shape
carat
color
clarity

RIng Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
How often do you all clean your e-rings? I clean mine once per day...although sometimes twice per day. I live in So. Cal and I always have sun block on and it smudges my ring...Is twice per day too much?

It is new....
emwink.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I used to clean mine all the time when it was new! Now that I've been married over 2 years, I barely clean it. I went to the jeweler the other day to get my prongs checked and they cleaned my rings. I can't believe how much better they look!

But to answer your question, I don't think 2x a day is too much if you're not being abrasive. But why not just do it every night? That's more likely to be something you'll stick with long-term, know what I mean?

Oh and it's new! Congratulations!!!!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I clean mine aabout every 2 to 3 days...I agree that being in So. Cal that the water conditions are so hard that after washing my hands in a bathroom that my stones are marred by water spots!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I wash mine every time I put it on, so if I take it off at night that morning while I am taking the puppy for a quick turn around the block or brushing my teeth. But I know what you mean, thing are just so much more shiny when they are clean.
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every morning while I am in the bath. Has been fine and it keeps it looking great. Grease builds up easily I find, so I prefer to stop it in it''s tracks. If you type ring cleaning in the above search tool, you will find lots of advice and see that many ladies clean daily without any problems. This seems to be a common question and you will be spoilt for choice with the different methods people use. I use windex, jewelry cleaner or ammonia and hot water depending on how dirty it is. Also drying it with a hairdryer, which I learned here , finishes it off well. Enjoy your new ring!

newtodiamonds

Rough_Rock
How do you clean the ring in windex? Just spray it on and brush it, or do you soak it? and when a brush is used, what is the ideal kind of brush? a toothbrush, or something specific for cleaning a diamond platinum ring?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2005 6:35:56 AM
Author: newtodiamonds
How do you clean the ring in windex? Just spray it on and brush it, or do you soak it? and when a brush is used, what is the ideal kind of brush? a toothbrush, or something specific for cleaning a diamond platinum ring?
Either or. You can spray the diamond with windex, brush with a baby''s toothbrush or small soft jewelry brush, rinse, dry and go. Or soak in neat windex for a few minutes and follow rest of procedure. Personally i don''t like those stiff little brushes that come with some jewelry cleaners as they are too harsh and don''t do the best job, I find a small soft toothbrush the best. Don''t forget to give the diamond''s pavillion a good clean to keep that sparkle. I don''t know if anyone else does this, but I also find a small wooden cocktail stick or wooden toothpick used very gently is good for cleaning the pavillion and around the setting.

newtodiamonds

Rough_Rock
I hope this doesn''t sound stupid, but is there a specific type of windex to use? I have heard some people saying if you soak it too long it can actually cause the jewelry to turn blue!!? and if you soak the ring, do you only use windex, or add some water, etc.?

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I can''t believe that a diamond would turn blue from windex! I would think you would have a major problem on your hands if it did. Can anyone shed some light here?
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2005 3:32:08 PM
Author: newtodiamonds
I hope this doesn''t sound stupid, but is there a specific type of windex to use? I have heard some people saying if you soak it too long it can actually cause the jewelry to turn blue!!? and if you soak the ring, do you only use windex, or add some water, etc.?
Never heard of this one unless people forget to rinse the diamond afterwards. I use plain old blue windex on my diamond, undiluted, soaked or sprayed and my diamond has never turned blue.
6.gif
I also have a branded jewelry cleaner that looks and smells just the same as windex and that has been fine too. The only things I can think of is that maybe if there is dirt left around the stone or setting, esp grease, maybe that might look blue and should scrub off. There are many ladies on PS who use windex to clean and I am sure they would let everyone know if they had problems with it. If you are worried, maybe use a different method to clean such as washing up liquid and warm water.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I heard once that the diamond will only turn blue (and it''s not a permanent thing, you just need to re-wash) if you leave it in the windex overnight ( many hours). I clean mine in a mixture of windex (with ammonia, very important that it has that as that is what really cleans it) and warm water. I let them soak in that for 5 -10 minutes. Then I take a soft toothbrush and gently scrub the rings. I then rinse them under lukewarm water in the sink WITH THE SINK PLUGGED. don''t forget that last part, as you can drop the ring down the drain, or, you may lose a diamond if it is loose while you are rinsing it and the diamond will go down the drain. Either way, not good!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irisheyes, just curious, doesnt all windex contain ammonia? With the ones I can get here in the UK just wondered if there are any new ones that don''t? I love discovering new cleaning products
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results