shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Envy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
I know that I am going to love my .71 carat....but does anyone else ever get ring envy when they see some of this ginormous diamond rings that some of the other ladies have on here???

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
yes, I have found that PS can be dangerous in that way.
31.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Sure. I started out wanting a 1.5 for my upgrade and ended up with a 2.19.
9.gif
Now I am thinking 3+ carats for the next upgrade, years down the road...but that might not be realistic.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
When I was wearing my 1/3-carat Marquise (TCW - .66), I was always "eyeing" other women''s bands...now with my 1.03-carat EC (TCW-2.26), I''m not finding myself doing that as much...maybe because my EC is so new that I''m still getting used to my own upgrade!! I''m sure I''ll be looking to upgrade in the future again, though
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, it''s seems as soon as i find "the one" someone else posts a ring that i just adore. i found this site while trying to upgrade my setting and now i''ve convinced hubby to upgrade the stone too
31.gif
2.gif

i''ve been driving myself nuts trying to decide what i want. i just have to remind myself many women have no diamond at all and i''m so blessed to have a hubby who loves me, ring or no ring..
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to. . .but now after reading here for quite a while, I think I''ve become desensitized from seeing SO many rings/diamonds that the "ooooh, must have" factor has faded. Many of the rings start to look the same after a while, so now I''m mostly impressed with the very original rings that pop up occasionally.

Someone posted a really cool, unique, ring recently, and this was the first time I had my husband come in to look at the screen in over a year (aside from when I drug him in to look at Jennifer''s 2004 collection
2.gif
), but I wasn''t envious of the ring. . .just thinking, hmmmm, right hand ring!
9.gif

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
good point....i don''t think i will ever want to upgrade...I''d want the first one as is, to remind me of humble beginings....

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2005 10:35:59 AM
Author: IHeartWF
good point....i don''t think i will ever want to upgrade...I''d want the first one as is, to remind me of humble beginings....
First off, welcome!

As for your last post, if that is your ring in your avatar, that is no humble beginning!!!
That ring is gorgeous and I''m in love with it. Talk about envy...!

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/9/2005 11
6.gif
2:33 AM
Author: headlight

Date: 4/9/2005 10:35:59 AM
Author: IHeartWF
First off, welcome!

As for your last post, if that is your ring in your avatar, that is no humble beginning!!!
That ring is gorgeous and I''m in love with it. Talk about envy...!
I don''t think it''s going to look that big in the setting....lol Lesley said it will look just like that, but I''ll believe it when I see it...lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, i envy all you girls here, you got all those sparkles and i have NONE.
7.gif
39.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2005 1
6.gif
7:48 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
yes, i envy all you girls here, you got all those sparkles and i have NONE.
7.gif
39.gif

9.gif
At least you don''t have to go through pregnancy and childbirth!
2.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t get envy as much as a wide-eyed(or wild-eyed LOL) optimism. My husband thinks it''s nutty... He shakes his head & jokes which bank he should rob.

I occasionally print out my favorities to add to a folder (already with lots of photos from T & C magazine etc.). The ones I''m completly mad about I pin on the wall or refrigerator.

When I was in high school, I used to collect anything from France and had lots of photos & posters on my wall. I was sure I''d live there someday. I know some people thought I was ridiculous but it''s happened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I get ring-envy when looking ar rings here on PS, SURE! The cure is to go out into the "real world" and check out the wedding sets of the next 20 people you see, and realize that you''re probably in the norm, or even a little better than the norm in the "real world".

My e-ring (1.25 ct) is small by PS standards, but at my workplace (around 50-60 people) I have the second-largest centerstone, and the best in quality (cut, color, clarity) actually! My co-worker with the largest rock has a 3ct, and it looks yellowish, don''t know if it''s because it''s set in 18kt gold.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 4:53:39 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I get ring-envy when looking ar rings here on PS, SURE! The cure is to go out into the ''real world'' and check out the wedding sets of the next 20 people you see, and realize that you''re probably in the norm, or even a little better than the norm in the ''real world''.

My e-ring (1.25 ct) is small by PS standards, but at my workplace (around 50-60 people) I have the second-largest centerstone, and the best in quality (cut, color, clarity) actually! My co-worker with the largest rock has a 3ct, and it looks yellowish, don''t know if it''s because it''s set in 18kt gold.

