shape
carat
color
clarity

Rikitea Strand:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Lovinggems, thank you so much for posting your Cherry Rikitea strand ... it was one of my favorites, and so glad to see photos here. Your new double drop earrings are dreamy, and just perfect!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Lovinggems, you made those earrings? Wow, that's impressive. I would dare doing something like that for fear of ruining the pearls. And the stones. And the fillings... They are very pretty!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone for your kind words, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas filled with lots of happiness, and pearls!
Tucs the wires are very soft I can bend it with fingers, looks more impressive than it really is. :shifty:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I really like the earrings you created, LG.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Kay!
Merry Chrismas!
I am looking forward to more photos of your beautiful midnight blues. :dance:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Playing around with my Rikitea blues today. Here is a comparison shot of mine with the PP blog photo of the Rikitea blues.

First up, the PP wave photo of the Rikitea blues. I called the fourth strand from the top as 1554, the blue strand I chose.

Next, my strand.

A comparison between the two photos. Notice the dark center pearl and the pearl with the intense cherry halo over three to the left from it.

Finally, on the neck. You should be able to pick out the big shiny dark center pearl, the two more silvery toned ones just to the left, then the pearl with the cherry halo next on the left.

_25586.jpg

blue_9775.jpg

bluewave9775.jpg

blue_9751.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
More photos of the Rikitea blue with other Tahitian strands.

Sometimes, the blue doesn't look so blue, until you put it next to other Tahitians. Then the distinctive blue tones are much more apparent.

Here are a couple of shots of the blues with my reddish toned Tahitians I purchased from PP a year ago. I'm thinking I could add a white strand to celebrate the Fourth of July next summer. :bigsmile:

Finally, a shot in the white box of the Rikitea blues, the PP reddish-aubergine Tahitians are around them, and on the bottom the green bodied drop strand of Rikitea pearls from the August PP Tahitian sale.

blue_9761.jpg

blue_9756.jpg

blue_9767.jpg

katkashmir

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous comparison shots - kinda makes me wish I had kept 1559 strand.... I just keep going back to multicolors since I can't make a commitment to a single color strand. :errrr:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
katkashmir|1419739299|3808576 said:
Gorgeous comparison shots - kinda makes me wish I had kept 1559 strand.... I just keep going back to multicolors since I can't make a commitment to a single color strand. :errrr:
I know, it is quite a commitment, isn't it? ;( 1559 is so similar to 1554 that I wish I could make a double, but that commitment thing raises its head... :sick: :wacko:

I am fortunate to already own a multicolor, and in fact, I prefer to wear my multicolor Tahitian bracelet with this strand, rather than getting a blue bracelet. All those different colors are a delight to the eye. :cheeky:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl - great comparison shots! Thank you for the Black connecting lines, so helpful! I love your different comparisons and your explanations.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great photos Fly Girl, I've been checking the forum frequently hoping to see some new photos and you did not disappoint :appl: . I would love to see neck shots of the remaining Rikitea strands, anyone visiting Pearl Paradise 's office soon?
There's a gorgeous white and gold strand on the sale page at the moment, but seeing IcyJade's spectacular Golay pearls I think I should save my pearl money for a Singapore trip.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you enjoyed these, bsomlo and LG.

When I compare the PP blog photo strands, note that the lighter blue-grey pearls on my strand are very similar to the bottom strand, which I think is 1565, the unsold blue-grey Rikitea strand. Given that 1565 also has the dark blue body color, I expect that it is a stunning strand in person. Blue body with silver overtones. A very unique and beautiful combo and different than the usual grey body Tahitian pearl. Now that I see them in person, I find I like those pearls on my strand very much.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1419741253|3808588 said:
There's a gorgeous white and gold strand on the sale page at the moment, but seeing IcyJade's spectacular Golay pearls I think I should save my pearl money for a Singapore trip.

:D

Or Japan. I think the pearls are sourced from Andy Mueller/Hinata Trading...

If you do plan a visit to Singapore, then best to coincide with one of the local jewelry/gem fairs in July or October each year. Then you can also see the spectacular ssps n akoyas from the japanese wholesalers at the fair. Plus Golay tends to bring in more stock for the fairs I think, so that's when you can see a lot more pearls than usual.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl, thank you so much for the ever so helpful comparison detail shots ... I still love your new blue Rikiteas!

Icy_Jade, that sounds like a dreamy trip!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Those are wonderful, Fly Girl!

And ever since I got my baroque Tahitian strand, I've been noticing that those with Tahitian strands seem to have more than one. Hmmm... :naughty:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl - Thanks so much for sharing your comparison photos! It helps me "see" the differences between the various pearls! And great collection btw!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1419772121|3808664 said:
Lovinggems|1419741253|3808588 said:

:D

Or Japan. I think the pearls are sourced from Andy Mueller/Hinata Trading...

If you do plan a visit to Singapore, then best to coincide with one of the local jewelry/gem fairs in July or October each year. Then you can also see the spectacular ssps n akoyas from the japanese wholesalers at the fair. Plus Golay tends to bring in more stock for the fairs I think, so that's when you can see a lot more pearls than usual.

