shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring for a medical professional

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Side view.

P4040083.JPG

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Front on.

P4040089.JPG

MissMandie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I too wear medical gloves all day and I''ve found that if I wear a glove size that is slightly larger than my usual size i have no problems. If it just so happens that this size is not available I''ll turn my ring around so that the stone is on the inside of my palm, I find this helps to protect also. I''ve not had a problem with my ring, its which is quite a high setting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your GF should have what she likes, but there is something to be said for the practical side of things. I like to wear my ring ALL THE TIME, and perhaps she''ll have to leave it home for surgery, but when she''s doing a consult and is perhaps palpitating a part of a patent''s body I''d hate to poke anyone - I know I poked my kids on the changing table with my prongs many a time - good luck - I love the bezels myself.

John341

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the great responses. It''s great to have the opinions of so many people who wear gloves frequently and you all have given me a lot to think about. Currently she doesn''t know what field she is going to go into (i.e. she likes most of them still), so it''s difficult to say that she will or won''t be doing surgery, for example.

I think I''m going to try to better figure out what type of style she wants. I would prefer to pick out the ring and keep it a surprise as much as possible, but not at the cost that she won''t get what she wants. I''m actually toying with an idea I heard of somewhere of picking out the diamond, getting an acceptable looking temporary setting to propose with, and then letting her go shopping for the setting with me (perhaps to a jeweler where I''ve already chosen a set of rings for her to chose from -- in our budget and with styles she obviously wouldn''t want taken out). Whether I do this or not will depend on how confident I am that she will like the setting I end up with.

Regardless of what I do, I promise to post a picture when it''s all done
1.gif

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
John I just wanted to offer a different suggestion, which is to get her whatever type of ring SHE really wants, no matter how elaborate, and for her to just wear her wedding band or something less ornate to work.

I am a marine biologist/animal trainer so my hands are always in saltwater, cleaning solution, or dead fish (or worse)! Lol. I have a gorgeous 3-stone wedding set, but at work I just wear a cheap $40 titanium band that I bought specifically for work or the gym. That way, people know I''m married, I can slip latex gloves on easily when I''m working with things that require them, and most importantly I didn''t have to compromise on my dream ring just because of my job!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!
I am a nurse and wear gloves quite a bit, always washing my hands. My e-ring is a prong set and I have gotten used to get gloves on and off over the years. I would definitely get the setting that she wants, though.

icet

Rough_Rock
i''m a physician, I got engaged during residency with a 4 prong round solitaire, it was somewhat on the low side but still high enough to see through gloves. It never bothered me, I''m not in surgery but we still did minor procedures and wore and still do wear gloves all the time.
Like a previous poster said,if the gloves are small, i will turn my ring on the palm side but usually I don''t need to.

I say don''t think about it and get what she wants because if she does go into surgery, she can''t wear her ring regardless in the OR and most of the women that i know in medicine who got engaged don''t have any problems with their erings and everyone has different styles.

good luck

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:38:12 PM
Author: John341
Wow, thanks for the great responses. It''s great to have the opinions of so many people who wear gloves frequently and you all have given me a lot to think about. Currently she doesn''t know what field she is going to go into (i.e. she likes most of them still), so it''s difficult to say that she will or won''t be doing surgery, for example.

I think I''m going to try to better figure out what type of style she wants. I would prefer to pick out the ring and keep it a surprise as much as possible, but not at the cost that she won''t get what she wants. I''m actually toying with an idea I heard of somewhere of picking out the diamond, getting an acceptable looking temporary setting to propose with, and then letting her go shopping for the setting with me (perhaps to a jeweler where I''ve already chosen a set of rings for her to chose from -- in our budget and with styles she obviously wouldn''t want taken out). Whether I do this or not will depend on how confident I am that she will like the setting I end up with.

Regardless of what I do, I promise to post a picture when it''s all done
1.gif
My husband proposed with just the diamond....a beautiful asscher, which was what I wanted....then I got to have fun trying on different ring styles and get a feel for what I really wanted. Women are sentimental creatures but we''re also pretty fussy over our jewelry so if you''re unsure of what she really wants, I think it''s a great idea to just focus on the stone and then have fun together picking out the setting.
1.gif

blingmemore

Rough_Rock
Hey,

Thought I''d post a pic of my bezel set engagement/wedding set. It is a half bezel, so the sides are open. It sits really low and I used to work in a job where I had to wear gloves and I never had any problems with it catching. Good luck with your ring hunting :)

nays.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hello! I am a scientist and take gloves on and off a bajillion times a day, really a bajillion! I have a 6 prong Classic Tiff style solitaire from WF and I don''t have a single problem with wearing gloves. You just need to pull the glove on and then snap the latex over the ring so it sits right. Really, its second nature and in 9 months, I have not broken a single glove on my ering. I hear people saying all the time that they can''t get a prong setting cos they wear gloves and it''s really not a problem at all. Get her a ring she will love, not one that you think might be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results