shape
carat
color
clarity

ring gallery - open or closed?

Hello there,

I'm trying decide on a new ring design and getting stuck on the gallery part... I always thought that the gallery should be open. I know that there's a common belief that leaving the galley open allows more light into the center stone which makes it sparkle brighter. Is that true? I also notice that if the gallery is open OECs tend to pick up more color from the environment around them.
What's your experience been like -- do you like your gallery open? Does it impact your stone in any way?

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
Good question. I had an OEC and I had it both ways. First time the gallery was completely open and my stone sparkled like crazy and picked up ALL colors around it
Second time the gallery was closed... my stone all of the sudden stopped picking up colors, became significantly less sparkly, but the pattern was a lot more distinct

Just traded my stone and will be getting a new setting... undecided what it's going to be

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hello there,

I'm trying decide on a new ring design and getting stuck on the gallery part... I always thought that the gallery should be open. I know that there's a common belief that leaving the galley open allows more light into the center stone which makes it sparkle brighter. Is that true? I also notice that if the gallery is open OECs tend to pick up more color from the environment around them.
What's your experience been like -- do you like your gallery open? Does it impact your stone in any way?

I think it really would depend on the OEC - there’s a whole thread about bezels vs prongs for OECs and I bet a lot of the same rules apply…maybe I can find it…

I haven’t had a full closed gallery, but mostly closed in a semi bezel. I didn’t find a major difference in terms of sparkle, but agree that the contrast of the facets was more pronounced with a full bezel, whereas my diamond in a pronged setting is overall brighter / whiter

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have my rings made with closed galleries just because of the cleaning issues. I'm not sure that a closed gallery with an open bottom will allow me to clean them as easily. And I do think seeing at least some of the stone from the side looks better than not.

I don't have my rings made with closed galleries just because of the cleaning issues. I'm not sure that a closed gallery with an open bottom will allow me to clean them as easily. And I do think seeing at least some of the stone from the side looks better than not.

I don't mean a fully closed gallery, but an ornate one that could potentially block some light
Sorry if it was confusing

Open

P-871-1735143751-4.jpg open.png

Closed
closed.png
closed3.png closed1.png

I think it really would depend on the OEC - there’s a whole thread about bezels vs prongs for OECs and I bet a lot of the same rules apply…maybe I can find it…

I haven’t had a full closed gallery, but mostly closed in a semi bezel. I didn’t find a major difference in terms of sparkle, but agree that the contrast of the facets was more pronounced with a full bezel, whereas my diamond in a pronged setting is overall brighter / whiter

I generally find that most OECs look better bezeled but with an open gallery. I am tempted to try other designs but worried that could impact performance

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly prefer open.
It lets me see more of the diamond I paid $0 dearly for.

And, I love a diamond's side view too.

Second time the gallery was closed... my stone all of the sudden stopped picking up colors, became significantly less sparkly, but the pattern was a lot more distinct

yes. unfortunately, that's what my experience has been like too. was curious to hear other opinions

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
How deep is your stone? I love an ornate gallery on an old cut. You can always do a faux bezel.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have two - one is almost 65%, and the new one is 63%
Oh both good depths. You can experiment. I think a faux bezel gives you the best of both. You get the pretty gallery and the rainbow fire.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I guess I prefer something in the middle of your examples. I don't care for totally open galleries, but I also don't care for over worked, ornate ones. Just something with a fairly simple design element, but not entirely open, works for me.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Here's an example of a full bezeled OEC with a decorative gallery that is still throwing that rainbow fire.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess I prefer something in the middle of your examples. I don't care for totally open galleries, but I also don't care for over worked, ornate ones. Just something with a fairly simple design element, but not entirely open, works for me.

Yes I think middle ground could be nice since you like both styles

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results