Another interesting twist, which came to mind as I was reading your post, is that in the real world, even if the diamond is smaller, it''s probably of better quality in that PS''ers are quality-saavy & conscious!! We know NOT to buy from the local maul and purchase anything that is "less than" in quality...so while others may have bigger, we have more fire, brillance and sparkle...now which will get more noticed across a crowded room?!
9.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I think AchiOAlumna hit the nail on the head! When a PSer has had a "say" in the ring they wear it is most likely a higher quality stone than the majority of their peers.

Having said that, I get major envy here at PS over the color grade of other people''s stones and the custom settings they are able to afford. If there is any downside to inherited stones, its that you are simply at the mercy of what you''ve been given and you make the best of the situation. It doesn''t make it any less special, but I am human, so wishing for better color is understandable....

oh, and I covet all of Widget''s vintage jewelry and wish she''d adopt me
3.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 5:14:32 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
I think AchiOAlumna hit the nail on the head! When a PSer has had a ''say'' in the ring they wear it is most likely a higher quality stone than the majority of their peers.

Having said that, I get major envy here at PS over the color grade of other people''s stones and the custom settings they are able to afford. If there is any downside to inherited stones, its that you are simply at the mercy of what you''ve been given and you make the best of the situation. It doesn''t make it any less special, but I am human, so wishing for better color is understandable....

oh, and I covet all of Widget''s vintage jewelry and wish she''d adopt me
3.gif

Thanks for the supportive comment. I think that PS''ers have SO much more on the ball when it comes to their diamonds...If we stuck PSers on one side of a room and the other side had maul-buyers, and then had a spotlight hit our hands, which side would be blinded? LOL

On another note, I believe that a person who is wearing an inherited stone may have something more precious than the quality (not always, but depending on where the stone was inherited from!!) that buying a stone over the internet, from a maul or a trusted B&M would never provide...that''s the sentiment behind the precious stone (especially if it''s a heirloom from a positive relationship like a favorite aunt or grandmother)...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Nah, I don''t get ring envy at all. I look at the gorgeous rings and admire them for the beautiful pieces of art that they are. I upgraded to a 1.12 stone- average by PS standards but apparantly large by the standards of some of my friends. I would say that many of them make a lot more money than my DH and I do but they choose to splurge on different luxuries. I got exactly what I wanted with my upgrade even though we could have afforded something larger. I can honestly say that I''m not interested in anything bigger. Perhaps a different setting someday but my center diamond I''m very happy with.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
I get ring-envy every time looking at everybody''s rings here
30.gif

I wanna up grade now!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think this falls under the heading "It could go on forever."
2.gif

Bigger diamond, better diamond, better car, bigger house... No matter what it is, we all have to learn to be happy with what we have and just enjoy it.

It's okay to want a bigger dimaond or desire fancy things as long as it's in perspective.

Example: 5 years ago, I could have e gotten my upgrade and charged it all on a platinum card...but that is silly..we waited until we could afford it and it was a special thing and a milestone in our life together.

Example #2: Everytime I am in the store, I see great dish sets (you could substitute this with pillows, bedding, crystal, window treatments,, etc.)--this weekend, it was little cherries on white porcelain...I was all fevered and counting plates when I realized that the LAST thing I needed was another set of dishes! I put them back. Sure, they were adorable but it's better for me to save that money towards a longer-term and more important goal.

I appreciate all the beautiful pieces here--from .10 carat to 5+cts... and yeah, a 4 ct ring wold be incredible but I am happy with what I have and I think I always will be. Sometimes enough is just enough!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find alot of times for me the DAYDREAM of having something as spectacular as "insertringorstoneordiamondhere" is enough...I know I will get a bigger e-ring and maybe a few other fun things down the road, but believe it or not we do have many other priorities in life other than sparkly baubles for Mara. Nor do I wear tons of jewelry even though I like looking at it.

