shape
carat
color
clarity

Rihanna's trashy necklace

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock
I don't think of myself as prude or old fashioned, but why on earth would ANYONE wear a necklace with that word on it. Come to think of it what kind of person would design such a thing???

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I must have missed something...what did she wear?? :confused:

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, I just looked it up online and now know what you're talking about. I have no idea, but I don't like Rihanna anyway. She seems kind of trashy and full of herself to me.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I just googled it...why would she do that?!?!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1315009060|3008703 said:
attention.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1315011206|3008722 said:
attention.

I agree swingirl. Talk about being desperate for attention. :rolleyes:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
attention.

Exactly, I saw the video for her single "S&M" recently, she really came across as a little vanilla girl seeking attention and the Shibari was a train wreck...
She seems lost, sad really.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just had to juggle it. Way to go rhianna-- trashy and distasteful!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Does she really need attention? She already gets a ton of it!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

attention.

First of all, for those still wondering what the necklace says, it's the "c "word. If a man had used it towards a woman, I'd be angry. What does it mean when a woman uses it? That I don't know. It may depend on the woman and the context. Naturally Rihanna did it for, "attention", but to what purpose? Just to catch the world's eye and make money? Because (as some posters implied) she is neurotic? Or because she is making some kind of political statement in the manner of Lenny Bruce and black rappers with the n word? (i.e. "You can't use the word c*nt to put me down. I own it.")

I'm not sure I agree that the necklace is necessarily trashy.

I don't know. I know the Beyoncé is pregnant and and so Rihanna won't remain signed with Jay-Z rumour. Could this be publicity to rival Beyoncé's announced pregnancy?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Meh. I don't really have a problem with it either way. I'm certainly not offended by it, nor would I wear it myself, but to each their own.

I was honestly kind of expecting something obscenely gigantic, the way you guys were discussing it. I'm shocked anyone even really noticed what it said.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
manderz|1315015871|3008769 said:
Meh. I don't really have a problem with it either way. I'm certainly not offended by it, nor would I wear it myself, but to each their own.

I was honestly kind of expecting something obscenely gigantic, the way you guys were discussing it. I'm shocked anyone even really noticed what it said.

DITTO!

That's a big fat ditto if you couldn't guess.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I haven't seen anyone wear profanity like that and I just think it's odd she would do that knowing she's photographed. So, she has some motivation there that I just think is odd and notable.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, but would anyone please explain to me what the rationale is behind posting such an obscure/vague thread???? Shouldn't the OP be expected to post a link to what they're referring to instead of having the community google/guess?! :confused:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I curse like a sailor, but the only word I won't say is "the C word," because I find it so highly offensive. I've been on the receiving end of that word as an insult, and very few things in my life have made me feel worse. I think it's in poor taste and done for attention.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1315017713|3008790 said:
I'm sorry, but would anyone please explain to me what the rationale is behind posting such an obscure/vague thread????

I'd be glad to, kama. :saint: New poster. Hasn't quite got the hang of things yet. No biggie.

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1315016455|3008777 said:

DITTO!

Ditto-I was expecting giant capital letters hanging off her neck!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1315024242|3008861 said:
davi_el_mejor|1315016455|3008777 said:

DITTO!

Ditto-I was expecting giant capital letters hanging off her neck!

True, offensive as it is, I was expecting something more akin to the Carrie necklace from Sex and the City.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My homeland was a country of fences. Fences, garage doors, lots of space for graffiti. But before civilization brought in graffiti, every square vertical surface would bear the word "pr.k" on it. Sometimes "c..t". Not a single wall, a single door, would be left unadorned.

Usually these were kids but I suspect some adults did it as well. To this day I do not know why. Just a reflex, I think. A blank space... has to be filled in with something. The first word that comes to mind is...

I feel nostalgic when I look at Rhianna's neck.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1315032122|3008896 said:
My homeland was a country of fences. Fences, garage doors, lots of space for graffiti. But before civilization brought in graffiti, every square vertical surface would bear the word "pr.k" on it. Sometimes "c..t". Not a single wall, a single door, would be left unadorned.

Usually these were kids but I suspect some adults did it as well. To this day I do not know why. Just a reflex, I think. A blank space... has to be filled in with something. The first word that comes to mind is...

crasru-

Before I opened this, I wondered what you were going to say. This was a fascinating and unexpected posting. Thanks for making it!