Thanks for the tips! Is the October fair larger? I've been reading all your threads and your pearls are spectacular. I don't think I will go to Japan again and I don't speak any Japanese, I had trouble just buying a pair of jeans there, I do love the Andy Mueller designs though. :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Currently there are three Rikitea blue strands for sale at PP. They are 1565, 1559 (a recent return), and now 1549 is back up.

Interestingly, the glamour shot for the beautiful 1549 is different. It appears that the strand has been rephotographed with the strand laying in the opposite direction. The two beautiful center pearls are very distinctive in all of the photos. Number 21 has the strong cherry overtones and the big deep blue-green center pearl number 22 (out of a total of 43 pearls) is next to it.

I'm adding the photo from the Rikitea Blues Wave blog photo as well with the pearls numbered. I think it is instructive to see how much the colors appear to vary, even when photographed by the same vendor.

pp1549.jpg

pp1549a.jpg

pp1549d.jpg

bluepearlsno3.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
You are incredible.

Happy, healthy New Year to you, my dear!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
That's an amazing piece of pearl detective work, Fly Girl! The color variation is astounding, and makes me even more certain I need to see Tahitians in person LOL ... I'm hopeless at anticipating true colors ... or the reality, which is there are no true colors, as these magical pearls will change with every sunbeam, moonbeam and reflection ... no wonder we find them so mesmerizing!

Happy Happy New Year to all my Pearl Friends!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful analysis FlyGirl.
I agree CRdkeshi, even though I really like my cherry strand for the next one I hope to be able to choose it myself in real life, nothing beats trying on beautiful pearls in person, I am also tired of dealing with shipping issues. :errrr:
I have a serious case of envy of those living near wonderful pearl stores and markets.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
FlyGirl I am curious, is your strand blemish free or you find some blemishes on individual pearls?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1420083060|3810340 said:
FlyGirl I am curious, is your strand blemish free or you find some blemishes on individual pearls?
I see between 0 to 3 tiny blemishes per pearl. Most have one or two. Also, about 5 pearls lean more grey body, while the rest are truly a dark blue. In fact, one of the larger front pearls is grey body on one side, and bluer on the other. Overall, the luster is quite lovely.

I should also add that the strand I received had two more pearls than the glamour photos. Along with the equestrian clasp, this gives the strand a bit more length, which I like.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1420083525|3810345 said:
Lovinggems|1420083060|3810340 said:
I see between 0 to 3 tiny blemishes per pearl. Most have one or two. Also, about 5 pearls lean more grey body, while the rest are truly a dark blue. In fact, one of the larger front pearls is grey body on one side, and bluer on the other. Overall, the luster is quite lovely.

I should also add that the strand I received had two more pearls than the glamour photos. Along with the equestrian clasp, this gives the strand a bit more length, which I like.

Thanks for your observations, I really enjoy reading your mini Rikitea 'blog'. It would be nice to see a blue strand and study it thoroughly in person but I have other pearly desires to meet with my budget. :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1420073728|3810282 said:
Currently there are three Rikitea blue strands for sale at PP. They are 1565, 1559 (a recent return), and now 1549 is back up.

There are four now: 1545 is back. These seem to have had an unusually high rate of returns. I wonder if it's an issue of colour or size, as the luster and level of blemishing based on the photos seems fantastic.

katkashmir

Rough_Rock
[/quote]

There are four now: 1545 is back. These seem to have had an unusually high rate of returns. I wonder if it's an issue of colour or size, as the luster and level of blemishing based on the photos seems fantastic.[/quote]

I returned my strand - the 1559 one simply because I really wanted larger pearls. They were quite gorgeous otherwise. Somedays, I wish that I hadn't returned them, as it seems like the only pearls I like based on color and luster tend to be smallish.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are quite petite. I suspect that is a draw for some, but might not suit others. It's the curse of pearls that the smaller ones are often the most beautiful in terms of colour and luster.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1423317606|3828709 said:
They are quite petite. I suspect that is a draw for some, but might not suit others. It's the curse of pearls that the smaller ones are often the most beautiful in terms of colour and luster.

Wait, the strands are 8-10mm ... I wouldn't call those petite. Is this another case of PDD (pearl dysmorphia disorder)? :think:

I think 5 mm pearls are petite. Seed pearls are 4mm or smaller.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1423318332|3828719 said:

Wait, the strands are 8-10mm ... I wouldn't call those petite. Is this another case of PDD (pearl dysmorphia disorder)? :think:

I guess it's relative. For Akoyas/freshadamas these would be huge. I would think of these as being on the smaller side though for Tahitians...but I am used to larger baroque strands (mine tend to be in the 10-12mm range). So it probably is PDD.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1423318794|3828723 said:
ennui|1423318332|3828719 said:

I guess it's relative. For Akoyas/freshadamas these would be huge. I would think of these as being on the smaller side though for Tahitians...but I am used to larger baroque strands (mine tend to be in the 10-12mm range). So it probably is PDD.

I am just waiting for the day i look to my 10-12MM strands and think "Oh Lawd these are tiny" :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results