shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring and Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
Ok all, I am proposing in Cancun this weekend on vacation, and I wanted to know if my platinum ring will set off the metal detector. If so, I am trying to think of a crafty way I can get my girlfriend to go through and me meet her at the gate so I can hand the ring to a security inspector instead of me carrying it through. I can just tell her I have to use the bathroom I guess.

Also, the x-ray won''t do any damage I presume. I can''t see how it would. If anyone has any experience with this and can offer some feedback, I''d appreciate it! Thanks!

Kiz

Rough_Rock
I proposed in paris about a month ago and I had the same concerns with my platinum ring. Here is what i did; I bought a Money/Passport belt that you put around your waist under your clothes, I then packed the ring box in my carry on and put the ring in two small ring pouches. Put the pouches in the belt and when you're going through security, all you have to do is take the belt off and put it through exray. Worked like a charm and the ring was on me at all times. Good luck in Cancun!!
1.gif

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
I just did it this weekend... Carried the ring through Security and proposed.

I left the ring box at home and wrapped the ring in tissue paper and carried it in my front pocket and it didn't set off the detector at all. Nor did it set the detector off when coming back through while on my fiance's hand. So the ring itself will not set off he ring. The box itself if you pack it, no idea. I didn't want to risk it and kept it at home. Being a small, empty box, I would be concerned they would want to inspect it to make sure it is not anything but a plain, empty box, etc.

My brass collar stays got my bag searched... The saw it through x-ray and they opened my bag to look at it to make sure. I would have died if they did that with a ring box, etc. So I didn't want to risk it. That's me though.
1.gif

Good luck!

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking at a platinum ring as well. Based on your experience, I might just wear cargo pants and stick the ring (in the ring box) in one of the large side pockets. I still should check with customs just in case since I'll be traveling internationally...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
For the first time, I left on both my white gold wedding set and the platinum ring I wear on my right hand, and got through without settting off the metal detector.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
So it seems platinum does not set off the beeper. My luck it will..I like the money belt idea, and the front pocket idea. I think I will pack the box regardless in my checked baggage, to avoid them opening it and searching it by hand. That would totally blow my cover. I am going through security in Philadelphia which I haven't done since 9/11. I usually go through Newark and they vary with their scrutiny of carry on items. It changes weekly.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Just as an FYI...

I travel a lot, and my jewelry has never set off the alarm. I typically were a stainless Rolex, a platinum ring, white gold earrings, and sometimes a necklace. I'd take the care you are talking about, but I wouldn't sweat it . Also, it you put the ring in your coat pocket, they have you put coats thru the screener now, so that should be fine.
good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results