shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring hunting in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scribblette

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a ring here in Australia for my fiancee to make it official. I'm in Adelaide, SA, but will likely be in Melbourne come September.

Going anywhere else isn't an option (cost).

Buying online seems not much of an option either - the 30 day guarantees of all these sites based overseas aren't reassuring when it can take anywhere up to that long before the item actually passes through customs, let alone be appraised, insured and returned within that time frame. [Edited - there are sites that show actual pictures of the diamonds, too, such as JamesAllen.]

I've been browsing the site and researching everything I can on diamonds and engagement rings online. Gone through many of the FAQs on here, to the point of me no longer retaining much of what I read for there being too darn much of it!

Does anyone have any suggestions of where it'd be best to buy an engagement ring or diamond down under? Know any good, trustworthy wholesalers?

My budget is much lower than most of what I've seen on here - the absolute tops I can go (and the highest she'll let me) would be about $1,800 USD, and I'm hoping for something closer to $900 USD.

I've gone to various stores around Adelaide, and they don't match up whatsoever with the prices suggested by sites like UnionDiamond (900-1800 range) and JamesAllen.com. I was shown diamonds ranging from 25 points to 36 points on plain bands which sold for as much as diamonds up to 81 points in size on which were sold for about as much as this 81 point diamond on the UD site. :/

And that's after their supposed discount - he offered me 15% off on the initial ask. I don't know how much lower I'm supposed to push for.

Any advice would be welcome.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope. If you are going to Melbourne, be sure to stop by Precious Metals Link That is Garry Holloway''s store. Gary developed the Holloway Cut Advisor (HCA) and you can be sure that you will get a beautifully cut diamond at his shop. You can use the link I provided to get an appointment and see if they might have something that you are looking for.

Good luck!!
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and if you can''t get to his store, call him or write him as i think he''ll give you excellent help long distance.

movie zombie

eac

Shiny_Rock
Hi there from New Zealand. Kudos to you for going to so much trouble to get a great ring!

As a fellow global shopper, I have had two good experiences buying a gemstone from overseas and having it shipped to me in New Zealand. Each time, the stone took a week to arrive: one time it came from Switzerland, another time it came from Australia (heh).

So I believe that you could indeed get a stone or ring from overseas, have a week to evaluate it, and then be able to send it back if you really didn''t like it.

May I suggest that you post on Rocky Talky and ask there about having diamonds shipped to Australia? I know that several other Aussies have done what you are looking at doing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results