shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring from Bluenile...help find similar elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marv117

Rough_Rock
I love this platinum engagement setting from bluenile matched with a princess or radiant cut diamond(1.30-1.50c)

Platinum Engagement Setting w/ Diamond Accents

The setting cost $1000 at bluenile but their diamonds are a bit pricey.

Can you folks comment on the setting...and where i can find a well priced princess/radiant diamond to match the ring.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

Shiny_Rock
You could check out GoodOldGold.com, WhiteFlash.com, NiceIce.com, SuperbCert.com, or any of the vendors listed at the "vendors" link at the top of this page.

I see you like settings with some flair, have you see the Verragio settings? You can check them out here.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why don't you just buy the setting from Blue Nile and find a diamond elsewhere online? Most of the reputable online vendors, such as the ones that Nate mentioned, will set a stone for you in a setting of your choice.

Just an idea..

Good luck!

marv117

Rough_Rock
I was actually thinking of getting that setting from bluenile and then go elsewhere for the diamond.

So how do you guyz like the setting? I've seen a couple of people here who actually had chosen the exact setting..hehe =)

Your comments would be much appreciated.

marv117

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 11:57:12 PM Nate wrote:

You could check out GoodOldGold.com ...

...You can check them(verragio) out here...
----------------

I'm actually familiar with GOG...it's a very helpfull and informative site....and WOW, the verragio settings are gorgeous! thanks for the link!

marv117

Rough_Rock
i found the dvatche website and this setting is also stunning! However, the only problem is my girlfriend loves the princess cut and side stone settings. But she hasn't really seen other designs.

http://www.dvatche.com/large_rings/803.htm

this round diamond with this setting is perfect because it's simple yet absolutely beautiful...just like my girlfriend =)

How much do you think this setting would be? the first setting from bluenile is $1000..do u think this dvatche setting w/out side stones would cost less?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
You can set a princess in the vatche x-prong. You could also get it with pave set sidestones or channel set sidestones to add some flare. The cost will be about the same with just the center stone, maybe a little more. A lot more if you add some flare to the band. Check out the vendors sites for some pricing, I know whiteflash lists the prices, not sure about the others.

marv117

Rough_Rock
would this diamond i found through the search here fit well with the settings i mentioned?

Graded by: GIA Cert
Shape and Cut: PRINCESS
Weight: 1.39
Clarity: VS1
Color: H
Dimensions: 6.3 x 6.19 x 4.47 mm
Depth Percentage: 72.2 %
Table: 78 %
Crown: %
Pavilion: %
Girdle: MDTK
Culet: N
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: GOOD
Fluorescence: NONE
Notes:
Cost Per Carat: $ 4083.80
Credit Card Price: $ 5676.48
Wire/Cash Price: $ 5562.95

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1041/v.cgi?stock=794371&_s=1041&_p=98fg98f7g&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

I really wanted to stay within the $5k range. I've been reading a lot about how to choose a good diamond and this one seems decent, dont u think? Color H with VS1 okay?

Nate

Shiny_Rock
-color:D9E0E8">--EDIT--
pat.gif

I posted on how horrible the table and depth percentages were because I didn't notice it was a princess cut!!!
doh.gif

Don't mind me..
14.gif

--EDIT--

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Those proportions aren't unheard of for a princess cut. Princess cuts tend to be deeper and because they are square can handle a larger table percentage. It may look great, I wouldn't run away, rather, I'd approach cautiously. Unless you are in a rush, GO LOOK AT PRINCESS CUTS LOCALLY to get a feel for how the different proportions perform.

I knbow you have seen GOGs site, but also check out this one too:

www.superbcert.com - Barry posts here on the forum and claims to have ideal cut princess diamonds. A little more expensive but worth looking at the photos.

marv117

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 8
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM Nate wrote:

Color and clarity are good (heck I went for a J, SI1) but...

Depth Percentage: 72.2 %
Table: 78 %

RUN AWAY AND HIDE FROM THIS DIAMOND!!!!! The table is too large and the depth is too deep. Horrid proportions, you should stay 58-63% depth and 53-62% table.

Compare the dimensions...

Dimensions: 6.3 x 6.19 x 4.47 mm

...with the the dimensions of the average diamond that weight and you'll see a big difference. Its width should be about 7.2mm, not 6.3-6.19mm! This means the diamond isn't nearly as wide as it should and so it will appear much smaller. It will look like a 0.85ct stone.

----------------

Thanks for the warning nate...that's why I like to get the opinions from more experience people.

-------- UPDATE ---------
However, after looking around for Princess cut diamonds, I haven't found a width over 7.0mm, unless it's 2carats and above...please correct me if im wrong.
-------- UPDATE ---------

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Nate

Are you sure the table and depth percentages you quoted were for princess cut stones. I think you are confusing it with ideal ranges for rounds.

Check out http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm, the AGA cut chart for Princess Cuts. You'll see the table and depth ranges are higher for this shape.

Marv
Don't be turned off by this one until you get more info. It may be a winner. You won't know until you get a Sarin, brilliancescope or idealscope image.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out the charts at www.gemappraisers.com. They have fancy cut grading charts that help.

Princess cut has very different specs from round brilliants. A 78% table and 72% makes this stone around a 3A cut..not horrible, but not the greatest either. I would go for a princess cut with depth under 75% and table between 62 and 70%. Polish and symm should be at least good, preferraly VG or EX, and girdle should be medium-slightly thick or around there...no v.thin girdles or v.thick.

It's hard to find well cut princesses that not only fit the above parameters but also have good light return. Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nate!
wavey.gif

If you click on the Tutorial link above, you can get to the AGA Princess cut charts from the left side bar near the bottom. Check out the chart to compare your diamond.

The length to width ratio is great, preferred. The table is large, Class 3A. The depth is close to Class 2A, but falls just in Class 2B. Finish is great.

If you go with the "benefit of the doubt" approach to Cut grading and call this a Class 2B, Price Scope vendors sell comparable diamonds for $3880 to $5130. That's $2791 to $3690 per carat.

Maybe a more experienced person will comment for you, but I hope the info helps.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Geez Mara! I make a venture into a fancy cut and you beat me to the punch!
eek.gif
While I was crunching numbers you were posting.

Or,.... I could say, "Ask and you shall receive!"
12.gif
I hoped for a more experienced person and Voila! Mara answered!
9.gif

Price Stats for a 3A cut are $2743 to $3542 per carat from Price Scope vendors.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You did excellently PQ~
1.gif

Never can have too many people posting the same thing!! It just reinforces that I didn't transpose the #'s or anything while posting.

eek.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 9
6.gif
6.gif
6 PM homer_j wrote:
Are you sure the table and depth percentages you quoted were for princess cut stones. I think you are confusing it with ideal ranges for rounds.
----------------
stickpoke.gif

Stop that homer!!

slap.gif

Quit it!

2.gif

Not sleeping does that I guess.
errrr.gif

----------------
On 5/29/2003 11:28:15 PM Mara wrote:
Never can have too many people posting the same thing!! It just reinforces that I didn't transpose the #'s or anything while posting.
----------------
Yeah and when I screw up its sure to be caught.
3.gif
Sorry for misleading ya marv117!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Ha, Ha.
Great emoticons.

Sorry I had to call you out, but Marv bought into your warning.

Up_to_something.gif

emeraldt

Rough_Rock

FYI, some companies don''t sell their settings without one of their center diamonds in it....

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Marv is now happily engaged.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I just saw this thread on the first page and thought I''d mention that Bule Nile is one of the ones that doesn''t sell its settings without center diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results