shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring etiquette question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Since I''ve got diamonds on the mind (researching engagement rings), I always notice other women''s rings. Is it completely rude to ask a total stranger to see her ring? At a party? On the subway? Would you be creeped out if someone asked you, or would you be proud to show it off? So far I''ve succeeded in holding myself back, but I fear that I may embarrass myself one day.
emembarrassed.gif
Your thoughts?

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Good Lord I have probably offended everyone & their neighbor!!! I ask any woman with a ring that catches my eye if I can see it. If they are offended then that is their problem. There really is no way to know if they will be offended or not, right? Over the weekend I was @ Crate & Barrel and got busted STARING at a woman''s huge rock. I think it is probably better to ask to see the ring than to blatantly oogle it from afar like I did making an A** out of myself
18.gif

Kelli

TwoJs:

It''s so nice of you to ask us how we''d feel about a stranger asking about our rings. You''re being very thoughtful.

If a stranger said something like, "I''m in the process of selecting an engagement ring for my girlfriend and I wondered if you could tell me a little about yours (or if you would mind if I looked at your pretty ring)," most women would be delighted to talk with you and show you their ring.

Come to think of it, this could be a great pick up line. He-he, just kidding!

Smiles, Mary

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Well take it from The Stalker, it probably would be nicer just to compliment the ring and move on.

MOve, on
Move on
Move on

I can never seem to get that part down. MOVE ON

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ill ask anyone and Im not ashamed if I really just want to see it. People grab my hand all the time to see mine, but Id rather they just ask me and Ill show. I had one girl, a random woman nop ess, just grab at my hand, say "that''s gorgeous can I try it on" and try to pull it off. Luckily it was snug on my finger and she said "oh thats cool I just wondered what a stone that size would look like on my finger. Now I know what I like"....That was cool, but still kinda weird.

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Yikes, I guess I fall into the category of STALKER. But it''s like I can''t help myself when it comes to rings. I am powerless over rings. I know I can get help for this. There are 12-Step groups out there. And I probably sounded harsh, like who cares if you offend someone. I didn''t mean it that way at all. Mary, you put it so much more eloquently than I
8.gif

You rock girl!! I can''t believe I am sitting here on my day off just reading all these postings. It''s not like I have a wedding to plan in 4 months or anything. Am I a total loser????

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No more than us ;-)

Shopgirlk

Rough_Rock
Ame, thanks :) What does your ring look like? I have NEVER grabbed anyone''s hand, let alone try to slip their ring off their finger! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! There was something definitely wrong with that gal.

Kelli

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
The subway might not be a good place to approach a woman and ask her about her ring. I''m an engagement ring stalker
emwink.gif
, meaning I''m always checking them out. Most of my married girlfriends tell me they turn their ring around on the subway. Can''t say I blame them.

Good luck!
35.gif

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
I''m glad to know I''m not the only ring stalker out there. And judging by the hand-snatcher, not the nuttiest one either!

Mary, I''m actually researching rings for myself. I fear my boyfriend is pretty clueless-- until last week he thought all diamonds were round-- so I''m taking matters into my own hands.
emsmile.gif

Thatagirl, TwoJs (I''m so sorry I thought you were a guy - I feel like SUCH a dork)

I took matters into my own hands too -- I did the research and picked my own ring as well. And I am quite tacky on the subway - I''m always staring at women''s rings. eeekkkk (those of you who live in my area may even figure out who I am)

I say, "You go be your bad self and find your ring!" he-he

Smiles, Mary

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, well, I love my boyfriend but I have to do the research myself too. He asked me what I like though, thank goodness!
2.gif
His brother got their grandmother''s diamond, and while it is very beautiful and BIG and sparkly, the stone''s shape is just not for me (pear). I prefer cushion cut, asshcer, or RB.

Good luck!
35.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3:11:56 PM
Author: Shopgirlk
Ame, thanks :) What does your ring look like? I have NEVER grabbed anyone's hand, let alone try to slip their ring off their finger! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! There was something definitely wrong with that gal.

Kelli

Its a simple solitaire. I know it's in the SMTR file but not sure which page. 20something...

My avatar is a closeup of my stone though.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3
6.gif
4:48 PM
Author: ame
Ill ask anyone and Im not ashamed if I really just want to see it. People grab my hand all the time to see mine, but Id rather they just ask me and Ill show. I had one girl, a random woman nop ess, just grab at my hand, say ''that''s gorgeous can I try it on'' and try to pull it off. Luckily it was snug on my finger and she said ''oh thats cool I just wondered what a stone that size would look like on my finger. Now I know what I like''....That was cool, but still kinda weird.
OMG!!! Some stranger actually tried to take your ring OFF?!?! That is crazy!
emdgust.gif
Some people are just nuts.

