shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Appraisal

BBF02

Rough_Rock
Does a forged ring from a jeweler like Victor Canera hold its value better than rings that are bought from larger designers like Tacori or Verragio? Also, if I buy a H&A diamond, will this be factored into a future appraisal price of the ring? Are there any other benefits of buying a H&A diamond, other than for the visual aspect?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does a forged ring from a jeweler like Victor Canera hold its value better than rings that are bought from larger designers like Tacori or Verragio? Also, if I buy a H&A diamond, will this be factored into a future appraisal price of the ring? Are there any other benefits of buying a H&A diamond, other than for the visual aspect?
Shares etc are safer investments. But a hand forged ring can have advantages of durability.
Almost all Tiffany rings are cast not forged.
90% of H&A's look better than 90% of GIA XXX

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most appraisals are an estimate of what you could reasonably expect it to cost to replace it with another of like kind and quality, new, at retail. There are lots of important buzzwords in that but for designer type things it's pretty straightforward. A knockoff is not ‘like kind’. What would Victor charge to make another one? Is that going up, down, or sideways?

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Most appraisals are an estimate of what you could reasonably expect it to cost to replace it with another of like kind and quality, new, at retail. There are lots of important buzzwords in that but for designer type things it's pretty straightforward. A knockoff is not ‘like kind’. What would Victor charge to make another one? Is that going up, down, or sideways?

That is just how it has played out with our client losses insured by JM Consumer Division.

BBF02

Rough_Rock
Most appraisals are an estimate of what you could reasonably expect it to cost to replace it with another of like kind and quality, new, at retail. There are lots of important buzzwords in that but for designer type things it's pretty straightforward. A knockoff is not ‘like kind’. What would Victor charge to make another one? Is that going up, down, or

BBF02

Rough_Rock
What would be the best way to insure a Victor Canera ring with a H&A diamond to ensure that I will receive what’s it’s actually worth if the ring was ever lost or stolen?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
When you take out your insurance policy for your ring, you have to be very specific in your description of what you have. For my diamond, I copied everything from my GIA cert H&A, all angles and measurements, that it was laser inscribed, color, clarity, carats etc. I would think that for your VC ring, he could provide you with specifics about the ring he made for you (shank width/height, if you get pave-the quality of the diamonds used, how many, their mm size etc.) metal used and the fact that it was hand forged. This is how you get a replacement with like kind. HTH

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appraisals for insurance value have to reflect the value of the design / workmanship so that a replacement piece can be purchased / remade for the sum insured.
Appraisals for the purpose of resale value are another matter entirely.
Your taste and the added on costs (retail purchase plus taxes) can’t be recouped at resale. Some setting designs also aren’t easily resized.
So in terms of “will I get more at resale for a designer piece than standard shop style?” Perhaps but it will still be less than your purchase price.
Same with diamonds, the price you pay is usually retail plus taxes, so resale price will be less unless the diamond is unique and desirable.
If you want a ring that holds its “value” better, buy preloved. All things being equal, value as second hand is the same as third or fourth hand.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Read the description section of your appraisal and look at the photographs provided. That will become what amounts to the purchase order for the replacement. I include a photograph of the designer's mark as one of the specifications. To be 'like kind' it needs to contain that mark. If the insurer wants to hire a knockoff artist, and the knockoff is willing to include that mark, they really should chat with Victor's lawyer about that. I include the entirety of the lab document as well. In reality, most of the major insurers are pretty good about this. If the data is in there, they'll try to use it. Unless they have a really good reason why not to buy a piece from the original designer (like the designer is dead at the time of replacement) that's what they'll try to do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results