shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring designs that let in lots of light?

M

maru8888777

Hello! I am wanting to set a sapphire into a ring. It's roundish, about 7mm and on somewhere between cornflower and velvet in the color spectrum. I want a simple design that will allow for it to get lots of light (so no bezel). Any suggestions? Thank you!

Ooooo I look forward to seeing the stone! So will you be setting it as a solitaire, halo, or 3-stone, etc.? To let the most light in would be to have it as a solitaire (though you can put diamonds on the shoulders/shank) or a 3 or 5-stone design, where the center sapphire is a bit raised above the 2 or 4 side stones. Naturally, light coming in from all sides will brighten the gem more than just coming in from 2 sides of the gallery. A halo typically does not let in as much light.

M

maru8888777

Ooooo I look forward to seeing the stone! So will you be setting it as a solitaire, halo, or 3-stone, etc.? To let the most light in would be to have it as a solitaire (though you can put diamonds on the shoulders/shank) or a 3 or 5-stone design, where the center sapphire is a bit raised above the 2 or 4 side stones. Naturally, light coming in from all sides will brighten the gem more than just coming in from 2 sides of the gallery. A halo typically does not let in as much light.

Thank you! I don't have the stone or I'd post a picture :). I am looking to set it in a solitaire, preferably, in high carat yellow gold to bring out the blue, but haven't decided on the gallery, prong positions, etc.

In that case, something traditional like this might be your better bet:

11871134_03.jpg Here's something a bit less common:

81Kcvf8OeGL._AC_UY350_.jpg

This one is very creative... it's a clutch mounting. So it has a half bezel with 2 sides open and an airy gallery. It let's a lot more light in that your typical full bezel.

IMG_3652_Edited.jpg

M

maru8888777

I tend to feel that the more intricate the gallery, the less light play you're going to have. But others may have better ideas for something a bit more elaborate. The samples I shared are fairly simple, which may not interest you. Good luck!
I love those designs! I was thinking of a way to make the ring pop a little more (like that third design), but it does need all of the light it can get. I was looking at some Kataoka settings which tend to be pretty minimalist, but these are wonderful ideas. Thank you!

I love those designs! I was thinking of a way to make the ring pop a little more (like that third design), but it does need all of the light it can get. I was looking at some Kataoka settings which tend to be pretty minimalist, but these are wonderful ideas. Thank you!

1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif
Glad I could assist a little. Please share the sapphire once it arrives!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, do share a picture of the stone when it arrives. If it has a window, we can advise designs that can close it up on the bottom. A lot of these open bottom galleries presume you have a perfectly cut stone.

M

maru8888777

That's a really good point @peacechick. It's not precision cut, that's for sure...

M

maru8888777

Now I'm trying to set the other sapphire pictured... I've reached out to Yvonne about her Edwardian setting. Will that be too dark?

M

maru8888777

I put my cornflower blue sapphire in a crown setting to let the light in. I chose eight prongs, but most people choose six. IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4666.jpg
IMG_4660.jpg

I love how you set it! I think I would have very much liked that, but went with a different design and now the light doesn't go through the bottom all that well. The sapphire still performs well, though, but I do wonder if I'll reset it later... for my second sapphire, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Here's the set sapphire being especially glowy (I included a close up in fluorescent light at night above) tempImageubV4g0.png

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I love how you set it! I think I would have very much liked that, but went with a different design and now the light doesn't go through the bottom all that well. The sapphire still performs well, though, but I do wonder if I'll reset it later... for my second sapphire, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Here's the set sapphire being especially glowy (I included a close up in fluorescent light at night above) tempImageubV4g0.png

Maru, your sapphire is heavenly, and I love the way the diamonds in the band set it off. It looks like it's getting plenty of light.

M

maru8888777

Maru, your sapphire is heavenly, and I love the way the diamonds in the band set it off. It looks like it's getting plenty of light.

I used your picture as a model for the color I wanted! Mine is "velvet" but it has a similar glow (not size, though :)).

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I used your picture as a model for the color I wanted! Mine is "velvet" but it has a similar glow (not size, though :)).

Maru, do you have a thread about this gorgeous ring? I looked, but couldn't find one.

I see that your new sapphire is a longish cushion, so a crown setting might not work so well after all. Maybe something along the lines of Daniel M's "U-prong" setting? Here's my squarish cushion-shaped spessartite set that way:

IMG_5229.jpg
IMG_5233.jpg
IMG_5234.jpg

M

maru8888777

I don't have threads for rings! This was a sapphire I purchased from higems and he made the ring. The other cornflower sapphire is from Adamant.

