed and ahh'ed over some pricey shades of purple but I was hesitant because I couldn't see the stones in person. I decided to go with a relatively cheap one to see how I like sapphires in person. This is when I realised how picky I am with colour (and we all know colour is king in the coloured gemstone world!).

The sapphire came and I loved the colour. So I set it in a ring and thought my hunt was done. Turns out I only loved the colour in specific lighting. Which gutted me because I spend majority of my time in unfavourable lighting for the stone! I tried to give myself time to grow to love the stone, but no matter how many times I wore it, I still felt a pang of regret. So, I continued my search.

B8DDEEEA-9DD4-47FA-A8C7-71916FF118B1.jpeg

The next stone I found was a coloured diamond. Again, I couldn't see it in person. And it was tiiiiny! I'm talking less than 0.1ct, because that's all I could afford.

Thankfully, I loved the colour. It's just too bad that it was so small, and it didn't quench my thirst for a purple stone like I had hoped. I still have the stone, but I have no idea how I want to use it.

56666.jpeg
(vendor photo)

Then, my journey lead me to opals. I had no idea opals can come in purple. I umm'ed and ahh'ed over it, because again, I. Couldn't. See. It. In. Person. (I'm sensing a trend here). Thankfully, this opal was already set in a sterling silver ring, so it was definitely affordably. By this stage, hubby had warmed up to my jewellery hobby, and offered to buy it as a push present for me. Obviously, I jumped at his offer :mrgreen: The ring came, and it was such a nice shade of purple, but...hint hint...only in specific lighting. I started to get sick of these colour shifts. I wanted to cry. I just wanted a ring that stayed a nice shade of purple :angryfire:

Screenshot_20221222_100618_Instagram.jpg
(vendor photo)

So, I stopped looking.

I had given birth by this stage, and spent all my time soaking up my newborn. He is my love, my darling, my soul. My LO loves to sleep, and after the newborn stage, I found myself with some time on my hands. There's only so much cleaning and cooking one can do in a day, and so I found myself scrolling on my phone a lot. One day, I was on Instagram, and the algorithm spat out at me the most gorgeous, dreamy sapphire ring I'd ever seen. A local jeweller had gotten engaged and was sharing about her new ring. I coveted the stone big time. I knew it was a sapphire, and I knew it was opalescent. Armed with these two words, my search began.

I searched far and wide. I bombarded multiple sellers (sorry!) about their stones and how they performed under different lighting. I had learned my lesson. I knew I wanted a stone that colour shifts as little as possible. I asked to see photos and videos of the stones in low, overcast, indoor lighting, because that's the lighting where I spend most my time under. Truth be told, it was a long search. I didn't want to buy on whim like all those past times. I knew when I saw the one, I would know it.

And then I found it. It was gleamy. It was dreamy. The colour looked amazing. The stone size was amazing. The price was amazing. BUT. Yes there's a but.

It looked quite included. Now, I know that opalescent sapphires are included in their nature, but this one looked more so than usual. In an ideal world, I would want a perfect stone with perfect colour in a perfect size within my budget. This stone ticked all but one box. I gave it some thought over the next few days, and I realised I wouldn't ever be able to tick all the boxes (unless I wait many years to up my budget, but I'm an impatient girl :rolleyes:). Most importantly, hubby gave me the green light.

So, without further ado, here is my new ring for the new year! It is due to arrive late next week. To say that I am excited is an understatement!

(vendor video)

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!
Aren't they great?!
Ooh, I love the stone and I love the hammered finish on your mount!
I'm gaga for this kind of sapphire. I have yet to find mine, but I will.
I actually think you're super lucky that you have a squad of purples of different variety to choose from. You'll always have just the thing.
There are a ton of opalescent sapphire fans here :love:

missyc

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!
Aren't they great?!
Ooh, I love the stone and I love the hammered finish on your mount!
I'm gaga for this kind of sapphire. I have yet to find mine, but I will.
I actually think you're super lucky that you have a squad of purples of different variety to choose from. You'll always have just the thing.
There are a ton of opalescent sapphire fans here :love:

They are so dreamy! What colour are you looking for?

I just looked back on my photos, and I do have a range of purple, don't I? Now, if only the lighting will stay the same throughout the whole day...:lol-2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They are so dreamy! What colour are you looking for?

I just looked back on my photos, and I do have a range of purple, don't I? Now, if only the lighting will stay the same throughout the whole day...:lol-2:
All of 'em Katie!
The one I'm really hunting for is a very particular light blue with just the right chartreuse. I've found two and they were boku bucks. And I have no money, so yeah.
It's called a collection now, it sounds official.
The lament of every CS lover on the planet. You'll start doing the weird side shuffle to better light mixing on the daily in no time.:lol:

missyc

Rough_Rock
All of 'em Katie!
The one I'm really hunting for is a very particular light blue with just the right chartreuse. I've found two and they were boku bucks. And I have no money, so yeah.
The lament of every CS lover on the planet. You'll start doing the weird side shuffle to better light mixing on the daily in no time.:lol:

Oh my, a purple collection in my hands? What a dream come true :lol-2:

I hope you'll be able to get your hands on a dreamy blue sapphire soon!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Great story! It's so comforting to find that I'm not the only one who has 'wasted' a fair bit of money in a quest. :) Even better, the story has a happy ending - you have a magical opalescent stone.

But your earlier purchases were not a waste. Think of it this way: you can become a connoisseur of light. You can learn which stones look best in which light, and choose accordingly which one to wear when. This is not a joke - I do this routinely.

Great line! That's exactly how my 'collection' got started.

You'll start doing the weird side shuffle to better light mixing on the daily in no time.:lol:
Another great line! And true.

missyc

Rough_Rock
Great story! It's so comforting to find that I'm not the only one who has 'wasted' a fair bit of money in a quest. :) Even better, the story has a happy ending - you have a magical opalescent stone.

But your earlier purchases were not a waste. Think of it this way: you can become a connoisseur of light. You can learn which stones look best in which light, and choose accordingly which one to wear when. This is not a joke - I do this routinely.
I love your way of thinking! I think I will continue to figure out which lighting is best for which stone and rotate the rings to wear :read:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
She's here!! I love the colour :kiss2:
Her inclusions are quite obvious but it's actually not bothering me that much, surprisingly.

20221229_154015.jpg

20221229_154012.jpg

No, they're actually surprisingly great. Pretty, who knew?! It works. I love the hammer finish. Who made the mount?

missyc

Rough_Rock
No, they're actually surprisingly great. Pretty, who knew?! It works. I love the hammer finish. Who made the mount?

The vendor who sold me the stone made the ring for me. Spinelthuy on Instagram :cool2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blimey! It’s so vibrant & juicy!

missyc

Rough_Rock
Blimey! It’s so vibrant & juicy!

Yes, juicy indeed! It's like a bubblegum coloured grape!

I love your pics way more than the vendor ones! Really pretty -- congratulations!

I agree with your assessment: dreamy

Thank you! I'm really liking the minimal colour shift in this stone. The purple stays purple in all lightings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results