shape
carat
color
clarity

ring design question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
OK, warning, this is a basic question, but if you dont ask you dont learn
26.gif
. In the eternity bands I have been looking at on the inside of the ring some (most) have a small circular hole / opening where the diamond sits on the other side. what is the purpose of this? Is that to make the ring lighter, less metal? Is it to allow the ring to get cleaned better as you get to the diamonds from the bottom, or does it make it worse as dirt gets more easier trapped in from the underside. I have attached a post of one ring that shows this - but I am not refering to just this ring, but in general styles like this that have this feature. I have been looking at one particular ring that doesnt have the holes, but I have seen them everywhere, so now I guess I am wondering is it a design flaw not to have them?? Hope that makes sense, and thanks for educating us newbies.
36.gif

6748.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the reasons the holes exist is to help with cleaning out the band. Without the holes, it would be very difficult to get in under the stones where buildup occurs. I''m not sure if there is a structural reason for the holes or not. Hopefully someone else can answer the question.

I think it''s probably best that you buy one of these bands with the holes instead of trying to find one without. The feeling on your finger should feel about the same and the look will be as well. Is there a specific reason you do not like the holes?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1, in 5 years 1/2 of the diamonds surface will look dead with the dirt build up
2. if you buy a ring like the one you posted and wear it beside a solitaire it will chomp thru the ring like a pac man and you will loose the solitaire diamond
3. square holes, or ''s'' shaped holes look nicer
4. in a hand made ring it takes more labor to drill the hole than the value of the drillings

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Thanks for your quick replies.

Kcoursolle, I dont have a preference either way, I have just noticed this (I think I have been focusing so much on the diamonds, I didnt pay enough attention to the underside of the rings
20.gif
. But what both you and Garry H say makes a lot of sense re cleaning the ring and keeping it clean. Hmm, more to ponder, this finding an eternity ring thing is turning into a never ending quest
23.gif
. The ring I have been having problems with (stone wise) does not have the holes in the underside, and never really thought about it before until recently. Will have to see if they can put the holes in, if I decided to go with the ring.

Garry H not sure about your last comment (4), would you say it is not worth getting the holes put in if I like the ring?, can the holes be drilled in later after the ring was made with the diamonds still intact down the track if the ring does have issues with keeping clean?

Thanks again, any further insight comments always appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results