I love that u-prong setting on your spess! I just always feared working with Daniel M because he seemed so very busy. I was thinking of having Yvonne Raley make a setting for me to change up the pace a bit, but wasn't sure if the sapphire would get enough light. The u-prong definitely seems like a contender, though! What a beautiful spess!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have threads for rings! This was a sapphire I purchased from higems and he made the ring. The other cornflower sapphire is from Adamant.

I love that u-prong setting on your spess! I just always feared working with Daniel M because he seemed so very busy. I was thinking of having Yvonne Raley make a setting for me to change up the pace a bit, but wasn't sure if the sapphire would get enough light. The u-prong definitely seems like a contender, though! What a beautiful spess!

I've worked with Yvonne and Daniel M and have had excellent results from both shops. Some people have had to wait a very long time for Dan to finish their projects, so it's best not to be in a hurry if using him . His prices are better, but Yvonne can achieve very high end finishes from her craftspeople in NYC.

Either could make you a setting that allows plenty of light to reach your sapphire :)

M

maru8888777

I've worked with Yvonne and Daniel M and have had excellent results from both shops. Some people have had to wait a very long time for Dan to finish their projects, so it's best not to be in a hurry if using him . His prices are better, but Yvonne can achieve very high end finishes from her craftspeople in NYC.

Either could make you a setting that allows plenty of light to reach your sapphire :)

Thank you for the reassurance! They both do make beautiful work.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that yvonne doesnt set outside stones, just fyi

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In that case, something traditional like this might be your better bet:

11871134_03.jpg Here's something a bit less common:

81Kcvf8OeGL._AC_UY350_.jpg

This one is very creative... it's a clutch mounting. So it has a half bezel with 2 sides open and an airy gallery. It let's a lot more light in that your typical full bezel.

IMG_3652_Edited.jpg
i love this setting with the diamonds like that
im not a halo girl at all

that hand model has great nails

just sayin' :lol-2:

M

maru8888777

I want to see if my stone will fit into Yvonne's Edwardian setting. Will little demantoids on the side make it impossible to wear the ring daily? Should I go for something tougher?

1668279441659.png

I want to see if my stone will fit into Yvonne's Edwardian setting. Will little demantoids on the side make it impossible to wear the ring daily? Should I go for something tougher?

1668279441659.png

Some will steer clear of anything less than an 8 for daily wear. But, for me, I don't really worry about accent stones, as long as the hardness is reasonable and the toughness/tenacity is good. They also need to be set by a competent professional (like Yvonne). Gem grade demantoid is a 7 Mohs. I wouldn't hesitate, but that's just me. :)

M

maru8888777

Some will steer clear of anything less than an 8 for daily wear. But, for me, I don't really worry about accent stones, as long as the hardness is reasonable and the toughness/tenacity is good. They also need to be set by a competent professional (like Yvonne). Gem grade demantoid is a 7 Mohs. I wouldn't hesitate, but that's just me. :)

I'm not especially tough on my rings, and already had the sapphire/diamond ring that I'd set (shown above), so this would be a different look. Her demantoids are very bright, too!

I'm not especially tough on my rings, and already had the sapphire/diamond ring that I'd set (shown above), so this would be a different look. Her demantoids are very bright, too!

Yvonne has some fantastic melee you simply can't find anywhere else. I, too, am very easy on my jewelry, so my experience is based on that. My mother is reallllllly hard on her jewelry. I cringe! But it makes her happy. She thinks it's silly that I baby mine to such a degree. Different strokes, I suppose!

M

maru8888777

How does this look (this is the silver mold)? I was thinking high carat rose or yellow gold and demantoids on the side? I could also do pink spinels or sapphires.... or nothing and just pretty engraving!
IMG_1936.jpeg

How does this look (this is the silver mold)? I was thinking high carat rose or yellow gold and demantoids on the side? I could also do pink spinels or sapphires.... or nothing and just pretty engraving!
IMG_1936.jpeg

A silver mold?! Wow, I only got a plastic one. :lol-2: So cool... anyway, love the mounting! I would personally add really high-grade demantoid accents. I am a BIG fan of blue and green together. But I love the etching too. You can't go wrong. This is going to be beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results