shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring design issues- original or copy?

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
A few months ago we went to New York to look at the setting that my girlfriend likes. The place we went to was the only place that offers this setting on line it is unique to them. So I shopped around for a stone and eventually bought one from an online Jeweler out of Florida area for the best price. they told me they can make the same ring for a few hundred dollars less. Now this ring has filigree and milligram in the band itself, it is detailed, and i asked for small pave stones on the side to be replaced with engraving. I was told it would take up to 8 business days to get a rendering. I asked for an update on the 5th business day, i was told that the master designer didnt like the other designers design, ao they were going to redo it. On the 10th business day i received it, and it was not what i requested. I was pretty clear in my emails of what i wanted. Anyway, ive waited a few days since then, no updated rendering. I requested them to send the stone to my original jeweler i started with. The master designer contacted me and said that they would like me to wait and see what thwy come up with, that what they provide will be much better quality. I dont know how the quality could be better when the ring was already designed and made elsewhere. And how could they be a 500 cheaper? Are prices in nyc that much more? What do you think? I think id feel better going with nyc since its somewhat local, but am i being ripped off? Is it appropriate to copy anothers design?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a photo of the original setting?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they're only a couple hundred less, why not just buy the original? [emoji848]

No worries, no hassle, no regrets.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds totally sketchy to me. Run.

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
Both have good reviews.

es831-2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you could post pictures of the inspiration and of what they came up with that would be helpful.

I would not go custom unless I was sure they could do the work or, if the quality of the setting I found was not up to standards
but I liked the design.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the original - you'll thank yourself in the long run.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The open work on that shank is likely to cause problems, so I would want to make it with a solid shank with engraving instead. A solid shank will be far more durable.

I think custom is fine, but never with an unknown jeweler whose work you really have not seen.

Yes, prices can vary widely. For example, a branded setting like Tacori can be $7500 and you could have a similar ring made for half that much. If you get three quotes from different ring makers, you could easily get quotes $500 apart especially if the setting is expensive.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the setting is high quality.

But if she loves it, just get the original.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1469162531|4058240 said:
I don't think the setting is high quality.

But if she loves it, just get the original.

Ditto.

Look at it this way - the original designer has probably made this design many times, knows all the potential pitfalls and how to avoid them, and has worked out problems like making sure the proportions, angles, etc. remain correct as you change stone or ring size. On a complicated design like this one, especially, you're almost asking for trouble if you expect someone else to replicate it and "get it right" the first time. That's probably why the cost estimate for the knock-off is so close to the cost of the original. And if the new jeweler is telling you that they don't like a design you're asking them to make... not a good sign if you and your GF have already shopped around and chosen that design!

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469161407|4058233 said:
The open work on that shank is likely to cause problems, so I would want to make it with a solid shank with engraving instead. A solid shank will be far more durable.

Thanks- is a ring like this totally not durable because if the openings? Is it likely to bend or break? I suppose i can ask them to do some engraved filigree, but im not sure how that will affect the price. She mainly likes the ring because of what you see under the 3 stones, and the antique feel.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yikes, I'd walk away from this custom job. They are already giving you the run around. If you really want custom and want it to be economical, go with David Klass. He doesn't have a website but he's based in LA and has a big Facebook presence. Lots of Pricescopers have used him for custom work and he doesn't disappoint. Prices are reasonable for what he can do--definitely has skill with vintage-inspired designs. Or, as other posters have repeated, go with the original.

Run, don't walk.

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
By the way, the image i had uploaded is the original. I saw the cast in person, and it seemed pretty solid.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The "original" looks like a knock-off Tacori design to me: http://www.tacori.com/ht232612x

If the original is exactly what she wants, then just buy it. So much easier than custom.

Edited to add: is the original by Gabriel and Co? We frequently recommend their settings to people looking for antique feel with reasonable prices.

tacori-engagement-rings-ht232612x_20_5.jpg

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
That tacori is 4 times the price. No, not from gabriel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results