So in reality, this is a fun place to gather and ooh and ahh and help others pick and choose their ooh and ahh baubles, but I don't think there is alot of *envy* as in green-eyed monster there, more like..WOW, and/or daydreaming about maybe having something like it down the line or what you would do if you had $$$ to play around with...but I don't go to sleep thinking about rings. Most of the time it's dreaming of work.
40.gif

Though I do admit to dreaming about that fabulous 5c cartier asscher from time to time...what does it mean when in the dream it replaces Greg's head and speaks to me?
31.gif
Just kidding!!!
9.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 10:11:18 PM
Author: Mara

LMAO & checking Mara''s forehead for fever.
37.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I think to some extent, everyone gets a little ring envy. My ring envy manifests itsself a bit differently than most, though. Instead of wanting a bigger and bigger diamond (as in upgrades) I keep seeing all these different rings, and I just want more rings! My priorities are more in line with keeping to modest sized stones, and having more of them so that I have several options for actual wearing. Does that make sense?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 10:11:18 PM
Author: Mara
daydreaming about maybe having something like it down the line or what you would do if you had $$$ to play around with...but I don't go to sleep thinking about rings.
Daydreaming is the key word here. . .lol! I've always loved jewelry and when I happened upon this site, it was a dream come true. Talking about diamonds ALL DAY LONG
9.gif

But, once the initial exitement wore off, I realized that it's easy to think I want it all, but in reality, I really don't want it all. I love having a few pieces to wear, but this is all I need. It freaks me out that people would choose a diamond over a down payment on a house (or would choose to work a job they don't like just to buy pretty little stones)! Everyone has different priorities, but regardless, we're here to look and oooh, ahhhh and enjoy the eye candy and this is what being here SHOULD BE about.

It's nice too that everyone has such beautiful diamonds because before window shopping here, I would look at the mall and we all know what the rings there are like.
6.gif
lol

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think envy is quite the right word to describe my feelings. I truly enjoy seeing all the beautiful rings posted here. I see them and try to imagine whether that would be somethine I would wear. Sometimes a beautiful ring will take my breath away, and I think, "boy do I wish I had that." But then reality hits, and I realize that what I have is pretty darn nice. Where I live, it''s over the top. So although I may gasp when someone posts an super-ideal 4 ct something or other, it''s not something I covet for myself . . . . . even if I were to win the lotto and could afford it.
28.gif

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I used to be obsessed with finding that one PERFECT lipgloss, and pair of jeans. I was on a constant quest, and bought every possible contender in sight. I just knew that somewhere out there there was that ONE. But, every time I found that ONE, the novelty wore off and I began the hunt again. I realized that it''s not actually the prospect of getting the perfect one, but just the thrill of the hunt that drew me in! I would never be totally satsfied, because there was no perfect one out there and I would always want to keep looking just for fun.

Anyhow, now the same obsessive feelings are directed at jewelery. Luckily, I can''t afford to go out and buy every possible contender for "dream ring". And, I''m glad that when we actually buy the ring, I''ll know that there''s no such real thing for me as the one dream ring. I''ll just focus on finding one that really suits me and love it for what it is. I know me and no matter what I get, there will always be other rings that seem cooler at first, and that I want for, but I won''t let it make me feel bad about the one I''ve chosen, because I''ll know that even if I had that other ring I wouldn''t be 100% satisfied with it and would keep my eyes open. Just a sick hobby of mine!!!

It''s like the whole saying about being committed in a realtionship, that just because you can''t order anything doesn''t mean you can''t look at the menu. Just because you''re not in the market for a new ring doesn''t mean you can''t pretend you are from time to time just for fun!

Over the year or so that I''ve been looking at rings online, I''ve had about 200 different rings saved and later deleted that I was sure were "the one". I always lose interest after a couple of months and move on to something else.

I''m totally rambling and not making much sense, but my point is really that probably none of us are ever 100% satsfied and mentally off the market for jewelry, even if we''re off the market for all practical purposes! We''re all always looking, but often more out of curiosity and appreciation and planning for the distant future than anything else. I don''t think it''s about jealousy, but just about that mental "quest" for the perfect ring for you, even though for a lot of us there''s no such thing because we appreciate them all too much!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 8:12:54 PM
Author: katrina_33
We''re all always looking, but often more out of curiosity and appreciation and planning for the distant future than anything else.  I don''t think it''s about jealousy, but just about that mental ''quest'' for the perfect ring for you, even though for a lot of us there''s no such thing because we appreciate them all too much!

So true! Well said!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results