Deb

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1315041912|3008918 said:

crasru-

Before I opened this, I wondered what you were going to say. This was a fascinating and unexpected posting. Thanks for making it!

Deb

Agreed. Very interesting response.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kama_s said:
I'm sorry, but would anyone please explain to me what the rationale is behind posting such an obscure/vague thread???? Shouldn't the OP be expected to post a link to what they're referring to instead of having the community google/guess?! :confused:

The necklace says "C U Next Tuesday", but without my extra polite letters. :bigsmile:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Meh. If you go to Rihanna's facebook page and look at the pictures from her "Meet & Greets" with fans and see how excited, happy, and involved she is with them it makes me willing to overlook this.

Example: here

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure why anyone with half a brain would want to wear a necklace with those words on it but it's not my business I guess. Would I wear that necklace, no, but then again I am not needy for attention that way. I would say I feel sorry for her but I don't know her or follow anything about her so have no clue about her life. All I can say is I *think* she is showing poor judgment and perhaps setting a poor example for her fans who might be young (but I don't know since I don't know anything about her or her music).

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe anyone pays enough attention to Rihanna, or others like her, to know if she's wearing/saying/doing something trashy.

Simply put, she's a product of the crap she sells. Why should anyone be surprised?

When being outrageous is what gets your picture taken, and your visage all over the celebrity rags, then you do whatever it takes. Because talent isn't what we're talking about, after all. In fact, talent doesn't even open the right doors anymore. It takes posturing and attitude to be on top today. Everyone's a poseur.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1315055383|3008969 said:
Not sure why anyone with half a brain would want to wear a necklace with those words on it but it's not my business I guess. Would I wear that necklace, no, but then again I am not needy for attention that way. I would say I feel sorry for her but I don't know her or follow anything about her so have no clue about her life. All I can say is I *think* she is showing poor judgment and perhaps setting a poor example for her fans who might be young (but I don't know since I don't know anything about her or her music).

Pretty much this. I can see her thinking this necklace is so cool and tough, but in reality it's just sad.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Doesn't bother me. But I personally would not wear it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

hahaha... Nice.

Anyway, I totally don't see what the big deal is. Anyone ever heard of FCUK? Its brilliant? No, not really. Creative? Erm... Popular? Yes. Millions choose to wear it. Doesn't offend me either. Very little does. And if something actually does, I ask - does it concern me? Usually not.

I tend to reserve my indignation for things that I wish I could stop. Like animal cruelty. Forced amputation in africa etc. A necklace? Never.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of any of you who aren't shocked or don't care. Pop star does something shocking involving something to do with sex. Yawn as far as I'm concerned.

About the word, I'm ambivalent.

I've heard people say that it's in a special category of terribleness, but I'm not convinced, the more I think about it, that this could be true. Is it more offensive than the "f" word applied to gay men, for instance? Why on earth would I ever think so? (rhetorical question).

I'm not even sure I agree with people who say it's a word that should never be used. Guy Ritchie's "Star" mini-movie/ advertisement for BMW starring his then wife Madonna has this word in it. You can find this video on YouTube. This word is used in the first 30 seconds to a minute so anyone who's interested doesn't need to spend a lot of time to find it.

Does its use offend me in "Star"? No, it doesn't.

I don't think it's a word a man should call a woman IRL. Obviously, it wouldn't be respectful for a man to call a woman IRL this word.

However, I think Deb has made some excellent points. I think it's a matter of context.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1315074811|3009111 said:
I can't believe anyone pays enough attention to Rihanna, or others like her, to know if she's wearing/saying/doing something trashy.

Simply put, she's a product of the crap she sells. Why should anyone be surprised?

When being outrageous is what gets your picture taken, and your visage all over the celebrity rags, then you do whatever it takes. Because talent isn't what we're talking about, after all. In fact, talent doesn't even open the right doors anymore. It takes posturing and attitude to be on top today. Everyone's a poseur.

This. To which I would add that I just went out (out of vague curiosity inspired by this thread, and to see if my snap judgement was totally off) to listen to a couple of her songs. Pre-judgement not wrong. She's a predictably talentless marketing creation, nothing more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results