I usually keep my mouth shut and just oogle from afar...haven''t been busted yet lol! I''ll whisper to hubby, "look at her rock!" and he says without an ounce of enthusiasm "wow." Unless it a HUGE HUGE stone and then he''s impressed.
20.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
ame: That is crazy.. I would have smacked that stranger in the face! Seriously! Back off psycho! LOL! What stranger would think you would let her try on your ring! You are not a jewelry store!!

I think Sevens is right. Compliment the ring if you like it...if she seems thrilled that you complimented it, chances are she won''t mind telling you about it. I get compliments on my ring at least once a day and I don''t mind sharing info on it if someone politely asks about it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea Ill stare too, but then Ill ask. My fiance has taken up looking now and then too. He likes that Im still looking for a setting to do it justice.

The girl that tried taking it off was really funny. I checked my stone after wards in case her dragonlady claws scratched it ;-) I can just see myself letting some stranger wear it and it getting damaged or stolen or dropped. Id die.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stare from afar. The sad thing is my kids even do it too!!!
39.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I think complimenting the ring will make the wearer naturally open to sharing the details of the ring -- and I''m sure she''ll be tickled! But as for grabbing it, which I have experienced a lot... That is too much!
41.gif
It''s all in good fun, anyway!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 4:29:12 PM
Yea Ill stare too, but then Ill ask. My fiance has taken up looking now and then too. He likes that Im still looking for a setting to do it justice.

The girl that tried taking it off was really funny. I checked my stone after wards in case her dragonlady claws scratched it ;-) I can just see myself letting some stranger wear it and it getting damaged or stolen or dropped. Id die.
Hey Ame, what kind of setting are you leaning toward?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Count me in as a stalker as well. My b/f can''t even believe how quickly I notice other women''s rings . . .

I''ve just always been that way with the left ring finger . . . I don''t notice hair, or eyes, or a great body - I notice a person''s left hand before anything else.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 4:50:34 PM
Author: sevens one
Date: 1/6/2005 4:29:12 PM

Hey Ame, what kind of setting are you leaning toward?
No idea. I haven't found anything that really grabs me. I saw a few really cool ornate heads on some rings but nothing that isn't distracting. I don't want something taking away from my cool stone, yknow?

Right now the project is my wedding band.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
I am all for a nice simple complement! No questions, don''t ask me how many carats and please don''t touch my hand, my ring or me. Maybe I am paranoid, but my grandmother was held a gunpoint more than once for the jewelry off her body!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2005 3
6.gif
4:48 PM
Ill ask anyone and Im not ashamed if I really just want to see it. People grab my hand all the time to see mine, but Id rather they just ask me and Ill show. I had one girl, a random woman nop ess, just grab at my hand, say ''that''s gorgeous can I try it on'' and try to pull it off. Luckily it was snug on my finger and she said ''oh thats cool I just wondered what a stone that size would look like on my finger. Now I know what I like''....That was cool, but still kinda weird.
A friend of a friend did grab my hand and take the ring off, and tried it on. I guess she thought it was fake at first because after she tried it on, she asked you are engaged? After I said yes, she quickly put it back on my finger and told me not to let anyone try it on. It was weird because she went ahead and tried it on without asking. I was a little offended with that.

On the other hand, I love it when people ask about my ring and want to look at it (as long as they don''t try to take it off).

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I''m new to the board, but have been lurking here for awhile. I LOVE THIS SITE!! Seriously, I''m addicted.

I had to laugh about this thread, because I am a "ring stalker" myself, I notice women''s rings before I notice anything else about them. I can''t help it, my eyes instantly go there. I don''t have any pictures of my ring to post right now, but women are constantly grabbing my hand and asking me about my ring. I get pretty flattered about it, I don''t take offense. The only time I get upset is if a woman touches the ring and leaves a visible print on it, that kinda peeves me. But I wouldn''t worry about offending too many women by giving them compliments about their rings.
When you''re sporting massive bling, you have to be ready for compliments!!
41.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I stare and scout out erings on every woman I meet/see. I usually don''t ask to see them unless I am "caught in the act" and then I am like,"Oh your ring is gorgoeus!"
2.gif
1.gif
emembarrassed.gif

It''s scary--my husband now notices sometimes too and he''ll ask me, "How big do you think THAT one is?"
2.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
My husband gets nervous when he sees me checking out other rings, he feels like I''m not satisfied with mine or something, which is insane! I try explaining to him that I love my ring, and I simply check out other women''s rings to appreciate all the different varieties of diamonds and e-ring settings.

I think it''s cute when I see people checking out my ring but are too shy to actually ask to see it - this happens at the grocery store alot
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results